Any bike enthusiasts here?

I'll bump this old thread.

So happy it's biking season again,  Its been mid 60s & crystal clear the last few days and have finally gotten some riding in.  I signed up for a 35 mile ride this weekend just to push me to get riding again (i think i have gone on just a handful of rides since November).  I'm super out of shape now but the ride is a fundraisers for puppies, and there is no better cause than puppies. 

I am thinking about purchasing a bike to maneuver around the city easier since all the tourists are beginning to pile in again (damn that Flower Show!). I used to ride trails on what my Dad called "a little boys bike" (a Haro Nyquist Backtrail) many years ago for sport and did most of my normal rides on a heavy/slow piece of crap Schwinn I got at Wal-Mart. Since I went off to school and eventually moved to Philly I haven't rode a bike for a while and am completely out of the loop when it comes to city riding or even taking the trails (the Schuylkill in this case).

West Philly punks swear by the cheap single speed bikes complimented with Kryptonite locks and there are plenty of bike shops in my area that seem like valuable resources, but I wanted to get some input from you guys first. What is the "Pro-Ject Debut Carbon / Rega P1" for city bikers with the ability to handle the occasional trail? What kind of protection will I need to invest in to make sure I don't get it stolen? What type of maintenance do you put into your bikes and how often? I am eager to get started up on this again as it seems more practical than dusting off my skateboard at this point. I just don't want to get ripped off by the local shops when I have very limited knowledge on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance! 

where do u live? here its ridable but still i wouldn't get my bike out in all the sloch and sodium that's in the streets..

i cant stand taking public transportation 

Haha, im in florida where it is technically ride-abale all year round but once the time changes and its dark at 530 and slightly chilly i get lazy and go into hibernation mode. Plus I had a couple of close calls with cars blowing through stop signs and shit, so for my safety i dont like riding around here in the dark dispute having several lights on my bike.

I have friends in Minnesota who call me a pussy since they ride in freezing temps all the time.

Haha, im in florida where it is technically ride-abale all year round but once the time changes and its dark at 530 and slightly chilly i get lazy and go into hibernation mode. Plus I had a couple of close calls with cars blowing through stop signs and shit, so for my safety i dont like riding around here in the dark dispute having several lights on my bike.

I have friends in Minnesota who call me a pussy since they ride in freezing temps all the time.

yeeeah i have friends who ride all winter long at -30 degrees... im too soft for that myself. 

I am thinking about purchasing a bike to maneuver around the city easier since all the tourists are beginning to pile in again (damn that Flower Show!). I used to ride trails on what my Dad called "a little boys bike" (a Haro Nyquist Backtrail) many years ago for sport and did most of my normal rides on a heavy/slow piece of crap Schwinn I got at Wal-Mart. Since I went off to school and eventually moved to Philly I haven't rode a bike for a while and am completely out of the loop when it comes to city riding or even taking the trails (the Schuylkill in this case).

West Philly punks swear by the cheap single speed bikes complimented with Kryptonite locks and there are plenty of bike shops in my area that seem like valuable resources, but I wanted to get some input from you guys first. What is the "Pro-Ject Debut Carbon / Rega P1" for city bikers with the ability to handle the occasional trail? What kind of protection will I need to invest in to make sure I don't get it stolen? What type of maintenance do you put into your bikes and how often? I am eager to get started up on this again as it seems more practical than dusting off my skateboard at this point. I just don't want to get ripped off by the local shops when I have very limited knowledge on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance! 

depends on your needs, what you want though is probably a hybrid. theyre kinda like old people's mountain bike. Wheels are a bit thinner, and slicker for the street but they offer some grip for any kind of terrain. a cyclocross bike could be pretty cool too, more exciting to me at least, better geometry and can be quite fast. they make them in single speed/gear too if you want a simple and easy to fix ride. 

here you have hybrids

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hybrid+bike&rlz=1C1GTPM_enCA509CA509&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=jhweU_izDaHU0QGdh4DwDg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1143&bih=849

and here is cyclocross

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cinelli+sscx&rlz=1C1GTPM_enCA509CA509&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=OB0eU8G6DOrZ0wGW5YHYAw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1143&bih=849#q=sscx+bikes&tbm=isch

My Stable

1985 Schwinn Super Le Tour (Road bike for the trainer)

2009 Motobecane Fantom CX (2x9 Cyclocross)

2009 Haro Mary SS 29" (Single Speed Rigid Mountain Bike)

2010 Motobecane Fantom 29" (Hard Tail Mountain Bike 2x9)

2013 Sworks Epic 29" (Full Suspension Mountain Bike 1x10)

Bikes are a much bigger passion than music/records for me. I race mountain bikes, hence the larger selection of mountain bikes. 

I am a big fan of my CX bike, it was my first bike and is the most versatile bike that I have and the one that gets the most miles put on it in a year. If I put some road wheels on it is more or less a road bike, put fenders/rack on it and it is a decent commuter, it is great for crushed limestone trails that we have all over around here, it could also be used for a CX race, and it can even do light single track.

I am a big fan of my CX bike, it was my first bike and is the most versatile bike that I have and the one that gets the most miles put on it in a year. If I put some road wheels on it is more or less a road bike, put fenders/rack on it and it is a decent commuter, it is great for crushed limestone trails that we have all over around here, it could also be used for a CX race, and it can even do light single track.

