Labor Unions

jhook

Why would anyone be offended by that?

I guess I just assume that people will be offended because whenever the topic is brought up at work, the sides are so polarized. We are in the process of voting and it has been really intense out on the line. People are super sensitive and uptight about it.

well if people feel the need to unionize maybe its not as great for everyone as it is for you?  awesome employers are great though!  the airline industry has a rough history with unionization, so thats not surprsing its so polarizing.  hopefully your employer isnt interfering and letting the workers make the decision, dont need any ULP's levied on them.  whenever you find out the results please post, im just curious :)

well if people feel the need to unionize maybe its not as great for everyone as it is for you?  awesome employers are great though!  the airline industry has a rough history with unionization, so thats not surprsing its so polarizing.  hopefully your employer isnt interfering and letting the workers make the decision, dont need any ULP's levied on them.  whenever you find out the results please post, im just curious :)

They haven't been interfering at all. They have been following protocol. They have made it very clear they think it is in our best interest to vote no, but I came to that conclusion on my own. This particular union has a bad rep for being in negotiations for years on end and then when they finally come up with a contract, it has OFTEN left employees worse off than they were before. I am very happy with my company, schedule and benefits. And honestly, with a company as young as ours, I feel like being entitled and thinking I deserve a 6 figure salary as a flight attendant is pretty out of control and unrealistic. Not to mention that many airlines that have unionized have gone bankrupt within years of the unionization. 

What I have noticed in my experience, is the people that want to unionize are honestly people that I have a hard time respecting. The people that have been pushy to me about voting yes are also the people that show up late to work, steal from the planes, have a general bad attitude, and call in sick when they are really just hungover. These are people that I don't want deciding the fate of my company and honestly they are probably so worried about job security because one, they feel entitled for some damn reason, and two, they probably really do deserve to lose their jobs. Just saying.

I think unions had a place at one point in time, and I am sure there are people that need representation today. But when you work with a company that is fantastic and honestly works to make its employees happy, i feel like there is no need to unionize. Could you see my frustration?

I'll definitely let you know the outcome. But also! One more thing. As I am at the very bottom seniority wise, some of these people that are wanting a union never even had to do what I do. So if anything, I should be the one wanting to unionize over them. I find it interesting it is people that are at the top of the pay scale, making a very fine living for themselves that are the ones that want the union. They are also the ones that would most likely be reps, bringing in two paychecks from our company and the union. Also, they spread these ridiculous promises saying that scheduling / pay for people with low seniority like me will change with a union, when every single airline has to operate like this. And it is because of them "calling in sick" when they don't feel like coming to work that causes low seniority people like me to have crappy situations. That isn't the fault of scheduling when they will literally have two hours to find someone to get a flight out on time. That is because someone called in at the last minute. 

Ok. Rant over.

They haven't been interfering at all. They have been following protocol. They have made it very clear they think it is in our best interest to vote no, but I came to that conclusion on my own. This particular union has a bad rep for being in negotiations for years on end and then when they finally come up with a contract, it has OFTEN left employees worse off than they were before. I am very happy with my company, schedule and benefits. And honestly, with a company as young as ours, I feel like being entitled and thinking I deserve a 6 figure salary as a flight attendant is pretty out of control and unrealistic. Not to mention that many airlines that have unionized have gone bankrupt within years of the unionization. 

What I have noticed in my experience, is the people that want to unionize are honestly people that I have a hard time respecting. The people that have been pushy to me about voting yes are also the people that show up late to work, steal from the planes, have a general bad attitude, and call in sick when they are really just hungover. These are people that I don't want deciding the fate of my company and honestly they are probably so worried about job security because one, they feel entitled for some damn reason, and two, they probably really do deserve to lose their jobs. Just saying.

I think unions had a place at one point in time, and I am sure there are people that need representation today. But when you work with a company that is fantastic and honestly works to make its employees happy, i feel like there is no need to unionize. Could you see my frustration?

unions are still needed today, just because we've moved from an industrial/manufacturing industry focus to more service-based industry doesnt mean that employees dont need protection.  I understand what you mean about your co-workers, though, and honestly, it may be difficult to fire them (currently)... even though all states operate under employment-at-will (can be fired for reason or no reason at all), it can sometimes be tough to justify firing someone with no proof and not fear retaliation in court, and especially for a smaller airline/company.  with a contract though they would have a process in place, they would have expectations of arriving on time, yaddayaddayadda that they could then use as justification for termination should someone show up late all the time or get caught stealing (which could be an automatic termination by contract).  not trying to change your opinion on this, just trying to give you a POV of how you could benefit from a union.  Do you know where your job/pay/benefits ranks with similar jobs at other airlines?  again, understanding its a smaller airline and all, if your co-workers are being paid under market rate at other airlines, they could feel they're being taken advantage of in a sense.  again, just because you love your job/pay/benefits doesnt mean that others are in the same boat, ya know?  If its not meant to be they wont get the 50% + 1 votes they need and they'll have to wait another year to vote.

unions are still needed today, just because we've moved from an industrial/manufacturing industry focus to more service-based industry doesnt mean that employees dont need protection. I understand what you mean about your co-workers, though, and honestly, it may be difficult to fire them (currently)... even though all states operate under employment-at-will (can be fired for reason or no reason at all), it can sometimes be tough to justify firing someone with no proof and not fear retaliation in court, and especially for a smaller airline/company. with a contract though they would have a process in place, they would have expectations of arriving on time, yaddayaddayadda that they could then use as justification for termination should someone show up late all the time or get caught stealing (which could be an automatic termination by contract). not trying to change your opinion on this, just trying to give you a POV of how you could benefit from a union. Do you know where your job/pay/benefits ranks with similar jobs at other airlines? again, understanding its a smaller airline and all, if your co-workers are being paid under market rate at other airlines, they could feel they're being taken advantage of in a sense. again, just because you love your job/pay/benefits doesnt mean that others are in the same boat, ya know? If its not meant to be they wont get the 50% + 1 votes they need and they'll have to wait another year to vote.

