Overrated/Overhyped bands and or artist

A long time ago, I went to this tour that was Planes Mistaken For Stars, Onelinedrawing, From Autumn To Ashes, and Thursday.

Planes played like white hot fire, like some kind of bastard children of Motörhead and Sunny Day Real Estate. Loud, vicious, and passionate, very much in the spirit of rock and roll as it was handed down from us by our forefathers, all of it's inchoate ideas made solid by the likes of bands like the MC5 when the genre hit puberty in the late 60s.

Then Onelinedrawing played a set full of humor and rawness, poppy and sincere little raveups about loved ones and believing in yourself and a lot of shit that hardcore punk dudes sing about but in a totally different but okay way. And a bunch of old Far songs, remade for one guy and his little R2D2.

Then FATA and Thursday played, and by the end of the night, I may have actually turned into a weeping, whining, effete sack of shit. How many mixed metaphors is too many? You would deign to ask?

I'll have you know that I'm a total gentleman. Aside from a little damage to public property and underage drinking, I don't see who got harmed or exploited.

Unless you're referring to the abortion, which is not a proper discussion to be having here.

I'm sensing a lot of intercultural hostility here. I used to think of other people as "hicks." Then I realized that other people's ideas of innocent fun or how they choose to spend their Saturday nights or what kind of stories they consider romantic are no more or less valid than mine. Even if they involve bonfires and shootin' stuff and listening to 35 year old cock rock anthems.

But hey! Let's get back to talking about what kind of music bears being rated as "overrated/overhyped" because they violate some unwritten standard of objectivity in what is, face it, a pretty low-standard facet of our garbage culture.

Personally? I think 90% of "active" bands should hang it up and go back to school like sensible people. They aren't adding anything to the cultural zeitgeist. Some of them write some alright songs. Most of them have intelligence and talent that would be better used elsewhere. Leave rock and roll to people who aren't sensible and shouldn't be doing useful things with their lives like being speech pathologists and nurses and helping autistic children. Leave it to the nihilists and the scumbags and the clinically depressed and insane and hopeless and offensive. Most of these kids in these polite fuckin' bands aren't making rock and roll better, but they could be making the world a better place.

edit : and nobody gets to pull the Dr. Dan card. I said 90%!

don't you dare tell me i don't know how to live. especially if your basis for that is thinking that ac/dc is garbage.

you clearly haven't listened to the japandroids. they take everything you're trying to say and make it cooler, more real, and straight up better.

I stepped into this thread planning to offer that I'll offer to be the arbiter of good taste. Post the band and I'll just give you the thumbs up or down - forget perspective I know great music.

Then I'm seeing a bunch of people pissing on AC/DC and there is no way they've listened to "Highway to Hell" or "Back in Black" all the way through because if you had you'd be cutting off the sleeves of your Pop's dress shirt, throwing on a striped tie and hopping on one foot down the driveway to school. Those albums are burners, amazing rock n roll. I won't profess a love of their entire catalogue but then again the bands I can do that for have only 2-3 albums before they dissolved. Anyway, beyond those full LPs, AC/DC could do a 4xLP "Best Of" box set that would light your needle on fire if played in succession. Guaranteed. 

Ok, post your bands, I'm ready to give you the truth if you ask. 

don't you dare tell me i don't know how to live. especially if your basis for that is thinking that ac/dc is garbage.

you clearly haven't listened to the japandroids. they take everything you're trying to say and make it cooler, more real, and straight up better.

Taking this just a leetle bit personally.

I didn't mean that in an insulting way - I thought it was pretty clear by the "stand out on your dying lawn" bit that I was just having a little fun.

But there'd be no Japandroids (and yes, I have heard them) if not for bands like AC/DC. And they'll never be the icons that AC/DC are. I'm not even really a fan of AC/DC - I don't think I have any of their albums - but it's hard to deny that there's a reason that they've resonated with so many people for so long. They've had legions of imitators. I think in some ways, it's easier to hate the idea of them.

It's like someone saying Led Zeppelin is overrated. Listen to rock music before Zeppelin and after and tell me they didn't shift the foundations.

But ultimately, this is why these kinds of discussions are sort of dumb. I'd say the only real "overhyped and overrated" bands are any anybody who is a flash in the pan one minute and forgotten the next. I'd think of an example, but I can't. Case closed.

I'll have you know that I'm a total gentleman. Aside from a little damage to public property and underage drinking, I don't see who got harmed or exploited.

Unless you're referring to the abortion, which is not a proper discussion to be having here.

I'm sensing a lot of intercultural hostility here. I used to think of other people as "hicks." Then I realized that other people's ideas of innocent fun or how they choose to spend their Saturday nights or what kind of stories they consider romantic are no more or less valid than mine. Even if they involve bonfires and shootin' stuff and listening to 35 year old cock rock anthems.

But hey! Let's get back to talking about what kind of music bears being rated as "overrated/overhyped" because they violate some unwritten standard of objectivity in what is, face it, a pretty low-standard facet of our garbage culture.

Personally? I think 90% of "active" bands should hang it up and go back to school like sensible people. They aren't adding anything to the cultural zeitgeist. Some of them write some alright songs. Most of them have intelligence and talent that would be better used elsewhere. Leave rock and roll to people who aren't sensible and shouldn't be doing useful things with their lives like being speech pathologists and nurses and helping autistic children. Leave it to the nihilists and the scumbags and the clinically depressed and insane and hopeless and offensive. Most of these kids in these polite fuckin' bands aren't making rock and roll better, but they could be making the world a better place.

edit : and nobody gets to pull the Dr. Dan card. I said 90%!

I stepped into this thread planning to offer that I'll offer to be the arbiter of good taste. Post the band and I'll just give you the thumbs up or down - forget perspective I know great music.

Then I'm seeing a bunch of people pissing on AC/DC and there is no way they've listened to "Highway to Hell" or "Back in Black" all the way through because if you had you'd be cutting off the sleeves of your Pop's dress shirt, throwing on a striped tie and hopping on one foot down the driveway to school. Those albums are burners, amazing rock n roll. I won't profess a love of their entire catalogue but then again the bands I can do that for have only 2-3 albums before they dissolved. Anyway, beyond those full LPs, AC/DC could do a 4xLP "Best Of" box set that would light your needle on fire if played in succession. Guaranteed. 

Ok, post your bands, I'm ready to give you the truth if you ask. 

This is the most truth Ive ever read on this forum!!!  You guys both NAILED it.

As AC/DC stands im addicted to the Bon Scott era, always have and always will.  But with that said Back In Black is just incredible start to finish, that album kicks you in the face and has you begging for more.

I'd like ac/dc more if didn't involve camero, iroc z and cheap beer. All the farmers here blast dat shit. Over and over. Used for kickoffs, halftime shows. It's good music, just make it stop. Too much.

all iroc-zs are camaros, but not all camaros are iroc-zs. and cheap beer is the only thing appropriate for drinking while listening to ac/dc.

Both awful entertainers but truly 

Guns 'N' Roses > AC/DC

Although I'd never go anywhere either artists' music 

If AC/DC and Guns'n'Roses aren't artists, then burn down the Louvre. Both bands have made art that has spoken to me more than anything hanging in a gallery has.

Candy Hearts.

I've told the story of seeing them live having never heard of them. I'd assumed it was their 3rd show or something since it was so bad. Then I find out they had just signed to B9 and had released a bunch of stuff. Awful. I tried to listen again after people here told me I was wrong. I was right.