Any bike enthusiasts here?

I've been doing a bunch of biking around (just casual stuff) lately and my parents offered to buy me a new bike. I've had the same one since I was in middle school. A buddy who used to run a bike shop recommended the Mercier Galaxy Tour ($370) to me. My local bike shop that was most helpful has the Specialized Sirrus for $520. After reading some reviews they both sound like good bikes, so I'm looking for any advice but mainly how much am I going to be spending in tuneups? If I buy at the local shop they do lifetime minor tuneups for free. If I buy the Mercier online I'll have to pay for everything - although that may be a bit cheaper if I can talk my friend into doing it for record trades.

Both bikes are more than suitable for casual riding. I'd go with the Specialized. Quality over savings. Mercier is sort of.. a legacy brand. Was good, now is not good.

Full tune-ups should be done at the beginning of each riding season and generally cost $40-$90 depending on what type of bike you have(geared bike>single speed)

I've been debating buying a bicycle for a while.  Was going to buy one Monday, but I thought that tomorrow was Monday so I missed out on the sale.  A local shop had a Trek 1.2 on sale half off Labor Day only.  I might call them up and see if they can extend the sale for my dumb / lazy / oblivious ass.

I am more of a road bike kinda guy and usually put in 80-100km a weekend and ride about 12 km a day to and from to work.

I LOVE giant brand bikes, they fit really well and have had no problems at all with them.

I have had a specialized that was also ok, no problems but the giant seems to have a much more comfortable geometry. 

maybe check out and test ride a cyclocross road bike, my buddy has one and like its. Good for the roads but if you want to ride in the forest you can also do some off road stuff as well.

maybe check out and test ride a cyclocross road bike, my buddy has one and like its. Good for the roads but if you want to ride in the forest you can also do some off road stuff as well.

I have been wanting to test ride a Trek crossrip or similar Giant or Specialized models but havent gotten a chance yet.

I was pretty stoked that i was able to knock out my first 60 mile ride sunday morning on my hybrid (most of my rides are 10-35 miles).  After that ride, i think its really time for me to upgrade.  Better start saving!

I got away from Specialized. There is a general opinion that they have been so aggressive in their advertising that you are now paying those costs in your bike. You will find that at the same price point that you can get better value with other brands than you can with Specialized/Trek. When I went to buy my nicer bike I test rode a Trek, Giant, Scott and Cervelo. Now, how serious are you hoping to get? Sounds like entry level but different brands frames fit different body types so it's worth testing out those that you determine you are interested in and taking your comfort level into account.

I loved Scott but I'm longer in the torso and their tri bikes didn't suit me as well. I wound up with a Cervelo P2 - nice bike - but it was a combination of fit/goal/value for cost. 

Anyway, enjoy it. Awesome hobby. My first bike to get back into riding was a Specialized Alleze. Got me moving again but I probably would have purchased a different brand used if I'd known then what I know now. 

Thanks for all the responses. It's all entry level. I'm thinking of biking like 25 miles maybe once a week - potentially up to 40ish twice a week, but I don't see myself having enough time for anything more. Even riding to work is only a couple miles if I decide to do that.

As far as other bikes, I went to 3 local shops. One only did free tuneups for the first 6 months so they're out. The next had a Trek 7.1 for I think $470. They didn't have the hybrid version in so they said they'd have to order one. The guy wasn't all that helpful, but I do remember they had a 30 day trial period. The last the guy was the most helpful and recommended the Sirrus. Just based off MSRP price I felt like the Mercier should be a nicer bike and it's cheaper, but it sounds like it's not as a nice of a bike as they used to be and having to pay for tuneups will eat away at the cheaper price anyway. Haven't heard anything bad about the Sirrus (other than what Dave said about the price). Those were the only 2 bikes the local shops had in my price range. There may be a couple other shops further away that I may check out this weekend to see different options, but if I'm going to buy local for the tuneups, then I'm probably better off with a shop closer to the house so I actually take advantage of them.

^I ride a steamroller as well. I have it setup as a singlespeed though not fixed. I like to coast. And stop. Too old for tha fixed! Grew up with cheap aluminum bikes my whole life so riding steel is pretty sweet. Been saving for a karate monkey to tear up the trails.

Also been thinkin about getting one of those motorized bike kits for my old trek mtb.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm assuming with just the front break you've got this running as a fixed gear, if that's the case I'd def get some more tension in your chain

Looks like a fun ride, I really like those fenders

Yeah, just the front break.  Thanks for the advice!  I don't see my friend who sold it to me too often and he's my only real bike info guy.  I can feel the slack when I ride and haven't gotten around to looking into it.

Roads are so wet here half the year that a fender is crucial.