We are paid a little less than bigger airlines but they have also been around for decades and are legacy carriers. We are pretty competitive but definitely not the best. I understand what you're saying, but our employer already enforces these work rules without a contract. People have been let go after giving them many chances to get it right. We are on a 12 point system where being late is worth .5 points. Which starts fresh every year. So the people who are worried are the ones calling out, are late, etc. so if we already have a system in place, I don't think we need a contract. It's not being abused, people just need to do their jobs. But these people literally think they deserve a 6 figure salary and I think it's hilarious. It's not realistic. We are very well paid, and the pay schedule increases when the company is doing well. We just won a bunch of awards and we were all given a huge bonus. I just don't get how people are upset when our amazing insurance is way cheaper than market, we get dental (including ortho) and vision for less than it costs for a cup of coffee each. Not to mention we can fly anywhere in the world. So... I guess these people just want more than what I have always dreamed of. I'm trying to see their point of view but I guess it's diifficult for me, a person comfortable within my means at the bottom of the pay schedule.

had my interview this morning for a local company here for a recruiter position, really really hope it works out because they're in the process of unionizing (well, havent voted yet, so it could still not happen), and i'd love to move into a position there in labor relations down the line.  have a phone interview for another HR job later today/tomorrow that my buddy told me about.  feelin' good right now

• 3 weeks later...

"I think unions had a place at one point in time, and I am sure there are people that need representation today. But when you work with a company that is fantastic and honestly works to make its employees happy, i feel like there is no need to unionize. Could you see my frustration?"

No offense, but if unions have outlived their usefulness or no longer have a place---then why is the middle class shrinking? 

"I think unions had a place at one point in time, and I am sure there are people that need representation today. But when you work with a company that is fantastic and honestly works to make its employees happy, i feel like there is no need to unionize. Could you see my frustration?"

No offense, but if unions have outlived their usefulness or no longer have a place---then why is the middle class shrinking? 

Hi there. No offense taken. 

Please note from the quote how I mentioned "I am sure there are people that need representation today." I DO think there are great unions out there currently doing work for people that need representation for better working conditions and pay.

If you note, after that, I began talking about my particular situation. I work for a great company, that really does work hard for us to have competitive pay and benefits in our industry. What I didn't mention is that I have done a great amount of research regarding this specific union that my co-workers and I were voting on, and it is not a union that I think is doing either of the things I mentioned above for the airlines that it represents.

So to answer your question, I agree. But I also think that not all unions have the best intentions either. Don't get me wrong, there are great unions out there that do great work, but I also think there are unions that abuse their position to make money. So not only are workers being abused by their workplaces, but also by these supposed "representatives" that are abusing their positions. 

I am not disagreeing with you, but saying that you paint a picture that is a bit black and white when in reality, there is quite a large gray area.

Hi there. No offense taken. 

Please note from the quote how I mentioned "I am sure there are people that need representation today." I DO think there are great unions out there currently doing work for people that need representation for better working conditions and pay.

If you note, after that, I began talking about my particular situation. I work for a great company, that really does work hard for us to have competitive pay and benefits in our industry. What I didn't mention is that I have done a great amount of research regarding this specific union that my co-workers and I were voting on, and it is not a union that I think is doing either of the things I mentioned above for the airlines that it represents.

So to answer your question, I agree. But I also think that not all unions have the best intentions either. Don't get me wrong, there are great unions out there that do great work, but I also think there are unions that abuse their position to make money. So not only are workers being abused by their workplaces, but also by these supposed "representatives" that are abusing their positions. 

I am not disagreeing with you, but saying that you paint a picture that is a bit black and white when in reality, there is quite a large gray area.

Do some more research into the declining middle class and you will realize that the decline of unions in America is a large part of the reason that the middle class has shrunk (you can also thank Reagan). This includes outsourcing, charter schools, etc. Everyone, including you prior to unionizing, has reaped the benefit from the existence of unions. All of those great things that you love about your company are a direct result of unions. Even those fucks on capitol hill, who demonize unions, benefit from their existence. 

Do some more research into the declining middle class and you will realize that the decline of unions in America is a large part of the reason that the middle class has shrunk (you can also thank Reagan). This includes outsourcing, charter schools, etc. Everyone, including you prior to unionizing, has reaped the benefit from the existence of unions. All of those great things that you love about your company are a direct result of unions. Even those fucks on capitol hill, who demonize unions, benefit from their existence.

Alright. You obviously don't understand that I'm talking about my company specifically, which has never had a union, rather than the entire middle class. You can talk about the history of unions etc etc. I know they have changed the work place for out generation, but I'm talking about a specific union and a specific company. So. Thanks for the advice?