Any Mechanics on board?

I own a 1991 S-10 Blazer with 180k miles on it that was passed down to me after my grandfather had passed away. It has been a car with a hell of an amount of problems, but I am broke so I will have to cope. Maybe someone on this vinyl board will know what's up?

My problem: My car randomly dies out in different scenarios 
1. It dies at the light and fires back up
2. It dies while going about 20 mph (Guessing because no speedometer)
3. It dies right after cranking. 
4. After dieing it dies again and makes a huge rambling noise.

Now here's what I have done since I have had the car:
1. Changed the oil out (2 times since December)
2. Had a well established mechanic change lines/ re-run fluids (5 months ago)
3. Replaced the anti-freeze (Alternator cut into my line)
4. Replaced battery and alternator (Connections are sturdy)
5. Ran sea-foam and injector cleaner
6. Ran new vacuum lines.
7. Replaced fuel pump

Also something worth noting is that around where the oil is put in it is wet as if something were to be leaking, but no clue where from?

Is it unusual for my accelerator pedal to be so hard to press down on at times? I had a friend (Volvo mechanic) look into that and thought that the throttle might be junked up but it's not. Sometimes the car will want to put some power to the engine right after I take off my foot but it stops as soon as I tap the brake.

Any idea what I can do to see what is causing my problem?

When I used my code reader all it gave me was speedo. That's all. Nothing else.

Beyond my level of auto knowledge. Not going to try and give a weak guess and leave it to guys who know more. I don't think it takes too much auto knowledge to say that when a 20 year old car is acting like this, it's time to stop putting money into it and start saving money for a new (used) car.

Sounds like your truck is not fit for the road. You might cause an accident that kills someone if it stalls out at the worst possible time. I get being broke. Do you HAVE to have a car right now? Can you get by with a bus / bicycle / whatever? You'll save a ton of loot without gas and insurance. It's unorthodox (we are used to everyone having a car not in a big city) but might be the "outside the box" solution...

Yeah. I need to have transportation. I live in the suburbs and my job is about 20 miles away. Unluckily co-workers live on the opposite side of town of me. This and I am having to pay hospital and insurance bills limits me from saving for practically anything in the next year. 

The computer reading isn't compatible with my car :/

Yeah. I need to have transportation. I live in the suburbs and my job is about 20 miles away. Unluckily co-workers live on the opposite side of town of me. This and I am having to pay hospital and insurance bills limits me from saving for practically anything in the next year. 

The computer reading isn't compatible with my car :/

Post on CL and find a ride share? Or use a website for finding people to share rides? Get a new job? Get a second job and take a loan to get a car? Do you rent? If so and the job is something long term, can you move closer to it?

Not trying to give you a hard time. Just saying "20+ year old car + multiple issues + mechanics can't solve it + unsafe = time to stop dumping money into it, figure out a different way to get around, or get a new car".

I'll shut up and hope you get some good mechanic advice now.

I've tried seeing if I could finance a car. Any dealership looks at me like I am the usual 18 year old and thinks that I can pay double of what I should. I by no means am rolling in enough dough to be able to add a car payment on top of student loans, medical bills, and insurance. To make things tougher I can't go through my parents because they went bankrupt around 4 months ago. No credit there, and obviously since my car was handed down from grandparents I can't do that.

Tough shit. I was hoping there might be a simple fox to get me through the summer without a mountain of debt.

I've tried seeing if I could finance a car. Any dealership looks at me like I am the usual 18 year old and thinks that I can pay double of what I should. I by no means am rolling in enough dough to be able to add a car payment on top of student loans, medical bills, and insurance. To make things tougher I can't go through my parents because they went bankrupt around 4 months ago. No credit there, and obviously since my car was handed down from grandparents I can't do that.

Tough shit. I was hoping there might be a simple fox to get me through the summer without a mountain of debt.

'simple fox' forever quoted.

At least you have time on your hands. You can always ride a bike or use public transportation.

Maybe you can trade it for something a little more trustworthy on craigslist? You're going to have to put sentimental things aside. Just hang onto it and maybe some day when you have steady income you can fix it up and give it to your future kid.

So true. That happened once on my 86 Volvo station wagon. It would run good without it, but couldn't be driven.

I agree with Chiefwahoo. But don't spend too much either. Try to fix it yourself or find someone that can help you. I wouldn't give up on it cause older vehicles should be easier to work on. My dad always said it was either fuel or electrical when having starting problems, but I don't know with this.

I'm more than a bit of a mechanic. Check the ignition system first, but you may have a EGR malfunction.

