Cycling? Anyone here ride?

buying a bike from an online direct site can be less expensive, but understand that bike will not be tuned when you receive it. buying it from a shop (not a big box store, an actual bike shop) will assure that it's not only tuned properly, but it's fitted to you properly. the bike being sized and positioned for you can make all the difference in how the bike rides. same goes for Craigslist in that regard, except you get a used product with no warranty and in god knows what condition.

i work for a major bicycle manufacturer, and i can tell you guys that industry-wide, everyone is sitting on a metric shit-ton of inventory so there will be a LOT of closeouts for 2013 product in order for everyone to bring in 2014 product. so in the coming months start looking in the shops, you could easily find some screaming good deals on awesome bikes.

^^cl is a the best place for deals. Just have to bee jonny on the spot when a good one pops up.

For me Surly makes the best bang for your buck. I ride a surly steamroller, a fixed gear that i ride as a single speed. They are soo versatile as far as swapping parts. I hope to get a karate monkey soon. There is something to bee said for quality steel bikes!

And even ebay has some awesome deals on bikes, again just bee ready to pounce on a bin or other deals that goes unnoticed. Im sure all of this is common knowledge for us collectors.

I recommend avoiding most of the bikes on bikes direct as they are cheap aluminum frames with equally cheap components. They do offer some good deals though. Just research what u are buying.

And as far as cl goes, look for bikes that are being sold from a bike mechanic. I see ads in my area all the time anyway.

I'm just curious -- what is there to be so wary about on a craigslist bike? It's not like buying something as complex as a car. Check the tires, look for rust, find one that looks like it has been taken care of, plan on taking it to a shop afterwards for a full tuning, oiling, fitting, etc. I get that.

But it's not like people are selling lemon bicycles out there, right? The frame gonna break in half and the tires gonna fall off? I doubt it. If some part is worn and it comes out when you are riding, you replace it. Part of biking. I just don't see a lot to be afraid of in getting a used bike. As long as the frame is solid, the brakes are in good shape, and the tires are straight, everything else is small potatoes not to worry about too much.

If I'm in left field then please explain. I don't claim to know more than industry pros.

not to mention that there's a ludicrous amount of stolen bikes sold on Craigslist. you could easily be supporting a thief. happens way too frequently here in the PNW, just happened to one of my coworkers actually. his garage got broken into, 4 bikes stolen, one was on Craigslist a week later.

Yeah, that's a bummer. Not going to prevent me from buying on craigslist but it will remind me to be really careful about things like registering a serial number with an expensive bike if I can one (so if it does get stolen and pop up on craigslist, I might have a chance to get it back).

And just to be clear, I'm not saying "I don't care if it is stolen", only "I have no way of determining what is stolen and what isn't other than using my gut (say, $2k bike being sold by someone who looks like a thug and has no idea what he has) so I'm not going to let it turn me away from taking advantage of the price advantages of Craigslist."

Bought a bike from bikes direct. It's a legit site and they have good prices on new bikes. You will get more for your money on CL but it will be used. Anything else you were wondering?

Since you asked lol, some guy recently posted a ton of bikes on Craigslist in my area, and a few of them are hybrids.  However, the wheel widths are 38c, which I'm afraid may be wider than I'd like.  One of my main goals is to keep up with my wife who has a decent Marin hybrid with 35c wheels.  I've tried her bike out, and it moves so seamlessly.  Will 38c width be that large of a difference from 35c?  I'm primarily going to be riding on paved roads with the occasional sidewalk.

the tires can be changed according to how you want them regardless of the wheel width. You're more likely to notice a difference when you're running much thinner wheel widths like for road bikes: 18c-25c. when you're already running wheel widths as wide as 35-38, you're more likely to feel a difference from the tread pattern on the tire, not the width of the tire.

wider tires = wider contact patch = better traction but slightly more rolling resistance (slower)

thinner tires = smaller contact patch = more responsive and less rolling resistance (faster)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a new Cervelo P2. This is the most self indulgent purchase I've ever made in my life and after training 75 miles these past three days I can honestly say I'm in love. What a brilliant design. 

Anyone on here have any experience with Flo's? I am thinking about investing in a set of race tires, likely 60s. I am reading mostly excellent stuff on Slow Twitch but I figured I'd toss it out here since we have a few serious cyclists. 

I just got a new Cervelo P2. This is the most self indulgent purchase I've ever made in my life and after training 75 miles these past three days I can honestly say I'm in love. What a brilliant design. 

Anyone on here have any experience with Flo's? I am thinking about investing in a set of race tires, likely 60s. I am reading mostly excellent stuff on Slow Twitch but I figured I'd toss it out here since we have a few serious cyclists. 

I try to keep 100 miles a week. I live close to the country and there are plenty of long roads, and under developed neighborhoods to ride through. 

• 1 month later...

^tianna...u get used to it! The first couple weeks suck for sure. The morning ride gets u ready for the day and the afternoon ride let's u unwind. And im on my feet for 9 to 11 hours a day. Some afternoon rides are tough for sure. (A cold beer never tasted soo good). Im a bout a month away from nonstop rain for 7 months. The right gear is essential for winter. The money I save on one less car supports my record habit!

^Mnolan15.....as far as tires (ebay/bike nashbar/etc) I stocked up a few years ago on craigslist. My citys got a huge biking community though. Just check often and be ready to pounce.

^tianna...u get used to it! The first couple weeks suck for sure. The morning ride gets u ready for the day and the afternoon ride let's u unwind. And im on my feet for 9 to 11 hours a day. Some afternoon rides are tough for sure. (A cold beer never tasted soo good). Im a bout a month away from nonstop rain for 7 months. The right gear is essential for winter. The money I save on one less car supports my record habit!

^Mnolan15.....as far as tires (ebay/bike nashbar/etc) I stocked up a few years ago on craigslist. My citys got a huge biking community though. Just check often and be ready to pounce.

Where do you live? Seattle?

• 4 months later...

Just bought a used Zipp 404 wheelset off a fellow for a crazy good price and went looking for the right thread to talk in. He threw in a free set of Conti 4000s to seal the deal so I'm dying to get to warmer weather and closer to race season so I can justify giving them a good ride. 

Does anyone in here race? Bike - run - anything? I would love to see a thread for folks sharing what they've accomplished. I'm in full training for my first 70.3 triathlon and could use some likemindedness on here since I find the Triathlon forum's to be too hardcore. For instance a thread about listening to music while you run - in training or on race day - turned into a flame thread the equivalent of a kid starting a thread here about framing sealed LPs. 

no racing for me, but my 2014 biking goal is to do a century ride.  I got a new bike late last year and haven't been able to use it much lately (weather, time, work, holidays, hangovers...) but i was happy to knockout two 25 mile rides over the weekend, so hopefully i can get back into a routine in the next month or so.  I only started biking again about a year and a half ago, and already did a 73 mile ride.  Not bad for a somewhat new rider on a commuter bike.

I have no friends that ride, so i have no one to push me, or to learn from (bike maintenance, advice, tips...). Kinda sucks,

I definitely plan on riding more once it gets nice out.  Right not all I do is ride to work and back, which is only a few miles each way.  I guess there is a ~22 mile trail that'll take me up to a Red Hook Brewery.  I don't love their beer, but I think it would be a lot of fun to ride up there every few weeks.