why are people so opposed to "how much?" questions?

shamrocks

Most of the time, I agree with this sentiment. Everyone of us have the capacity or can ask how to find the value of a record.

I have at one time needed money and said, "make offers on my list" and then accepted offers. I think I sold one thing because the stuff people wanted to buy they didn't offer enough. Take that back, I sold a couple but made $100.

But we all know that there are jokers who do it once a month.

It just regulates expectation. In bargaining both sides say what their starting position is and usually meet somewhere in the middle.

If I say I want $100 and the buyer then offers $50 we may end up at $75

If I don't say anything and wait for the buyer, he may start with $70 as he doesn't want to lo-ball me and we end up at $85

So the one that makes the offer is at a disadvantage as it has been said before. And for me as predominantly being a buyer, this is not so great.

I've found that generally if they're looking for offers its the eBay sort of price range they are interested in. I'll usually get quoted for just under the top price from Popsike etc, which I'd say is because the seller doesn't want to risk the record selling for below it's recent prices if they listed it for auction.

If you're selling it here, you should know what you want, be upfront with people and tell them. If you're interested in the top end of eBay, take the risk that goes with it and go for eBay. 

I've found that generally if they're looking for offers its the eBay sort of price range they are interested in. I'll usually get quoted for just under the top price from Popsike etc, which I'd say is because the seller doesn't want to risk the record selling for below it's recent prices if they listed it for auction.

If you're selling it here, you should know what you want, be upfront with people and tell them. If you're interested in the top end of eBay, take the risk that goes with it and go for eBay. 

I completely agree.  I have had many sellers quote me prices that were definitely on the E-Bay high end.

I honestly don't keep track of the "value" of a lot of the records in my collection, and I don't have time to sit there and look everything up, and make a big list with set prices. So a lot of times I'll throw something up as "offer" to see if anyone's interested. Most of the time, as long as it's reasonable*, I'm going to sell it to the first offer. Both methods have their disadvantages. A lot of people gloss over your post when asking for offers. And with set prices you either get people wanting to drive your prices down, or run the risk of people ignoring it because they think it's too high. 

I don't see why people are opposed to others asking "how much" though. I'll usually throw a number out, and I'd like to think it's usually reasonable. I can't think of a time where I made someone keep going back and forth on something, I'm typically easy to please. 

*And by "reasonable" I mean don't say $10 shipped for something that's regularly selling for like $40 on here or ebay. I can't speak for others, but that's usually what "no lowball offers" means. 

At the end of the day, people have the right to ask what they want, if you don't want to play ball, don't.