Doctor Who Discussion

• 7 months later...

wasn't a huge fan:

Over an hour of just generally uncomfortable and puzzling scenes, with Matt Smith coming in at the end to save the episode.

They could have done that really early in the episode and actually had a sweet moment for Capaldi (similar to the way the first episode for Smith ended with him yelling at the Atraxi).

I know they are going for something different this season but that kinda fell flat. Hopefully it's setting up for something sweet, though.

My thoughts:

I thought the beginning was awkward (the whole basic reproduction of Tennant's arrival) all the way through the dinosaur in flames bit, but once they got to the plot of the episode I was enjoying it. I never really cared for Matt Smith, so I found myself really liking Capaldi. I feel like he was reminiscent of Eccleston in a way (especially at the end with the chips/coffee) and he's been my favorite since the reboot started. So, overall I was happy with it.

I also appreciated the way it seemed as if Moffat was taking some of the criticism he's been receiving and making it constructive with Clara's character and introducing more women (and gay women at that).

I agree! But I feel like that's an issue that's deeply rooted in the series now. Ever since Moffat took over 100%. It's a shame because I think Sherlock is brilliant. Whatever's happening over there needs to bleed into Doctor Who lol.

I don't really get your posts at all (not trying to be a dick, just saying). I think the overwhelming majority of DW fans like Tennant and Smith much better than Eccleston (but you're entitled to an opinion..). If you look at the IMDB ratings, there are a couple episodes from the first season with great ratings (9+), but then a good chunk of them are among the lowest rated for the second series.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436992/eprate?ref_=ttep_ql_3

What exactly is wrong with Clara? It is a show with a titular male character and the female is always going to be a supporting role. I'd say she can seem a little childish and sassy at times but also witty and fast. I can understand most of the comments here under "reception":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Oswald

Pretty similar to Amy. They put Rose on a pedestal, Martha was always trying to live up to her. Donna was kinda goofy/quick tempered but came around to seeing something better in life towards the end. I think Clara will be great on the second half of her arc -- become more of a leader and less of a girl looking for a fun ride.

Moffat's run has been great. If you look at the list of the episodes that were highly rated from the earlier years, he wrote most of those too. Just think it was one bad episode.

Don't think they were recreating Tennant's arrival at all, either (maybe slightly). Yeah, they both needed to sleep it off a bit. Tennant was pretty lucid for the moments he was awake, he just slept for a long time. Capaldi barely slept, but when he didn't, he was basically a bumbling idiot. Tennant came out of the box recognizing Mickey and Jackie. Don't see much of a connection there.

I don't really get your posts at all (not trying to be a dick, just saying). I think the overwhelming majority of DW fans like Tennant and Smith much better than Eccleston (but you're entitled to an opinion..). If you look at the IMDB ratings, there are a couple episodes from the first season with great ratings (9+), but then a good chunk of them are among the lowest rated for the second series.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436992/eprate?ref_=ttep_ql_3

What exactly is wrong with Clara? It is a show with a titular male character and the female is always going to be a supporting role. I'd say she can seem a little childish and sassy at times but also witty and fast. I can understand most of the comments here under "reception":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Oswald

Pretty similar to Amy. They put Rose on a pedestal, Martha was always trying to live up to her. Donna was kinda goofy/quick tempered but came around to seeing something better in life towards the end. I think Clara will be great on the second half of her arc -- become more of a leader and less of a girl looking for a fun ride.

Moffat's run has been great. If you look at the list of the episodes that were highly rated from the earlier years, he wrote most of those too. Just think it was one bad episode.

Don't think they were recreating Tennant's arrival at all, either (maybe slightly). Yeah, they both needed to sleep it off a bit. Tennant was pretty lucid for the moments he was awake, he just slept for a long time. Capaldi barely slept, but when he didn't, he was basically a bumbling idiot. Tennant came out of the box recognizing Mickey and Jackie. Don't see much of a connection there.

I'm not sure what's really to "get."  Search Google for criticism of Moffat's Doctor Who and you will understand what I'm talking about.  Google Eccleston's reasons for joining the reboot, for leaving after 1 series, and his reasons for never appearing in any Doctor Who Special.  I feel like Eccleston understands the character of Doctor Who better than most people. I don't care what the majority of DW fans like or what the ratings say, lol. Eccleston is my favorite, and Smith is not.  Just because what I'm contributing doesn't match what the majority thinks or what someone wrote on Wikipedia thinks doesn't make it any less of a statement.  There's no need to respond to my post the way you did.  I don't need you to discredit my opinion (then admit that maybe you agree).

