Speaker Help

Keep in mind that I am new to this kind of stuff and don't know too much about electronics, especially turntables. But, HEY! Everyone has to start somewhere, right?

So, I picked this up from Goodwill today for about 15 bucks, got it home, and realized that the speakers I have do not have an output that matches what I need for this player. Any idea of what kind of speakers I should get or what should I do?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

29eswo8.jpg

30m0oc5.jpg

I'm not 100%, but those look like RCA outputs. The easiest thing you can do is buy an RCA cable in the length you desire.

rca-cable-2.jpg

Then take the connectors off on one end to expose bare wire.

100_2795.jpg

100_2779.jpg

Connect that wire to the speakers. Please note that the cable connected to the center pin (the red one in the instance pictured) should connect to the "+" terminal on your speaker, and the one connected to the outer ring should connect to the "-" terminal on your speaker. 

I try so hard not to judge. It's hard to figure out where to draw the line in a situation like that.

You shouldn't judge. I don't think this is called the "Elitist Audiophile" forum. If that's what it's going to be then the name should be changed. Not everyone can afford to drop thousands of dollars on audio equipment, so for someone to look down their nose at someone else just because they don't have expensive audiophile gear is just weak. I can understand if the guy comes in being a douche, but he was just asking for a little help.

I really appreciate all of the posters on here who contribute their knowledge to those of us who are trying to figure all this stuff out.

You shouldn't judge. I don't think this is called the "Elitist Audiophile" forum. If that's what it's going to be then the name should be changed. Not everyone can afford to drop thousands of dollars on audio equipment, so for someone to look down their nose at someone else just because they don't have expensive audiophile gear is just weak. I can understand if the guy comes in being a douche, but he was just asking for a little help.

I really appreciate all of the posters on here who contribute their knowledge to those of us who are trying to figure all this stuff out.

You're right about being kinder, but it's not always about money. Sometimes being frank and honest can seem harsh, and maybe better words can be used sometimes, but some points need to be made, like buying a part of something you know nothing about at a Goodwill is most likely, not a good idea. Now, does this person need to go curl up in a ball and cry and feel offended and hurt? I don't think so, but because this is the internet, inevitably, it will be so.

You're right about being kinder, but it's not always about money. Sometimes being frank and honest can seem harsh, and maybe better words can be used sometimes, but some points need to be made, like buying a part of something you know nothing about at a Goodwill is most likely, not a good idea. Now, does this person need to go curl up in a ball and cry and feel offended and hurt? I don't think so, but because this is the internet, inevitably, it will be so.

Sometimes people use the facade of being honest with just being a prick, which is more about the content of what is said rather than choice of words. If someone doesn't like someone's equipment, then they should shake their fist at the computer screen, there's no need to belittle someone with passive aggressive advice, especially when they are not asking for an opinion. And that's all it mostly is, an opinion.

I guess there is has to be a comic book store guy in every hobby.

I'm sorry, did I not try to genuinely help the OP? Did I not ask for more information to further help the OP?

I'm sorry, did I not try to genuinely help the OP? Did I not ask for more information to further help the OP?

Nah, you are one of the people who are helpful without the BS. When people answer other people's questions, no matter how dumb, it can help a bunch of other people who see the thread as well. Thanks.

There aren't positive and negative terminals, so I'm guessing that the included speakers had single RCA connectors where the inside male portion is positive and the female negative (which is common on lower end all-in-one systems).  It's hard to tell from the picture, but the RCA terminals may have been broken off.  How are you with a soldering iron?