You mentioned the spark plugs have been replaced, which is the first thing to do.  
Do a test on the wires/distributor to ensure they aren't faulty.

how to check:

I don't use a fancy grounding clip for the plug, simply lay the plug within 1/8 inch of any engine metal (usually the cam/valve cover/cylinder head) and have someone else start the engine while you observe (don't touch the plug or wire while the engine is cranking/starting/running...it'll give you a nasty shock)

If that looks correct, you may have an EGR blockage. (which would explain the aforementioned grime)

http://www.ehow.com/list_7379595_symptoms-clogged-egr.html

I couldn't help but notice you didn't do a fuel filter when doing the fuel pump, surely not?

Feel free to ask or PM me.  I loves cars.

Just letting you guys know I changed out the o2 sensor as well as cleaned/replaced gaskets on my throttle body. The thing is running with no problems. Next comes egr modifications that firefox reccomended. While I am at it I am also rerunning some of my vaccum lines (they are crumbling in my hand. I am so glad I didn't listen to the advice to just give up on this car. Fixed this whole problem for $20 tops.

I'm more than a bit of a mechanic. Check the ignition system first, but you may have a EGR malfunction.

You mentioned the spark plugs have been replaced, which is the first thing to do.  

Do a test on the wires/distributor to ensure they aren't faulty.

how to check:

I don't use a fancy grounding clip for the plug, simply lay the plug within 1/8 inch of any engine metal (usually the cam/valve cover/cylinder head) and have someone else start the engine while you observe (don't touch the plug or wire while the engine is cranking/starting/running...it'll give you a nasty shock)

If that looks correct, you may have an EGR blockage. (which would explain the aforementioned grime)

http://www.ehow.com/list_7379595_symptoms-clogged-egr.html

I couldn't help but notice you didn't do a fuel filter when doing the fuel pump, surely not?

Feel free to ask or PM me.  I loves cars.

Good to know we have a mechanic on board for future reference.

Just letting you guys know I changed out the o2 sensor as well as cleaned/replaced gaskets on my throttle body. The thing is running with no problems. Next comes egr modifications that firefox reccomended. While I am at it I am also rerunning some of my vaccum lines (they are crumbling in my hand. I am so glad I didn't listen to the advice to just give up on this car. Fixed this whole problem for $20 tops.

Awesome man. I will just add that everyone who was suggesting it might be time to give up was doing so under the thought process that if well established mechanics can't figure it out, it seems unlikely that a google search and message board would get it done. I guess it would call into question how good your mechanic friend is?

But anyways, good stuff.

Good to know we have a mechanic on board for future reference.

Awesome man. I will just add that everyone who was suggesting it might be time to give up was doing so under the thought process that if well established mechanics can't figure it out, it seems unlikely that a google search and message board would get it done. I guess it would call into question how good your mechanic friend is?

But anyways, good stuff.

Actually it was a late night over at a get together. He offered to help me on a free day. Problem was that we both have college and work so that never happened. Besides he is more familiar with foreign cars as he is a mechanic for Volvo.

I wouldn't say that any mechanic would have known what the issue is without doing a complete inspection which would have been a chunk off money. I did tons of research and it could have been a variety of things, so many that I didn't want to replace them one by one. I'm just glad I took the time to take my throttle body completely off and cleaned it. Now I can't get one bolt off to get access to my egr.A wrench isn't working and even my shallow socket set wont fit. It acts like it is turning it but is not actually budging. I feel that is stripped.

You can drill it out. Tiny drill bit to start, slowly increase the size until the bolt falls apart.

Definitely be careful and have a replacement bolt ready before you do it.

Can I drill it from the side or angle it at the bolt?My dewalt is nowhere close to drilling straight. So basically I will just crack the entire bolt and hope it comes out?

Can I drill it from the side or angle it at the bolt?My dewalt is nowhere close to drilling straight. So basically I will just crack the entire bolt and hope it comes out?

I'm going to assume you know enough not to have a bolt and a nut where you are turning the bolt but not holding the nut in place. I can't visualize exactly what you are doing, though.

(Assuming it is threaded) Ideally you would drill right down the central shaft of the bolt. Then with successively larger drill bits, you would continue to take out metal until the hole you drilled is close to the size of the bolt shaft. Then, the bolt would lose it's integrity and just come out in a couple pieces. If some pieces get stuck in there, you may have to run a tap through it to get the replacement bolt in place. It's what you would do with a bolt or screw that is completely stripped, maybe rusted in place, and won't move. Just drill it into a bunch of pieces and pull it out.

However you get that done with the tools you have is your call. I guess if you aren't sure of whether your equipment will work right you can just put a screw into a piece of scrap wood and try it. Probably a good idea.