This is great to hear. I'm planning on my next purchase being a CX bike that will be used as a daily commuter, some light off-road and some winter riding. I've been looking a lot into a Surly cross check or Soma double cross, but I'm very open to anything. I also like the Fantom. 

I love my CX bike.  I was a little nervous from going from a commuter bike (my first real bike as an adult) to a road bike because my town has a ton of construction, old brick roads, dirt covered sidewalks...  But getting the trek crossrip elite was a perfect choice and i am very pleased with my decision.

I've been riding all winter in this shit cold.

I'm saving to build up a Salsa Vaya and retire my Steamroller to bad weather/beater status.

What kind of protection will I need to invest in to make sure I don't get it stolen? What type of maintenance do you put into your bikes and how often?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

A U-lock should be enough, but a U-lock and cable will allow you to keep your front wheel and seat safe. I connected a chain from the seat rails to the top tube to keep my saddle from getting stolen. My current ride is a fixed-gear, so the only frequent maintenance is making sure the chain is clean and lubed and that the brakes are working.

It's not the Rega P1 of bikes, but the Surly Cross Check is a do-everything bike that can be ridden fixed, single, or geared. They have added clearance for larger tires and a steel frame that takes a beating and works just as well on single-track as it does on pavement.

A U-lock should be enough, but a U-lock and cable will allow you to keep your front wheel and seat safe. I connected a chain from the seat rails to the top tube to keep my saddle from getting stolen.

I agree with this.  Most people I know just have a U-Lock and they're fine, but the cable doesn't hurt any.  It's only going to put you back an extra $15 or something, which is cheaper than replacing a tire or seat.

I agree with this.  Most people I know just have a U-Lock and they're fine, but the cable doesn't hurt any.  It's only going to put you back an extra $15 or something, which is cheaper than replacing a tire or seat.

the cable will only protect you from kids and vandals. the same kind that would put a knife through your tires. bike thieves will cut it in literally 1 second and noone around will do shit or even notice them. theres a lot of stolen bikes every years but when you look how people often lock their bikes its just easy for someone to steal them. if you want to really make sure nothing ever happens to yours

-Keep your bike in a well lit place with lots of people

-take the seat with you if you have something like a fizik or brooks saddle.

-detach your front wheel and lock it in the u lock that goes through your frame and rear wheel

-get a shorter u lock, the longer it is the easier it is to break or to put a car jack in and bust it open. the hip lock is cool but so heavy.. you can however wear it around your waist 

dont get super expensive parts for a commuting bike (mostly saddles and those fancy not meant for the street tri spoke wheels) and just be more protected than the bike next to yours. theyll stole the other one. It seems shitty walmart mountain bikes and old bikes are the most stolen.. in part because theyre not easily traceable, theyre not locked properly but also because theyre easy to be sold for cheap in the next hour. they just roam around on the bike and offer it for 100$ and end up selling it for 20-30$. 

Here is a really interesting article from the viewpoint of a "professional" bike thief. http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-bike-lock/

From the article there are two types, the low-time guy, and the big time guy. 

The low-time guy

They often don't go for high dollar items because instead of a misdemeanor they are looking at a felony.

Don't carry bolt cutters because you can get in trouble for intent so they usually carry only wire cutters. 

More of a smash and grab and flip type guy. 

The big-time guy

He is going to scout the area and make sure everything is clear. If it is too busy he will not bother. 

Probably put on a fake public uniform and say that he is a city employee removing abandoned bikes. 

He is gonna get your bike no matter how many locks it has. 

Nothing is as good as keep it in a public place and do not leave it unattended or out of sight for too long. If it is your commuter then just try to keep it as cheap as possible. 

• 2 weeks later...

So as long as we're on the subject how does everyone lock their bike?

I replaced my quick release for a non quick release on the back wheel. I lock the front wheel to the frame and rack with my u-lock. I've also been considering taking the quick release axel just completely out when it's locked up so if it does get taken they won't be able to ride it.

I have a pretty cheap u-lock from walmart but I did get a $750 warranty with which is more than my bike is worth.

My local race-friendly shop is running a 50% off tune-up special so I did one last trainer session and dropped my baby and race wheels off to be patched up before I increase my on-road mileage. It was kind of sad to leave it. I love my bike. I'm going to make a couple little tweaks, then I'll post a pic or two. 

Questions to those who race:

1. Anyone have an ultegra chain? I know $60 for a chain is high but I hear such positive things that I'm curious if anyone actually notices a difference.

2. Anyone use anything to keep their cables tidy and covered? Wondering about results. This always struck me as seriously nitpicky by Aero freaks. 

My local race-friendly shop is running a 50% off tune-up special so I did one last trainer session and dropped my baby and race wheels off to be patched up before I increase my on-road mileage. It was kind of sad to leave it. I love my bike. I'm going to make a couple little tweaks, then I'll post a pic or two. 

Questions to those who race:

1. Anyone have an ultegra chain? I know $60 for a chain is high but I hear such positive things that I'm curious if anyone actually notices a difference.

2. Anyone use anything to keep their cables tidy and covered? Wondering about results. This always struck me as seriously nitpicky by Aero freaks. 

if its the one you want.. check their prices

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/shimano-ultegra-6701-10-speed-chain/rp-prod55029