I didn't say anything was wrong with Clara... I was referring to her skin-deep appreciation and love for the Doctor. Just like it was portrayed in the premiere. Moffat has received a lot of criticism for certain things (I'm not opening that can of worms here, if you want to, Google it like I said above), and he seems to be patching some of those criticisms up from what I saw in Saturday's episode. I was being positive toward the episode - I liked the thought that Moffat could be turning a new leaf and trying to address some things that many of the fans have been identifying for years.

If you want to point some stuff out I will read it but my point was that the ratings I posted are averages over thousands and thousands of fans which show a much higher appreciation for Moffat/Smith/Tennant than Eccleston/Davies. I can't google vague criticisms because it's the internet. You can find a criticism for everything.

There's nothing definitive about Eccleston leaving that would lead someone to believe he was completely forced out (unless I am missing a really telling interview). He said he didn't like the culture and didn't get along with the producers and writers. So what? It's not like Davies did his wife or punched him in the face. Billie Piper and Tennant didn't quit (well, tennant got sick of it after a while but that was after a long run).

Just seems to me like a dude who didn't get along with his boss, which is fine. Where are you getting that he left over principles regarding the character being butchered? Cause I don't see that anywhere via google.

I was being positive toward the episode - I liked the thought that Moffat could be turning a new leaf and trying to address some things that many of the fans have been identifying for years.

Yeah, and I was being negative towards it. I was being positive towards the last three seasons, which you were being negative to. I was kind of a surprised how differently we viewed the same show, so I went into detail about why I differed. You can like Eccleston. I liked him too, just not as much as others.

I'm a little miffed you disliked the Matt Smith years that much, because I absolutely loved them. But no big deal. There's a couple contributors to this thread. We should let it go.

Now you're being confusing. This is a discussion thread, there will be criticisms. My opinion came in when the writing for the show was being criticized. I felt that the writing has been lacking for a while, more specifically with Moffat's writing and Matt Smith as the Doctor. There were a lot of plot holes and inconsistencies in the Doctor as a character. (There are many blogs that back this up.) That's where my opinion stems from. I still enjoy the series and what's great about Doctor Who is that every few years we get to try a new face in the role. So it's okay if Capaldi or Smith don't work for some people. People fell in love with the character. That's whats always been so unique about the series.

I don't see the benefit in you letting yourself get miffed every time someone mentions that Matt Smith wasn't their favorite. What's the point in that? Everyone has different tastes. Throwing ratings and numbers at them won't make them change their mind.

Your messages in totality just seemed to imply the Doctor Who fans are sick of Moffat (and kind of by implication, Matt Smith as you can't really separate the Doctors completely from the show eras) and they need a change in show leadership, when the stats and ratings point to exactly the contrary. That is all. It's not like you framed the last few seasons to be "really good" but the Eccleston season to be "even better," which would have led to a completely different conversation.

There are some fans who are unhappy with Moffat. There are some fans, such as yourself, who are happy with Moffat. This happens all the time in any show, movie, band, anything with a fan base. I'm not understanding why you're taking all of this to heart.  & I never said they needed a change in show leadership. I said I didn't care for Matt Smith's Doctor and that Eccleston is my favorite.

To back up the fact that not all fans reflect the ratings:

http://stfu-moffat.tumblr.com/Moffat

http://stevenmoffatsucks.tumblr.com/

http://anti-moffat.tumblr.com/

http://canihaveahiddlestonplease.tumblr.com/post/49684796273/welcometothepettingzoomuthafucka

Now I'm not saying that I agree with any of those blogs, as I haven't read them all. My opinions are not as severe or strong-willed as those. My opinion pretty much stops at the plot holes - that would annoy me no matter who wrote it. I'm merely referencing them so it's clear that this isn't something made-up or something that is unheard of in the Doctor Who fandom.

I'm sorry you don't approve of the way I worded things? I don't know what else to tell you. I can't frame an opinion in a way that you prefer, because then it would be your opinion, not mine.

Just watched the new episode and I enjoyed it. Capaldi is pretty cool. I really liked him in the movie "In the Loop". I enjoyed the talk about the eyebrows. I think this will be a pretty good season.

I did laugh a few times in the episode -- the vat of acid, Clara's scan, fighting over the coat, the smell being everywhere -- all pretty good lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Did Ben Wheatley direct the new/first Capaldi episode? I've only ever seen one episode of Dr Who in my life but would be interested in seeing more if Wheatley is involved.

I see the show being filmed all the time in my city. A lot of the filming is done nearby in a smaller seaside town where I live, and they use the university buildings (where I work) quite a lot as well.