The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

Anyone have experience with analog photography? I bought a disposable camera when I went to TWIABP/E!E! a while ago, although something was strange with the camera and I only got about half of the pictures I took.

Found an old analog (not disposable) camera now and were wondering if anyone could tell me if it is ok

Anyone have experience with analog photography? I bought a disposable camera when I went to TWIABP/E!E! a while ago, although something was strange with the camera and I only got about half of the pictures I took.

Found an old analog (not disposable) camera now and were wondering if anyone could tell me if it is ok

I don't really know how anyone could tell you if it's ok...but you should open her up and see if the shutters actuating at least. Then learn how to take pictures with it, then take them.

Oh, Dianas.  I'm surprised the shutter was the only thing you found wrong with it, lol.  These still came out pretty cool.  Especially the 2nd one.

Yeah, it took me 3 cleanings to get the shutter to not fuck up, and yeah, a couple did turn out alright, but would've easily traded them for being able to see al lmy pictures. 

There are a handful of reasons for not getting all of your photos back.  Most of the folks who process those disposables don't really know what they're doing.  Take a good hard look at the negatives -- If you can see imagery in some of the frames that you didn't get prints for, there are a couple things that could've happened...  If the contrast isn't high enough, the Noritsu machine that prints the images from the negs won't pick it up.  There IS a way for the person running the machine to manually adjust the negs and force it to print, but again, most of those folks don't know what they're doing.  Another reason is your shooting environment.  The flashes on those disposables will only get you a maximum of maybe 6 feet.  So if you were back in the crowd a bit using the camera, there's a chance the flash didn't reach anything on the stage to bounce back to the film in the camera.  & Of course the camera could've just been a dud.  But look at the negs, if they look clear, the flash probably wasn't strong enough for what you were trying to accomplish.

As for testing out a film camera (like the one you posted above), really the only thing you can do is run a roll of film thru it and take it to a trustworthy shop to process it (avoid anything like CVS or Costco).  I used to work at a camera shop and I would test cameras all the time using this method.  Then once you get the photos back, you can use powers of deduction to figure out what went wrong (if anything), similarly to what I said above about the disposable.

There are a handful of reasons for not getting all of your photos back.  Most of the folks who process those disposables don't really know what they're doing.  Take a good hard look at the negatives -- If you can see imagery in some of the frames that you didn't get prints for, there are a couple things that could've happened...  If the contrast isn't high enough, the Noritsu machine that prints the images from the negs won't pick it up.  There IS a way for the person running the machine to manually adjust the negs and force it to print, but again, most of those folks don't know what they're doing.  Another reason is your shooting environment.  The flashes on those disposables will only get you a maximum of maybe 6 feet.  So if you were back in the crowd a bit using the camera, there's a chance the flash didn't reach anything on the stage to bounce back to the film in the camera.  & Of course the camera could've just been a dud.  But look at the negs, if they look clear, the flash probably wasn't strong enough for what you were trying to accomplish.

As for testing out a film camera (like the one you posted above), really the only thing you can do is run a roll of film thru it and take it to a trustworthy shop to process it (avoid anything like CVS or Costco).  I used to work at a camera shop and I would test cameras all the time using this method.  Then once you get the photos back, you can use powers of deduction to figure out what went wrong (if anything), similarly to what I said above about the disposable.

Thanks!

Yeah I checked the negatives and I don't see any other picture than the ones I got printed. The strange thing is that some of them were in complete sunlight and such but there are no clue as to where they are. I think there might have been something wrong with feeding the film forward; some photos are half/half with another photo, even though I did turn the "wheel" until it stopped every time.

Some pictures turned out pretty cool though:

tumblr_n50dvaNstR1rkvgfeo1_1280.jpgtumblr_n50e2blyUK1rkvgfeo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n50e8aOxNE1rkvgfeo1_1280.jpgtumblr_n50ej8tYf81rkvgfeo1_1280.jpg

Those are way cool.  I'm going to go ahead and assume it's the person who was manning the machine where ever you dropped off the camera.  The half frames are not a camera issue.  The light being exposed to the film creates the frames, so the problem was when the film was being fed into the printer.  The person running the machine didn't queue the film to feed properly so that the entire image was in the frame at the time of printing.  You should bring the film back and tell them to redo it.  Show them the prints with the half frames and tell them that it's not acceptable.  They can certainly redo it within 15 minutes if they're not backed up (which they shouldn't be - consumer level shooters don't use film anymore).

Also, the person running that lab isn't taking care of the chemicals in the machines.  That's why you're getting these funky colors.  While they look cool for what you're going after with these particular images, the chemicals are tired.  They need to be changed and the machine needs to be tested and calibrated.  It's something that the employee should be doing every morning, but it's obvious that they aren't.

Those are way cool.  I'm going to go ahead and assume it's the person who was manning the machine where ever you dropped off the camera.  The half frames are not a camera issue.  The light being exposed to the film creates the frames, so the problem was when the film was being fed into the printer.  The person running the machine didn't queue the film to feed properly so that the entire image was in the frame at the time of printing.  You should bring the film back and tell them to redo it.  Show them the prints with the half frames and tell them that it's not acceptable.  They can certainly redo it within 15 minutes if they're not backed up (which they shouldn't be - consumer level shooters don't use film anymore).

Also, the person running that lab isn't taking care of the chemicals in the machines.  That's why you're getting these funky colors.  While they look cool for what you're going after with these particular images, the chemicals are tired.  They need to be changed and the machine needs to be tested and calibrated.  It's something that the employee should be doing every morning, but it's obvious that they aren't.

Thank you! I'll try to find some other place next time then :)

Thank you! I'll try to find some other place next time then :)

No problem!  Can I ask where you got those processed?  Was it a pharmacy type place?

You can probably google search for labs in your area.  They are rare these days, though.  You might have to ship it off somewhere if they are images you really care about.  When I worked at the shop our processor died and it wasn't worth it to buy a new one because everyone used digital anyway.  We would mail it to a place an hour away to a lab who had a guy on staff with a hand process in his basement.

Luckily I just so happened to move to the town that the lab is in so it's a 5 minute drive away now, lol.

No problem!  Can I ask where you got those processed?  Was it a pharmacy type place?

You can probably google search for labs in your area.  They are rare these days, though.  You might have to ship it off somewhere if they are images you really care about.  When I worked at the shop our processor died and it wasn't worth it to buy a new one because everyone used digital anyway.  We would mail it to a place an hour away to a lab who had a guy on staff with a hand process in his basement.

Luckily I just so happened to move to the town that the lab is in so it's a 5 minute drive away now, lol.

Nah actually not. I live in Stockholm and I think there are only like four places to process images here, and this was a legit photo-place that prints big images and that stuff, you know.

I've seen that I can send in my films to FujiFilm, and they'll print it, cheap and seems pretty good. I think I'll try that in the future.

You're a lucky man B)

I have a fujifilm instax that I bought used and have never shot with. I almost sold it once and I'm glad I didn't because I have a few trips coming up that would be fun to shoot on.

That being said, does anyone know of a good place to pick up film for it on the cheaper side? I know eBay and amazon have some good prices on occasion, but I'm not sure if there's anything else I'm missing.

I have a fujifilm instax that I bought used and have never shot with. I almost sold it once and I'm glad I didn't because I have a few trips coming up that would be fun to shoot on.

That being said, does anyone know of a good place to pick up film for it on the cheaper side? I know eBay and amazon have some good prices on occasion, but I'm not sure if there's anything else I'm missing.

Amazon will probably be the cheapest.  I have one of those, too!  I used to get the film at cost when I worked at the photo shop. :(