Setting up Technics 1200

I finally upgraded from an ION to an actual turntable the other day, a Technics 1200. Bought it used for $325 from a local shop. Looks to be an ex-DJ table, as seen from some cosmetic issues on the outside. But everything was there and in good condition and the shop had looked over it and set it up.

I just wanted to make sure everything on it seemed at a good level to you guys, as I have no experience setting one up. The guys at the shop had already changed the cartridge on it and set it up, but I figured I should make sure all is well.

The cartridge is a Ortofon OM Pro.

The Anti-Skate is set to 3.

The counterweight appears to be at 3.5.

It's nice to be able to play some records that used to skip all the way through without that nonsense. I had a brand new record that used to skip at the same parts regularly that no longer does, but I want to make sure the arm isn't applying too much pressure. Thanks everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Just be careful that cartridge actually has a range of 3 - 5gms. The lowest you should set it at is 3 grams. 2.5 or lower and you run the risk of it skating across your vinyl and bouncing in the groove (not necessarily audible either) which causes a lot more damage than a bit of extra mass.

You should never go lower than recommended tracking forces for a number of reasons including the fact that the ortofon dj carts are not very compliant and so need a bit of extra mass to sound good (read better bass and high frequency response) and to sit nicely in the groove. Yes it is quite heavy compared to hifi carts but they are designed to run heavy and have a spherical diamond which doesn't sit particularly deeply in the groove or are particularly sharp and nasty (which is why they are ok to back cue with without causing too much damage to the groove).

Set your anti skate to the same number of grams you have applied to the cartridge and tweak it slightly one way or the other by ear.

Congratulations on buying a great hifi turntable. With an upgraded cartridge nothing under $800 or so will compete with its speed accuracy and reliability. On top of that you now have VTA adjustment on the fly and a very quiet deck. It is a total workhorse and cheaply serviced if need be too.

If you are after a decent hifi cart for it I recommend the denon dl301mk2. Great frequency match for the mid weight arm of the 1200. Or keep the ortofon and buy more tunes!

Thanks for the advice. I have it set to 2.5 for both right now and have had no real problems. Like I said, it was 3.5 when I first got it and that's how the shop had it set up. I'll probably upgrade the cartridge sometime down the rode but not sure with what. I'll look into what you mentioned up there. Thanks alot!

It's great to have a good table now, compared to my crappy old Ion.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You're going to want to rebalance the tonearm ASAP.  It most likely out of adjustment from moving/etc so the tracking forces you're setting are probably not accurate.

But yeah get a non-dj cart so you dont ruin your records.

Can you explain how a dj cart in good condition will ruin records please?

Anti skate is fairly important for channel balance and correct stylus alignment in the cases where you have a fine line stylus (alot smaller than a dj elliptical) where the stylus can become pushed or pulled one way or another by too much or too little anti skate. It is true that alot of people don't use it (especially DJs due to back cuing) and for most people in most set ups it wont matter much.

As for using a blank record for setting anti-skate this is how I used to do it until I realised the differences in anti-skate required between the beginning of the record and the end, now I set it by mass amount and then adjust marginally by ear and sight of the stylus but a blank record again will get it close enough.

Still a spherical stylus shouldn't wear a record any more than any other type, it is just alot better for back cuing as it doesnt really dig that deep into the groove, and really 3 grams isnt alot of tracking force (albeit higher than the average hifi stylus).

He could probably get around this whole issue by purchasing an om 30 or 40 stylus to go in it, thereby improving the stylus and reducing the required tracking mass and vastly improving the sound... though there would be a slight compliance mis match (although lots of people with 1200s run the oms or concordes with om30 or 40s with plenty of positive reviews).

Or you could just get a fucking AT120E and be done with it.

Would imagine the AT120E would be a step sideways to be honest, om30 or 40 would own the AT120E... could buy a 440mLA and would then be getting somewhere, better yet a 150mlx if budget allows.

Any of the ATs would be a better match for the 1200 than any of the oms - compliance wise. The 150mlx is really a great cartridge for a moving magnet, clear vivid highs and amazing tracking, and the 1200 would handle it nicely. Food for thought I guess.