I need 100 new songs to listen to

mrewest

Got me a Spotify account that I can listen to at work.

I think it would be a good idea to get 100 songs I've never listened to and check out about 10 a day for 10 days.

Give me one band and song per person.

If it's something I already know, I'll skip it.

The 100 songs I go with I'll list in this OP and cross out as I listen to it and give feedback.

If for some reason I can't find it in Spotify, I'll try and make a note of it.

FYI, I love instrumental stuff. And these bands...

Muse

Deftones

Thrice

Murder By Death

Radiohead

La Dispute

...lots of others

I hate pop punk and country.

If this thread dies out soon, I'll just take what I can get.

GO!

EDIT: Add the name of the album said song is on.

Day 1

10: Lungfish – Space Orgy

***Man did I really dislike this song. Just way too monotonous for my tastes.

9: Explosions in the Sky – Your Hand In Mine

***As much as I love instrumental music, I have yet to hear an EITS song that didn’t bore me to death. I gravitate more to the big, full, loud, heavier side of instrumental stuff.

8: Jimmy and His Flask – Call it What You Will

***I actually liked this song, but I feel like I would have like this a hell of a lot more back in my Warped Tour days.

7: Neil Young – Heart of Gold

***Simple, yet very good. Again, probably a song I should have known already.

6: Scissors For Lefty – Mama Your Boys Will Find A Home

***I kept going back and forth on this one but overall I liked it.

5: The Horrors – Sea Within A Sea

***Didn’t care for the guy’s voice that much but the instrumental portion was so damn good despite being a longer song. Definitely would like to check this band out more.

4: Vacationer – Gone

***Probably the most unique of the batch. It reminded me of a song I heard by Lilacs and Champagne (a side project of guys from Grails) except with vocals. Loved the beat of this song.

3: HRVRD – Inevitable and I

***I love a good acoustic song. I got a pop-punk vibe from this which I typically shy away from but this song was fantastic. Not sure if this is an anomaly of this band, but if their overall catalogue is this good, I need to listen to them more.

2: Ted Leo – The High Party

***I honestly don’t know why I liked this song as much as I did. I didn’t think it was that special overall. But shit, it’s very infectious. Kept getting in my head. Kept going back to this song wanting to listen to it again.

1: Author – Separation

***I immediately gravitated to this song. Sounded most like my style in music. Loved the overall sound of it. Bits of it reminded me of Muse mixed with Anberlin or something like that. I need more suggestions by this band.

Day 2

10: Grinderman - Get It On

***Yikes

9: Samiam – When We’re Together

***Hated this singer. And the music was boring so it didn’t off-set him one bit unfortunately.

8: Fugazi – Sweet and Low

***Just really bored by this one.

7: Weatherbox – Trippin’ the Life Fantastic

***Vocals completely ruined this for me. Instrumentally, really good.

6: Fela Kuti – Zombie

***Not bad, not good. Very indifferent on it. Instrumentally impressive but just didn’t tickle my fancy. And way too long for me to want to listen to it more than once or twice. Bonus points for saying zombie a million times though. I love zombies.

5: The Menzingers – Gates

***This was a band I was really looking forward to hearing because of all the praise this album has received here and elsewhere. Song didn’t blow me away by any means, but it was solid. I feel like I would enjoy this album as a whole more at first rather than just hearing an individual song. So I’ll have to check out the rest of this album before I can really determine my thoughts on this one.

4: Mini Mansions – Monk

***I really can’t put my finger on why I kind of enjoyed this song. I got like an old-school pop music vibe out of this one (except for the second of screaming at the end). Had a certain catchiness to it though that had me wanting to come back to it.

3: Geographer – Kites

***I feel like this most closely resembled that Vacationer song I listened to from the first batch. Only thing that got on my damn nerves was the high-pitched 8-bit-esque noise throughout the whole song. If it wasn’t for that, this may have been my favorite song of the batch. But damn that noise was annoying.

2: El Ten Eleven – Transitions

***Obviously leaning more towards the mellower side of “post-rock” (quotations because it’s too broad of a genre to be lumped under of the same name in my opinion, but I digress). Usually I shy away from this but this had a bit more of a groove to it. Has a good “filler music” quality to it. I feel that sounds like a negative, but not at all. Something I could put on when I need something to fill the quiet, yet don’t want to pay too much attention to but it’s also something I’d thoroughly enjoy if I did. Very solid.

1: Minus the Bear – Thanks for the Killer Game of Crisco Twister

***Always meant to give this band a listen but never have. I don’t know why I thought this band was heavier (unless this is just a mellower song), but this was really catchy in a good way. Was the one song of this batch I wanted to keep coming back to. It actually sounded like El Ten Eleven (from above) with words.

Day 3

10: Misser – I’m Really Starting To Hope The World Ends in 2012

***Pop-punk, so yeah, I hated it. And yes I listened to the whole thing. It pretty much had every element of pop-punk I hate the most.

9: Benton Falls – No Hero

***Sounded like a more boring Counting Crows. I like Counting Crows, but this song was just too dull for my liking.

8: Bent Left – Creationism

***Another band that sounds like they’d be a fun Warped Tour band, but I am far past my Warped Tour phase so this isn’t something I’d go out of my way to listen to.

7: The Crash Engine – So It Goes

***This had a 90’s Alt-rock feel to it. So I probably would have liked it better then than I do now. Not bad, but nothing I care to pursue further.

6: Daughn Gibson – Tiffany Lou

***Probably the most unique song of the batch. It honestly wasn’t that bad, but it was impossible for me to take the singer serious because that’s exactly how I sound when I’m singing like an asshole to a stupid Rihanna song or something (it gets laughs a plenty), only a tad breathier at times. I call it my “SNL Will Ferrel Robert Goulet” voice. Instrumentally though, I enjoyed the uniqueness. Just couldn’t get past that singer haha.

5: Joy Wants Eternity – From Embrace to Embrace

***Not bad. A little too slow moving for my liking. As the song went along it got better and better but I feel like it took a little too long to get to that point thus making it hard for repeated listens. Maybe this would be better in the context of a complete album.

4: The Mars Volta – Cassandra Gemini

***I own a Mars Volta album which I like a lot, but just for whatever reason never went out of my way to listen to them more (which is a mistake on my part). Wasn’t aware this song was 30 MINUTES. But every second of it was awesome and reassured me that I need to listen to their whole catalogue.

3: Real Estate – All The Same

***I know I bitch about certain songs being too boring, and this song is very simplistic which would normally fall into the “boring” category, but excuse my hypocrisy for saying I really enjoyed this song. It just seemed to perfectly satisfy my musical “palate”. It’s like what I have heard referred to as “umami” with food. It just has that intangible quality that makes you love it without a really good explanation as to why.

2: Titus Andronicus – The Battle of Hampton Roads

***Didn’t care for the singer much at first but as this song went along (I didn’t realize this was 14 minutes at first) this song just got more and more amazing. Freaking epic Americana with bagpipes? Yes please. Fantastic.

1: The Dillinger Escape Plan – When Good Dogs Do Bad Things

***I have heard of this band for years but never took the time to listen to them. This song was so absurdly awesome. I imagine this is what the soundtrack to Hell sounds like. I basically wanted to just destroy everything while listening to this song. I probably terrified the people I work with while this was on. I require more of this.