PO: Sleigh Bells - Bitter Rivals

Sad to hear that people feel guilty about the music they enjoy listening to.

Listen and enjoy what you want! No shame! No guilt! FTW!

Chuck Klosterman wrote a short essay on the subject, essentially saying the same thing.

http://www.esquire.com/features/chuck-klostermans-america/ESQ1104-NOV_AMERICA

Love the new jam! This is probably one of the best bands I've worked security for in my life :D

Alexis and the merch girl are some of the nicest cuties I've ever met in my life! And they like pugs <3

Don't know if I will PO or just snag this at the local shop when it comes out!

Sad to hear that people feel guilty about the music they enjoy listening to.

Listen and enjoy what you want! No shame! No guilt! FTW!

Chuck Klosterman wrote a short essay on the subject, essentially saying the same thing.

http://www.esquire.com/features/chuck-klostermans-america/ESQ1104-NOV_AMERICA

I've read that essay (and others very similar to it), and completely agree with that notion.  In general, I do listen to what I listen to regardless of its popularity or reputation.  I enjoy listening to music with substance; and if original or well-written records are quality, nourishing listens... then Sleigh Bells are a sugary-sweet splurge, filled with empty calories.  Let's be real: Derek's play-style and riffs are elementary at best.  Alexis sings some horrible lyrics.  The song structures are fairly repetitive, and follow a commercial-pop format.  A good chunk of their music has a bratty-punk vibe that I find truly obnoxious.

But at the end of the day, I still come back to them.  I can acknowledge that I like 'em, even if they're not brilliant musicians.  Even if they don't redefine everything I thought I knew about noise-pop.  They are the king size Kit-Kat bar that resides in the cooled crisper of a health nut's refrigerator.  Knowingly junk, but so damn good to divulge in every now and then.

I looked at this thread just to check out something I've never heard of. I'm highly disappointed.  

Also, I don't know what that Grimey thing is but it's a true shame what a once great label like 4AD has become. 

That is all, I'll be leaving now. Carry on. 

• 2 weeks later...