Official Fantasy Football Advice

seangj

So in the main league with my close friends that I've been in for years we started doing something a little different.  2 years ago we started a new thing that instead of 2nd place getting their money back and 1st taking the pot we use everyone's money to buy a Jostens superbowl ring and the winner gets it with their team name on it.  I won the 2nd year and I get my ring next month.  I'm pretty excited to have a really big man ring and permanent bragging rights for the '13 season.  5 years from now I hope to have a really epic facebook/twitter profile pic!   ;)  :D  :D  :D

So in the main league with my close friends that I've been in for years we started doing something a little different. 2 years ago we started a new thing that instead of 2nd place getting their money back and 1st taking the pot we use everyone's money to buy a Jostens superbowl ring and the winner gets it with their team name on it. I won the 2nd year and I get my ring next month. I'm pretty excited to have a really big man ring and permanent bragging rights for the '13 season. 5 years from now I hope to have a really epic facebook/twitter profile pic! ;):D:D:D

Nice! In my league the winner gets a Replica WWE belt of their choosing.

It's a unique idea but I'd rather have a nice trophy. I'm never gonna where a ring like that (other than probably on draft day). I'll put a trophy on the mantle for sure, though.

True, and I'll probably only wear mine on draft day, but that doesn't mean I can't get something to put it in and on a mantle. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished my second draft. I drafted 11th of 12th Thoughts?

Andrew Luck

Marshawn Lynch

Giovani Bernard

TY Hilton

Sammy Watkins

Julius Thomas

Matt Bryant

Chiefs

Ben Tate

Patriots

Kelvin Benjamin

Fred Jackson

Danny Woodhead

LeGarrett Blount

Marvin Jones

Just finished my second draft. I drafted 11th of 12th Thoughts?

Andrew Luck

Marshawn Lynch

Giovani Bernard

TY Hilton

Sammy Watkins

Julius Thomas

Matt Bryant

Chiefs

Ben Tate

Patriots

Kelvin Benjamin

Fred Jackson

Danny Woodhead

LeGarrett Blount

Marvin Jones

You have great depth at RB and an elite TE. I'd say you're a little weak at WR — I'm not crazy about Hilton or Watkins. Kelvin Benjamin could pay off really nicely though. Overall I'd say it's a pretty good team. Best of luck.

No one in there is standing out as a 2nd round pick to me.

Also, despite wanting to keep things to a single league this year I caved and joined a $500 buyin. Was just too exciting to try. Leagues drafting Saturday and Sunday.

Wow $500? Winner take all or tiered payouts?

Unsure on payouts but yeah, didn't hit an extra zero. It'll be awesome if I make the playoffs.

Dude that runs it is I believe the VP of Fiat for North America. I don't think it's a bunch of normal dudes who are going to put a ton of time into it because they have a full paycheck invested. Hoping they just throw money around and I can take them.

First draft of the season in the books.  Picked out #10 out of 12, PPR no flex league.

Julio Jones

Gio Bernard

Jordy Nelson

Toby Gerhart

RG3

TY Hilton

Rashad Jennings

Zach Ertz

Kelvin Benjamin

Devonta Freeman

Markus Wheaton

AZ Cardinals

Hauschka

Travis Kelce

Terrance West

Kenny Britt

I can read this better. I think that given your spot it wasn't so bad. RGIII may have been a stretch at 5th, I feel that around the 60th pick DeSean could have still been there, and if you snaked Jordan Cameron on the 63rd pick. Maybe that wasn't the case last night. I just don't have much trust in RGIII this year. I do like Wheaton though.

Here is my draft from last night. I was 9th pick in a 10 team standard league

Lacy

Marshall

Antonio Brown

A. Ellington

C. Patterson

Gerhart

Pitta

Kaepernick

Vereen

Maclin

Woodhead

Rams

Gordon

Kelce

Walsh

I got sloppy at the end because I had to watch the baby for a bit, but I think my team is pretty average. 

I can read this better. I think that given your spot it wasn't so bad. RGIII may have been a stretch at 5th, I feel that around the 60th pick DeSean could have still been there, and if you snaked Jordan Cameron on the 63rd pick. Maybe that wasn't the case last night. I just don't have much trust in RGIII this year. I do like Wheaton though.

Here is my draft from last night. I was 9th pick in a 10 team standard league

Lacy

Marshall

Antonio Brown

A. Ellington

C. Patterson

Gerhart

Pitta

Kaepernick

Vereen

Maclin

Woodhead

Rams

Gordon

Kelce

Walsh

I got sloppy at the end because I had to watch the baby for a bit, but I think my team is pretty average. 

My league is full of people who make a lot of reach picks.  It started with Peyton going in the 2nd round, followed by Brees & Rodgers, then Luck went in the 3rd round, and everyone else started grabbing QBs after that.  RG3 was the only decent QB left at the time I grabbed, so I needed to pull that trigger.  I'm completely satisfied with my WRs, RB2 and QB are my biggest concerns if RG3 can't get it together.  I have some later season potential on my bench though.  Hoping Kelvin Benjamin can do work, and that if Steven Jackson stays on the sidelines Freeman could end up being a stud.  For now I'm hoping either Gerhart or Jennings can provide at least some consistency.  I think Ertz should have a decent year at TE but I definitely just missed out on some of the guys I wanted more.  Like I said though, all the mock drafts in the world couldn't prepare me for this draft with the way the people make their picks.

I think your team is pretty strong for starters.  Marshall/Brown will get you A LOT of points, and Patterson has tons of potential. Lacy and Ellington are pretty solid RBs as well.

In a 4 point per passing TD league manning is still a great second round pick. In a 6 point per, he's top 5.

And I almost never draft a QB early. He blew the doors off the competition at the position like no one other than Jimmy Graham.

In my $500 league, it is half point PPR. Had the 12th pick. Went Dez and demarius (no regrets, those guys are studs) but dudes were drafted RB - RB - RB to start. Ended up with vereen and Jennings as starting RBs. I don't hate it, but definitely not a strong suit. Vereen is a great pass catcher even if Ridley takes some carries.

Love what I was able to do at QB late -- one of the last teams to draft a QB. Took romo, then backed him up with Cutler. Playing the matchups with those two, hopefully I can get top 5 numbers all year. Sometimes that bends you, though. End up picking the wrong guy every week. I know week 1 it will be cutler (buffalo) and not romo (SF)

• 2 weeks later...

this is my annual auto-draft league I do with no settings/exclusion of players just to see how I can do with a completely randomly drafted team.  pretty solid, could use a little support at RB

RNAODM LTETERS

1. (6) Calvin Johnson (Det - WR)

2. (15) Brandon Marshall (Chi - WR)

3. (26) Zac Stacy (StL - RB)

4. (35) Julius Thomas (Den - TE)

5. (46) C.J. Spiller (Buf - RB)

6. (55) Andrew Luck (Ind - QB)

7. (66) Golden Tate (Det - WR)

8. (75) St. Louis (StL - DEF)

9. (86) Mason Crosby (GB - K)

10. (95) Chris Johnson (NYJ - RB)

11. (106) Russell Wilson (Sea - QB)