Green Day - International Superhits orange vinyl Hot Topic exclusive

travis

Hot Topic doesnt press anything. Hot Topic buys records from labels that press vinyl.

I think its great that Hot Topic can serve as a vehicle to get vinyl out there to more people. But the record labels are making inferior products. People will listen to these records and think "this sounds bad" (or they won't if they never heard an original)) and we'll see another bubble burst. That won't be good for HT in the long run. 

I've never voiced my concerns to Reprise or Rhino (I'll do that next), but I imagine that HT has a lot more power than we do.

I think its great that Hot Topic can serve as a vehicle to get vinyl out there to more people. But the record labels are making inferior products. People will listen to these records and think "this sounds bad" (or they won't if they never heard an original)) and we'll see another bubble burst. That won't be good for HT in the long run.

Bad-sounding records have existed as long as records have. If/when the vinyl bubble bursts it won't be for this reason.

For the record my copy of Insomniac sounds fine.

Bad-sounding records have existed as long as records have. If/when the vinyl bubble bursts it won't be for this reason.

For the record my copy of Insomniac sounds fine.

No, it doesn't sound fine. It sounds fine to you, but you don't know what the album is supposed to sound like. And no, today's records, like the 2009 Insomniac master, sound worst than before because of their compressed digital mastering, a technology that wasn't available before the digital takeover.

Although I bought Insomniac the day it came out, I didn't get a copy on vinyl until the 2009 reissue. But I noticed that it sounded compressed, almost a pain to listen to. I always enjoyed the album, so I realized that something was wrong. Luckily I had the original pressing of Superhits to compare the tracks to, and they were worlds apart as far as sound quality. I quickly bought a 1st press Insomniac and got rid of the 2009 reissue. But when Hot Topic put out the "purple" version, I ordered it, along with the yellow Nimrod. Unfortunately, nothing was done to fix the terrible mastering issues of the 2009 reissues (though Warning sounded good), so I felt burned and I won't pick up any more Green Day reissues no matter how cool they look, until the mastering problem is addressed.

The way Hybrid Theory went was, it was supposed to go up on a Tuesday, a few days later Travis said it's gonna be a week or 2. A week and a half later he posted a picture of the record and it was on the website the next day. So I would just look for a picture to be posted and then assume it’s a day or 2 away haha