The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

Wassup y'all. Hoping you guys/gals can offer me some advice. Me and my sister are planning on buying a SLR camera for our month away in Indonesia but we both haven't got the foggiest about cameras. She's been told that you can buy a Canon 550d on Ebay at a good price and apparently it is a decent camera. I think the most we are willing to pay is £300 which is basically $500. Any recommendations?

With that price point you're best to go with the Canon Rebel line (which in EU is the Canon ###d cameras), so you're on the right track!  Most sites have a two lens bundle which make for perfect vacation photo packages.

yup, this would be good. i would have said rebels too.

we need to do a short run, 50 page, hand sewn book of photos done by people in this thread.

theres some great things in here.

yeah this would be cool

Found some old negatives that I've never scanned while unpacking today. So far this is my favorite. This is my then girlfriend now wife (drop) walking backing to our car after dropping off an application for graduate school. Shot on Kodak 400 film using a GAF Memo 35 EE rangefinder.

eoGMfCe.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

we could do our book like this?

http://www.artisanstate.com/

I don't wanna be a debby downer but I so strongly dislike those books.  They remind me of toddlers storybooks and god forBID something scratches the surface of the cover or any of the pages.

Source:  I used to work at a photo shop and crappy fauxtographers raved about them and all they are are inkjet photos applied to sticky cardboard backings.

What is your go-to at whcc?

as in what type of work do i get through them?

i don't usually do prints for clients either, but i get all my personal stuff from there, and i have a book that i show clients, because i've learned that people still love to have a book to look through when i first meet with them for whatever reason (plus, i haven't really had a digital way to share my photos, since i didn't have an ipad or laptop, just my imac).

mostly just prints, but i have gotten some photo wrap cd/dvd cases and they're super super nice. their system is easy to use and the shipping is free to me if the order is over $12 or $15 i think. i also get metallic prints occasionally, but only for certain photos. they look AMAZING and almost three dimensional with the right photo, although i wouldn't recommend it for everything.

i also have a zenfolio site that clients can place orders through so i don't have to deal with it, and they're fulfilled through mpix, who also do a good job with printing.

i hope that answered your question?!

as in what type of work do i get through them?

i don't usually do prints for clients either, but i get all my personal stuff from there, and i have a book that i show clients, because i've learned that people still love to have a book to look through when i first meet with them for whatever reason (plus, i haven't really had a digital way to share my photos, since i didn't have an ipad or laptop, just my imac).

mostly just prints, but i have gotten some photo wrap cd/dvd cases and they're super super nice. their system is easy to use and the shipping is free to me if the order is over $12 or $15 i think. i also get metallic prints occasionally, but only for certain photos. they look AMAZING and almost three dimensional with the right photo, although i wouldn't recommend it for everything.

i also have a zenfolio site that clients can place orders through so i don't have to deal with it, and they're fulfilled through mpix, who also do a good job with printing.

i hope that answered your question?!

Yeah that's a lot of info! Thanks. I have an option for an album in my wedding packages but I haven't had anyone want one yet - which is good bc Idk where I'd get it from haha.  But I think I might keep this site in my back pocket for stuff like that.  I've heard wishy washy things about it so I'll probably test it out with some of my own work and go from there.

Yeah that's a lot of info! Thanks. I have an option for an album in my wedding packages but I haven't had anyone want one yet - which is good bc Idk where I'd get it from haha.  But I think I might keep this site in my back pocket for stuff like that.  I've heard wishy washy things about it so I'll probably test it out with some of my own work and go from there.

i've never had a problem, but i don't place THAT many orders.

i did get the sample materials for the albums, and people lose their shit looking at them, hahaha. however, i have yet to have someone order one. like you, i don't really have any idea how to go about doing it in a simple manner. i just say 'yyeeahhhh if you want one let me know and i can get you a quote...!' and hope they don't want one, haha.

i think when you register for an account you get so many free prints as samples, so sign up and try it out! they have their own software you install on your computer for ordering, which works pretty nicely.