I can't concentrate.

I've actually been noticing my ability to concentrate is sorely lacking.  With me I think it's that I've actually trained myself to lack the ability to concentrate. 

I multi-task way to much. I swear that is causing me to completely lack an ability to just knuckle down and concentrate on one specific task.

I don't use adderall but from what I know about it I think it's a reasonably mild and widely prescribed drug for people who have trouble concentrating. Let's not make it seem it seem like Ry is popping ecstasy here.

And on a random side note, read the other day that ecstasy is made from the sassafras root, which is what root beer was originally made out of. I guess the tree has been really overharvested in Asia and is endangered. So anytime someone does ecstasy, they are destroying a little piece of the rainforest.

Study habits are learned man. If you have a short amount of time to get ready and you are struggling I'd attempt to radically try something different. New Study Space, new snacks & drinks while you hit the books and most of all I'd probably shut down the technology. 

I wish you the best man - good luck with the exam and the prep. 

i don't know if lebowski caught my ramblings elsewhere, but the exact issue i have with adderall kicked my ass yet again. couldn't sleep. finally fell asleep. woke up two hours later. i've now been awake for 7 hours. thought i was crashing a little while ago, but i'm still goin..

dave, fortunately, the exam still hasn't even been scheduled. but i realized last night that i'm going through exactly what i did last year when i first started studying insurance- i'm so flustered with all this information being way over my head that i'm forgetting everything is pretty much defined by its very title. as i get more familiar with it all, it'll be much easier to retain.

again, i really think i just need to make it a nightly thing for the next month or two.

i totally feel your pain and put myself through the same shit. the only thing that helps me is getting rid of distractions and that doesn't even help very much. if it's not a pressing issue, i just don't think about it. i wait til the last minute for everything and any prescriptions i've tried have had horrible side effects or i became immune to them super quick. all through school i was always scoring in the top 1% of my class in standardized testing but had a C average and even failed a class or two. It fuckin sucks when I look back and realize what would've been different if I applied myself.

Maybe I shouldn't speak about Adderall without having tried it. My point was more that sometimes the line between what is "acceptable" drug use and "unacceptable" drug use makes no sense. Not trying to start the "pot is less damaging than alcohol and should be legalized" argument (although that is a common one). But there are all kinds of legal stimulants out there that do pretty much the same thing (a lot of them are diet pills). Is taking an adderall really any worst than someone drinking a pot of coffee a day (which many do)? Both are going to significantly eff up your sleep patterns and make you feel whacked out.

Not contributing anything worthwhile, really - but I largely blame VC more than any other site for my inability to get work done. My home office and art space are rolled into one and I often find I can't last five minutes working on a project without having to idly refresh the new threads page.

I'm beginning to see a correlation here what with how everyone else is always on... ;)

Shutting off VC until tomorrow. I should be spending about 10 minutes a day on here lately and it's more like 3 hours. Got sucked into these never-ending threads (confessions, mlb discussion, etc...).

I reeeeeally don't feel like working on my dissertation but it's due in 2 weeks. Know what I gotta do.

Anytime I'm having trouble retaining information I break it down into an outline using key words, almost like I'm making notes for a speech. Writing things out helps a lot. I tend to remember/retain things better through physical interaction. Everybody has a different learning type. If reading isn't yours it could lead to your inability to focus. I would try to find alternative ways of taking in the info.

not sure if making fun of me.... I Saved Latin and the number is just a random number. its part of a quote from the movie Rushmore.

Not making fun. If it was iSavedLatin54 I would have read it that way. Latin sticks out but not the I Saved part. Maybe I just tarded and that was clear to everyone else but me.

Not a huge Rushmore fan. Saw it once. I think Wes Anderson movies have pretty much gotten better as his career progressed.