1950's Jukebox Vinyl: Recommendations?

I assume:

-you are looking for LP compilations, not sporadic singles or 7" box sets

-you want hits and not obscurities since you don't own much yet

-you don't actually want 40s music since you're referring to Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly.

I have mountains of this stuff so I'd be glad to give you my two cents

There are hundreds, if not thousands of comps out there like this. Being made way back as early AS the 50's. unfortunately, most of them sound like shit, are basically dubbed off the singles, and aren't worth your time or the 10 cents it costs you for them at the thrift store. Nothing has the cool factor of the original single anyway, and in most situations, clean copies of this will sound the best.

BUT. With that said, there is a very good series of comps out out in the 80s by MCA called vintage music collector's series. The covers look like a bottle of absolut vodka, and there is something like 20 volumes. The tracks span between the 50's and 60's, but most of the majorly big hits of the era are represented, all the ones you'd expect to find in a 1950's rock jukebox.

Furthermore, the records were mastered from the original masters by Steve Hoffman, and they sound incredible. You'd never know they were recorded more than 50 years ago. Very in-the-room and lifelike sound on the tracks that weren't muddled with distortion from the equipment of the era. Highly recommended. Check the tracklisting for volume 1, I don't think you'll be disappointed with these.

I assume:

-you are looking for LP compilations, not sporadic singles or 7" box sets

-you want hits and not obscurities since you don't own much yet

-you don't actually want 40s music since you're referring to Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly.

I have mountains of this stuff so I'd be glad to give you my two cents

It sounds like I should be buying singles over comps, I just know I need more music history in my collection. 

Hits and anything you think is awesome I may not know. (As an example I love that Penny and Quarters 45 I bought)

Yeah the 40's as well. Like I said more history. 

I'd love your knowledge. 

There are hundreds, if not thousands of comps out there like this. Being made way back as early AS the 50's. unfortunately, most of them sound like shit, are basically dubbed off the singles, and aren't worth your time or the 10 cents it costs you for them at the thrift store. Nothing has the cool factor of the original single anyway, and in most situations, clean copies of this will sound the best.

BUT. With that said, there is a very good series of comps out out in the 80s by MCA called vintage music collector's series. The covers look like a bottle of absolut vodka, and there is something like 20 volumes. The tracks span between the 50's and 60's, but most of the majorly big hits of the era are represented, all the ones you'd expect to find in a 1950's rock jukebox.

Furthermore, the records were mastered from the original masters by Steve Hoffman, and they sound incredible. You'd never know they were recorded more than 50 years ago. Very in-the-room and lifelike sound on the tracks that weren't muddled with distortion from the equipment of the era. Highly recommended. Check the tracklisting for volume 1, I don't think you'll be disappointed with these.

Are those on vinyl? I'm very interested in those!

It sounds like I should be buying singles over comps, I just know I need more music history in my collection. 

Hits and anything you think is awesome I may not know. (As an example I love that Penny and Quarters 45 I bought)

Yeah the 40's as well. Like I said more history. 

I'd love your knowledge. 

I'm not going to disagree with the majority of what mrrom92 is saying but I am under the impression that you want to discover as much music as possible. I'm pretty sure you'd be perfectly happy with the quality of some compilations that you can get very cheap. If you find songs that you absolutely love from those, you can track down clean copies of original singles from there. Because you can sink a lot of money into those real fast.

I didn't know the history of the MCA comps but those sound like a great option, I know I've seen those on vinyl. I also like "Golden Goodies" and "Oldies but Goodies", they have a ton of volumes and are easy to find very cheap.

My dad has 30,000+ singles and 5,000+ albums. His favorite music is doo wop and 50s rock and roll. He makes his own CDs from them of his favorite songs. I know he's made discs from 1953 through the 80s. He has also made several discs of "Little Known Records" and "B Sides", which would all consist of songs that weren't hits. I can dig up those track listings if you like. There's so much out there that it's hard to know where to start. I'll also ask him what his favorite comps are as well.

I'll ask him what kind of 40s music he likes, but I'm sure it's few and far between. Although he still probably has lots of it. He's a bit of a historian with music as well, he likes to have everything on hand in case people are interested it like yourself.

40's music, you'll be looking for lots of big band, swing era stuff. Avoid all compilations, CD or otherwise. I never heard a single one that sounded even remotely as good as the original discs they are dubbed on. Usually lots of heavy filtering. If you're looking for a very comprehensive LP set, there's a 10Lp time life set called "The Great Band Era", or something to that effect. It sounds okay, better than most comps, and the packaging is nice, but it still sounds like barf compared to the originals. Still a good value due to how many essential tracks are on there, easily found for less than 10 bucks. I sold one about a year ago in brand new mint condition for about $9. Including shipping.

I've been considering making a video for a while now, that would demonstrate how much life they suck out of these songs when they do transfers from the original discs. Which is a shame, because its not impossible to get a good sound from them with a little care. I can do it, why can't the big labels?

40's music, you'll be looking for lots of big band, swing era stuff. Avoid all compilations, CD or otherwise. I never heard a single one that sounded even remotely as good as the original discs they are dubbed on. Usually lots of heavy filtering. If you're looking for a very comprehensive LP set, there's a 10Lp time life set called "The Great Band Era", or something to that effect. It sounds okay, better than most comps, and the packaging is nice, but it still sounds like barf compared to the originals. Still a good value due to how many essential tracks are on there, easily found for less than 10 bucks. I sold one about a year ago in brand new mint condition for about $9. Including shipping.

I've been considering making a video for a while now, that would demonstrate how much life they suck out of these songs when they do transfers from the original discs. Which is a shame, because its not impossible to get a good sound from them with a little care. I can do it, why can't the big labels?

If that's the box set I am thinking of, I probably have three of them. OP (or whoever) can have one for free if they want to pay the shipping.

The company I work for (oldies.com) sells thousands of jukebox singles like this. You can find pretty much any jukebox single you'd be looking for there. Granted this isn't compilations or the like but we have the 7" individually.

Holy shit, I need to get in contact with you.  I grew up with '50's and '60's music thanks to my dad.  Gene McDaniels is a favorite of mine, and Motown/doo wop is a genre I love more than anything.  If there's any chance of any deals/insight, let me know.