Kevin Devine LP7 & LP8 Kickstarter

AP has a whole write up about the 2 albums, which are now titled Bulldozer and Bubblegum. Golly am I excited. He also just announced something like 23 shows in October and November in support. I will certainly be going to CT or Boston.

Really hope there are kickstarter variants or some perk to having backed him early on. Regardless, liking the new track more and more with each listen. Bulldozer & Bubblegum are absolutely my two most anticipated releases for the rest of the year. Glad he's touring through Pittsburgh; Looking forward to seeing him again.

I was seriously surprised with the lack of board-love today's KD announcement received. I am a complete KD fanboy but regardless, I expected more support/excitement.

I think there is so much good music coming out this year it's hard to keep up. I enjoy KD, but I'll be more excited closer to the release date as some other people might be.

So, this is not really kickstarter related, but last night I saw Kevin play a house show. It was part of something called the Tin Roof Sessions.  They actually recorded the whole night, both audio/video for Kevin and another band called Hog Bucket.  So eventually the whole thing will be up on their website.  But when I heard him start to play this song I couldn't help myself.

http://youtu.be/nKr6HpvWwMs

Also, I have no idea how to embed the video, I tried.

^^ nice! I saw him posting about that on Instagram yesterday and hoped something would surface. Well in addition to that post, here is a new song from Bulldozer called "For Eugene". 

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/av/2013/08/song-premiere-kevin-devine---for-eugene.html

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread with this post or not. If someone wants to go ahead and do that, feel free. Here is the pre-order page for the new records, etc. 

http://kevindevine.gomerch.com/t/kevin-devine/pre-order

One thing I kind of have a problem with in all of this is that I backed him $75 and I'll get both vinyl albums and a vinyl bootleg LP. In that pre-order you can get both vinyl albums, both albums on CD, a poster and a t-shirt for $75. Backing the artist blindly gets you less? Guess I just have to cross my fingers for some kind of kickstarter variant or something. Oh well. The art for Bubblegum looks pretty cool. 

I backed the Kickstarter too, and I agree that this kind of sucks, but he also said he would try to throw in some extras to the backers. Also, without the Kickstarter this wouldn't be happening.

One thing I kind of have a problem with in all of this is that I backed him $75 and I'll get both vinyl albums and a vinyl bootleg LP. In that pre-order you can get both vinyl albums, both albums on CD, a poster and a t-shirt for $75. Backing the artist blindly gets you less? Guess I just have to cross my fingers for some kind of kickstarter variant or something. Oh well. The art for Bubblegum looks pretty cool.

edit: shipping for that bundle is $19.26, so I guess that evens things out?

Backing a KickStarter is not the same as purchasing goods at retail pricing. You are providing cash up front to help an idea to see fruition and receiving a gift as a thank you.

EDIT: this is why I disagree with the KickStarter platform being used to fund intangible ideas like music and art. It's meant for consumer goods.

I backed the Kickstarter too, and I agree that this kind of sucks, but he also said he would try to throw in some extras to the backers. Also, without the Kickstarter this wouldn't be happening.

Thats true. I totally agree though and I hate to sound like such an entitled child/terd in the post you quoted. When it all comes down to it, I'm just glad this is happening. Just the initial "wtf?" of seeing that threw me a bit. 

I believe Kickstarter includes shipping. Also yeah kickstarter is upfront funds for a project and a lot of times people end up paying more than waiting for a retail or mailorder version of something. That's why some people don't like kickstarter.

EDIT: I'm not saying this is the case here. Just in general. Also not trying to start a kickstarter debate.

Thats true. I totally agree though and I hate to sound like such an entitled child/terd in the post you quoted. When it all comes down to it, I'm just glad this is happening. Just the initial "wtf?" of seeing that threw me a bit.

I'm not super familiar with this kickstarter but it seems to me like you are getting 3 LPs for $75 shipped. That pre order bundle is 2 LPs, 2 CDs (who needs those if you have the LPs and digital copies?), a poster (cool to some people I guess, I haven't hung one since college), and a shirt for around $95 shipped. Seems like you got a pretty fair deal, as the extra LP is cooler than a poster and a shirt IMO.

I'm not super familiar with this kickstarter but it seems to me like you are getting 3 LPs for $75 shipped. That pre order bundle is 2 LPs, 2 CDs (who needs those if you have the LPs and digital copies?), a poster (cool to some people I guess, I haven't hung one since college), and a shirt for around $95 shipped. Seems like you got a pretty fair deal, as the extra LP is cooler than a poster and a shirt IMO.

I didn't realize shipping on that bundle when I first reacted. I'm probably in the minority but I like to have the CD's of my favorite artist's releases along with the LP/digital copies. But yeah, it's all good; I just reacted harshly initially.