The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

i've never had a problem, but i don't place THAT many orders.

i did get the sample materials for the albums, and people lose their shit looking at them, hahaha. however, i have yet to have someone order one. like you, i don't really have any idea how to go about doing it in a simple manner. i just say 'yyeeahhhh if you want one let me know and i can get you a quote...!' and hope they don't want one, haha.

i think when you register for an account you get so many free prints as samples, so sign up and try it out! they have their own software you install on your computer for ordering, which works pretty nicely.

Oh cool! I will definitely do that.  Thank youuuuu.

How do you go about delivering your photos?

Oh cool! I will definitely do that.  Thank youuuuu.

How do you go about delivering your photos?

i removed the middle man completely and upload them all to my zenfolio page so people can order them directly through there. i usually send people all their photos in a zip file (or a custom dvd if it's a wedding), then upload them all to zenfolio and send them a link that they can share with anyone they want.  i'm not sure if you're familiar with zenfolio (man, i've said zenfolio a lot. zenfolio zenfolio zenfolio!), but you can set your own pricelists for things, make coupon codes, etc, and people can order whatever quantities and sizes from there. i have mine set up so that i get an email and have to approve each order (to make sure people didn't crop things weird, etc). then mpix fulfills them and it ships directly to the client! i don't really make much money (i figure anything i make on prints is just a bonus) on it, but every year i've made more than enough to cover the cost of using the site. it makes my life so much easier not having to deal with ordering and delivering the prints to people myself that it's totally worth it. (it might be different if photography was my full-time job, but you know)

i removed the middle man completely and upload them all to my zenfolio page so people can order them directly through there. i usually send people all their photos in a zip file (or a custom dvd if it's a wedding), then upload them all to zenfolio and send them a link that they can share with anyone they want.  i'm not sure if you're familiar with zenfolio (man, i've said zenfolio a lot. zenfolio zenfolio zenfolio!), but you can set your own pricelists for things, make coupon codes, etc, and people can order whatever quantities and sizes from there. i have mine set up so that i get an email and have to approve each order (to make sure people didn't crop things weird, etc). then mpix fulfills them and it ships directly to the client! i don't really make much money (i figure anything i make on prints is just a bonus) on it, but every year i've made more than enough to cover the cost of using the site. it makes my life so much easier not having to deal with ordering and delivering the prints to people myself that it's totally worth it. (it might be different if photography was my full-time job, but you know)

I've heard of Zenfolio for sure, but I never used it.

Have you heard of Pass?  There's no annual fee, you only pay for the events that you wish to keep up for a year ($29).  The free galleries are available for 30 days.  They can share, email, download, and order prints right from the custom gallery link you send them.  It also tells you who is viewing the gallery and from where.  I don't remember who does the printing (it might actually be WHCC now that I think about it).  What I normally do is the free gallery for everything but weddings.  I include the $29 upgrade fee in my wedding packages so they can have access to their photos for an entire year.  I try to stay away from disks, but if they ask I'll burn them and mail them. (I actually use the same process as you do for your Thank You cards - rubber stamps!)

Here's an example: http://popimages.pass.us/davejessie/

I took those photos just to test out my new 70-200 =]

Also, sidenote, I invited you to like my photo page & I liked yours, too.

EDIT:  Pass does use WHCC for their prints. :)

• 3 weeks later...

About a month ago i finally decided to throw caution into the wind and try my hand at being a semi professional photographer. 

http://jacobmckinleyphotography.tumblr.com (My tumblr Until i can afford a website). I sure would appreciate a follow from you fine folks. 

EDIT: TOTALLY NSFW! (Sorry Cholly)

Just thought I would share my dear friend's site with ya'll. 

He repairs rangefinders and sets them all up for success, and then he covers them in wood. He also makes leather camera straps etc.  I've seen his work in person and it is gorgeous.

http://www.anchorsandanvils.com/

I got to test out on of his cameras and it was this ridiculously stupid awesome point and shoot. (I did that whole horse head shoot with it.)

http://camepstore.com/?mode=f17

Japanese camera store 

Thanks for the link. I did know it was Camera People, but I'm not too sure they ship internationally but I've enquired anyway. I thought someone might have known of something similar for sale elsewhere. The closest I've seen are the 70s leather ones with a zip. 

• 2 weeks later...

how do you make the pop so much?

I make sure the light source is coming from behind the subject, make sure the lighting on the face is as even as possible (when shooting outdoors you don't always have the luxury of full control), compress the background as much as possible (either with a telephoto lens or a shallow aperature - in the case of these photos, it's both.  Canon 70-200mm at f/2.8), and make sure the image is tack sharp (which isn't hard to do with a lens like the 70-200mm.  I stand far enough away so I can zoom in at almost 200mm that way the subjects are all on the same focal plane which = complete sharpness even at f/2.8.  It also helps to have nothing nearby behind them.)