Anyone want to do Insanity with me?

Contrary to what we are taught in gym class, stretching does not help prevent injury and can hurt muscle performance if done before working out (the idea being that stretching can cause the cells of muscle fibers to be damaged if not ruptured).

A well executed exercise can itself serve as a stretch (like a full "ass to ground" squat). This is a normal (full range) human motion used in athletics and sometimes in our daily lives. The ability to sit on the floor and reach six inches past your toes serves no purpose in our lives (maybe if you are a hockey goalie or something like that).

Warm-up, however, is critical.

Contrary to what we are taught in gym class, stretching does not help prevent injury and can hurt muscle performance if done before working out (the idea being that stretching can cause the cells of muscle fibers to be damaged if not ruptured).

A well executed exercise can itself serve as a stretch (like a full "ass to ground" squat). This is a normal (full range) human motion used in athletics and sometimes in our daily lives. The ability to sit on the floor and reach six inches past your toes serves no purpose in our lives (maybe if you are a hockey goalie or something like that).

I did actually play hockey as a goalie, so stretching was critical. This stretch is great. There's lots of moment and loosening of legs. It also allows you to catch your breath after the warmup. It's a massive help.

i'm not looking to touch my toes dude.  just wondering if a dude with a bad back will get a warm up or it is full on in the beginning.

I did actually play hockey as a goalie, so stretching was critical. This stretch is great. There's lots of moment and loosening of legs. It also allows you to catch your breath after the warmup. It's a massive help.

Sure. If there is a reason to, stretch away. There's just a lot people who think it is going to help them say, from pulling a hammy. Doesn't. Key is just proper warm up and form (which is why they are sometimes inevitable in sports...not an environment where form can be controlled all the time and play at full speed).

i'm not looking to touch my toes dude.  just wondering if a dude with a bad back will get a warm up or it is full on in the beginning.

Warming up and stretching are not the same, but your comment lumps them together.

Not sure what you know (so don't snap back if I tell you something you do. Just trying to share what I know) but the key to preventing back injuries (or causing them to re-occur) is to keep your back in contraction while you lift. If you aren't sure what this feels like, lay on your stomach with your arms and legs spread out and lifted up in the air. Your back will naturally contract.

Probably not too critical for Insanity cause its more cardio focused. Might help if you ever move something heavy in your daily life. Dudes are able to do things without injury like deadlift 800 pounds because they keep their backs tight while doing it.

pretty sure i wasn't snapping back at you, but if you feel that way....

it's just that every post you make is sooooo negative.  i mean sure you seem smart and i appreciate your input but spice it up a little dude.  and i am just going to put this here.

Mentioned this earlier. I can't believe you have real dudes reporting losing 20 pounds in 20 days only by dieting and you have people who want to jump around in their living room and sweat their ass off to probably lose 5 over the same amount of time. But this will be my last post in here because I don't want to be a negative nancy when dudes are trying to keep each other motivated.

These programs do work but it's all about calories in / calories out. You can get the same results with a good free-weight program 3 times a week and proper diet. If insanity is the way you want to go, then cool. It will work. But it's a crash exercise program. Should come out of it ready to go into a sustainable exercise program for long-term strength gain / fat loss, not burning yourself out by doing it frequently or taking long periods of time to recuperate where you pack it back on. Things like "muscle confusion" (I know that is a P90x term, but I lump the two together) are gimmicks. Look at the strongest dudes in the world (even going back to before they were all on roids) -- they focus on about 4 full-body exercises. Clearly they didn't need muscle confusion.

My 2 cents. I know I'm just a dude on a message board but I can point out references to back my claims if anyone disagrees.

Good luck fellas.

I quit trying to suggest alternatives to insanity (which I believe are superior). I have tried continue to chime in with ideas to supplement and make the program better (avoiding overtraining, nutritional supplementation, and now, the importance of stretching). I guess my views leak through in my posts though.

Why? I dunno. I guess when you spend the time to read books on exercise and nutrition you want to share that knowledge with people so they can get better results. If it isn't appreciated, I can walk (and actually stick to it). Just not the easiest thing for me. I'm 26 now and I think "damn. I thought I knew what I was doing in the gym at 19 but I didn't know shit." So, just trying to do what I wish someone would have done for me back then.

you said it yourself my man.  you don't want to be a negative nancy, but you are in every post.  maybe you just come off like that to me, but you really have nothing positive to say it seems.  well the material is positive but the way you present it is a little off-putting.  

i don't mind you giving advice and or suggestions but cheer up when you do it man. 

Wow, made it through week 2. This is the farthest I've ever taken Insanity. I weighed myself post workout for shits abd giggles and was 216.9, a number I haven't seen since the first year of university.

Way to go Blanchard!!!!  Officially finished week 3!! This shit is tough, but I'm glad I have you guys for inspiration/motivation. Keep it up!!

Fitness Test number 2 done!  Here are the results from Week 1 > Week 3

Pre-Workout Weight: 227.8 > 218.1 (9.7 pounds lost)

Switch Kicks: 82 > 101 (+19)

Power Jacks: 42 > 45 (+3)

Power Knees: 60 > 91 (+31)

Power Jumps: 28 > 42 (+14)

Globe Jumps: 6 > 10 (+4)

Suicides: 10 > 16 (+6)

Pushup Jacks: 17 > 31 (+14)

Plank Abs: 28 > 50 (+22)

Very happy with the results so far!