How should I handle a ruined return?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How much is fair to refund?

• 100%
    • 50%
    • Nothing
    • 25%
    • 75%

I want honest opinions and want to act fairly.

I sold a NM record on the 8 of July for $65. The 17th of July I get a message that the record was received and that it was the wrong version. I thought it was an original press but I was wrong, it was just an earlier press. I said send it back and I'll refund. The package never arrived. We discuss why I haven't got it and why the tracking number hasn't moved on the 26th. A case is open by the sender with the post office on the 2 of August. After a discussion I agree to refund $20 based on the wrong version and it being lost. September 20th (2 months later) the package shows up but is ruined. It has a split seam and bended corners.  How do I handle this? Partial Refund? Full refund? No refund?

i think you needed to mention that the USPS ruined the package, not the sender.

would seem FUCKING STUPID for a sender to do this intentionally.

Sorry I tried to be clear. As far as I know it was the USPS. I just want an honest response, so I can act accordingly.

I offered over half back and that wasn't acceptable. So I wanted an opinion.

Sorry I tried to be clear. As far as I know it was the USPS. I just want an honest response, so I can act accordingly.

I offered over half back and that wasn't acceptable. So I wanted an opinion.

fair enough

but help me out here, im confused:

so you sold it at $65 and offered half back but agreed on $20? how does that work?

well...things just happen sometimes that we cant help, and in turn pay some kind of price whether its our time, money or something else we deem equivalent to our loss.

ive never had one issue on VC. ive had issues on ebay...so it just varies.

also, if i were buying a record over X dollars, id hope they would have already supplied pics...a lot of times i send them pics out of courtesy so they get a peace of mind and we dont have an issue. whether its a 7" worth $5 or a limited 2xLP worth $80.

it all depends on how it was listed.

technically because you sent a nonconforming product, you bear the risk of loss until it's fixed.  (unless the buyer decides to keep the product, unless the buyer intentionally/negligently destroys the product, unless the buyer holds onto it for an unreasonable amount of time, etc etc.)

but yeah.  there's always risk with shipping.  bummer it happened that way.

So your saying that if I sent the right record they shouldn't get a refund? That really doesn't make sense either.

Yes.  If you sent the right record, if I understood your story correctly, you wouldn't be at breach.  If they then decided they didn't want the record anymore, that would be on them.  Any offer to refund on your behalf would be a mere gesture not an obligation, until you received the record in the same condition you delivered.

But alas, the above doesn't apply.