Does it make me a bad person...

I don't know. Maybe it's cause they know 90% of brand new vans driven by 20 somethings with stupid haircuts and tight pants are probably left a) unguarded B) full of computers/iPods/toys/equipment and c) with a fucking cash box in a place anyone with five minutes could find.

Ever notice how many of these bands who get robbed are young kids? I've seen very few veteran bands get hit up this hard, these younger groups just don't have any freaking common sense, shit that even I know without any tour experience.

Also most of the dudes who rob bands aren't thinking "Woot I'm stealing from hard working musicians who are busting their ass on the road." They're thinking "Woot! A van shaped easter basket full of high tech toys, unguarded money and equipment I can sell for cash!"

while it sucks.. bands leave their shit laying around... its retarded.

we never left the van anywhere unless we could see it from where we were, if it was a sketchy area someone slept in the van, or else we loaded everything of importance into the hotel... and honestly dudes.. bring nothing of value besides your instruments on tour.

while it sucks.. bands leave their shit laying around... its retarded.

we never left the van anywhere unless we could see it from where we were, if it was a sketchy area someone slept in the van, or else we loaded everything of importance into the hotel... and honestly dudes.. bring nothing of value besides your instruments on tour.

im surprised more smaller bands don't rotate and have someone sleep in the van every night. if i ever take my babershop quartet on the road that's what we'll do.

Our name? The Free Bassers.

Also all these bands have their name painted across the fucking trailer/van with the tour name and everything. If that's not a sign saying "steal me" than I don't know what the hell is.

this is the reason we don't put stickers on our van/trailer. its a welcome sign saying "please steal our shit"

also, its not there have been more van thefts, there are just more bands touring so the ratio has remained constant.

more bands touring = more bands to steal from

I'll be touring this summer and it would be really helpful to know the best ways to keep our shit from being stolen...aside from the stuff already been posted. It's something I've been worrying about lately.

Personally I would rather just not have a trailer at all...and keep everything in the van (which is what I've done in previous bands...and what we do currently)...but we're having two extra people travel with us this summer so it is simply not an option.

Load it in the hotel you're staying in OR have someone sleep in the van. I think that's about the most full proof way to go. Loading your crap in your room is a pain but having it stolen is worse.

Hotel...HA! That's rich. I'm thinking we'll be alternating van sleeping...and hopefully purchasing some serious locks. I know I'll at least be bringing my guitar inside...probably the head too.