Bummer

me either dave, me either.  the worst part about this is that he came here at 19 years old with nothing and left with his HS diploma, his CNA license, a drivers license, and had just became a father.  I saw him at graduation with his 1 mo kid and he was so ecstatic to get life going for his son, it was awesome, and to read the paper and see that he was busted in a hotel room dealing heroine just really bums me out.

i used to hang out with a group of kids until i was like 15, now they are all either in jail, or dead because of drug use. last time i saw one of them (about 4 years ago) he was working at a burger king, was clearly strung out and still using. 6 months later I read the he overdosed. he was one of the only kids in my little group that wasn't a down right criminal. meaning he was a nice guy and other than drugs lived his life pretty decently. it was a bit sad but then i just thought about how lucky i was to cut ties with all of them. 

sorry to hear that man, hope things start looking up.

@Mike T

what's the biggest hurdle you have when it comes to transitioning someone with that kind of lifestyle? What do you re-assure them with as a notion to stay clean?

well, to clarify first, I am not a social worker, and I do not have a social worker background or education, but my job basically entails all of it.  it really depends on the young adult.  through the final couple months of the program before graduating, we focused on his newborn, or soon-to-be newborn, and that he's doing this all for his child.  that was his driving motivator to getting everything he ended up getting.  i dont know if that was the right way to go about it, again, my job is mostly focused on career services, getting employed, and staying employed, but any barriers that come up before/during/after employment that he may need assistance with, referrals to other local, state, federal programs/assistance, I help out.  

i'll be fine, its just depressing to watch someone come from a troubled background, try to and succeed in getting the tools they need to begin advancing in life, only to end up back where they began 7 months later.

You have to look at it as though you helped to give him the chance at turning his life around.  If people like you weren't doing what you do then he never would have had the opportunities to turn things around. 

You didn't fail him.  Either his addiction got the best of him, or he chose the "easier" way to live.

i've been working under a financial advisor for 2 months now.

last month, she met with a client.. he went home and discussed his financial situation with his husband, and that conversation lead to a divorce.

this month, she was scheduled to meet another client. he e-mailed us last week saying he couldn't work with us right now, because his boyfriend became ill and was submitted to the icu.

when she checked in today to see how it was going, he had just gotten back from the funeral.

upon hearing that, i was able to put the pieces together that his boyfriend was the guy i went to school with who has been all over my facebook for the last week. got sick, went to the hospital, had pneumonia, and it was bad enough to kill him.

it was really heavy.