The " I couldnt find a photography thread, so i made one" thread

I'm interested (although more interested in the lens you may have lying around as well)

Ditto!

Also, my girlfriend is getting a Canon 5d Mark III soon for her wedding shoot that she's being flown to Rhode Island for, I used it a bit when she rented it and damn it takes great pictures.

So, I'm sure a bunch of you will straight up vom at the quality/res of this.....but, this was taken with an ex-girlfriend's sister's digital super zoom and not a dslr and this was a copy of it sent to me 3 years later by their mom via text (I no longer have a computer or access to editing software) so I did what I could with it in After Light on my phone. Only "nature" photo I think I've ever actively took and it was out of sheer boredom (again, can't post the pic because I'm on a phone and the mobile version of the board won't let me)

http://instagram.com/p/pMWOdARnC_/

Daaaaaang, wish that Pentax worked, I'd take that off of your hands pronto.

Let me know what you want for the film....I'll be shooting it through a Holga, so I'm not looking to spend much on that...hell, I'm so damned broke, but I've had the urge to shoot badly for the past few months

eeeeeeeee that's a lot of $ for processing for a holga.  do you have a 35mm adapter?

eeeeeeeee that's a lot of $ for processing for a holga. do you have a 35mm adapter?

Naw, I used to have access to the B&W lab at Alabama when I lived in Tuscaloosa, so I shot with the Holga (or borrowed one of their twin-lenses) fairly often....there's a lab in Alabama that processes 120 where I can get it done at a reasonable price as well. I've Never shot color through the Holga though

Daaaaaang, wish that Pentax worked, I'd take that off of your hands pronto.

Let me know what you want for the film....I'll be shooting it through a Holga, so I'm not looking to spend much on that...hell, I'm so damned broke, but I've had the urge to shoot badly for the past few months

Maybe a trade? $20 prob

Okay, so I have a Nikon D3200, and the only lens I currently own is the kit 18-55mm VR II. I like having auto-focus as an option for quick shooting, but I prefer focusing manually; unfortunately, it's sort of an overly drawn-out process with the 18-55mm, so I want to get a lens with a focus ring.

I've been looking at either an 18-105mm or an 18-200mm; I guess it just depends on how much I'm willing to spend. I mostly shoot landscapes and buildings, but I also like doing portraits and close-ups, which is why I was considering a zoom lens in the first place. That being said, I'm not entirely opposed to getting a prime lens; I'd just rather get a zoom lens for the flexibility.

Can I get a second opinion?

Okay, so I have a Nikon D3200, and the only lens I currently own is the kit 18-55mm VR II. I like having auto-focus as an option for quick shooting, but I prefer focusing manually; unfortunately, it's sort of an overly drawn-out process with the 18-55mm, so I want to get a lens with a focus ring.

I've been looking at either an 18-105mm or an 18-200mm; I guess it just depends on how much I'm willing to spend. I mostly shoot landscapes and buildings, but I also like doing portraits and close-ups, which is why I was considering a zoom lens in the first place. That being said, I'm not entirely opposed to getting a prime lens; I'd just rather get a zoom lens for the flexibility.

Can I get a second opinion?

My first comment is focusing with a digital camera is the worst thing in the world.  The D3200 has a really strong autofocusing system, so I'd recommend learning how to use it to its full potential.  It's impossible to check exact focus on the LCD screen on any camera, so I'd hate for you to take a day's worth of landscape imagery only to go home and find out your focus was off by a bit.  I take photos every day on my digital camera and I'm telling you I would much rather not have to worry about focusing on top of all of the other aspects of making a good photograph.  Sure, there are times when you'd want to manual focus, but leave that for macro imagery or something where you are in complete 100% control of your environment and surroundings.

Now for your lens question:

Landscapes:   You primarily want to use a wide angle lens for these types of images.  The 18mm would cover that for the most part, sure.

Buildings:  A zoom lens could certainly be good for architectural detail of buildings, but again, a wider lens always makes a building look grandiose, which is a really cool effect when it comes to architecture photography.

Portraits:  Typically a prime lens that is either 50mm or greater is used for portrait photography - usually with a wide aperture of at least 2.8 (for the blurred background effect).  The lenses you specified will probably only get you to 4.5 maximum, and that's only at its widest (in this case, 18mm).  Wide angle tends not to work for portraits since it makes certain aspects of the subject disproportionate and distorted.

Close-Up:  For any real close detail work, you'd use a macro lens.  These are more often than not primes ranging from 45mm to 80mm (there are larger lenses, too) that allow you to focus within 12" of your subject.  Most compact cameras have a macro setting built in and you can get as close as 1.5" from your subject.  So if you're into that, it'll probably be more worth your while to look into a compact camera for those types of images, unless you become super into it, you'd want a dedicated macro lens for your camera.

So it seems like you're sort of all over the board with what you're looking to do.  I'd think on it and try to figure out what you'd be doing the most of and make your decision from there.

If you do want to go with an "all-in-one" lens like the 18-200mm, I'd recommend going with the Tamron 18-270mm II VC PZD.  It's got a bit of a wider aperture (3.5) at 18mm, it's got a killer Vibration Control, and it's got something called a Piezo Drive, which no other lens has.  What that means is, it's literally got the fastest autofocusing motor in any consumer lens.  If you go into a shop and compare the Nikon 18-200mm with the Tamron, you'll see that the Nikon just feels cheaper.  The Tamron's got some heft to it and it's extremely compact for what it's capable of.  It's a really great walk around lens for everyday shooting, too.

Editing for the ZOOM LOCK!  I forgot about this.  The worst thing with a zoom lens is when it creeps.  If you're carrying your camera on your shoulder, the zoom lenses tend to fall out as if you're zooming in.  The Tamron's got a locking mechanism so it stays in its compact state when you're not using it.  It's such a duh addition to a lens barrel, but for some reason not enough lenses have it.

Hope that helped a bit.  & I am not a spokesperson for Tamron, I don't even own a Tamron lens myself, haha.  I just have seen the difference in these consumer lenses first hand and those guys really have it figured out over there.