Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes (2014)

nivek87

Some real clunkers on here but a few gems as well. Really dig the studio cut of 41 Shots but I like the live Joad better than the one on here. Down In The Hole is great and Harry's Place kinda sounds like Knopfler. Probably won't listen to about half this record ever, but will definitely keep a few songs handy.

Agreed, it's not an easy full LP listen but there's some real good stuff on here.

In going to check it out tomorrow at my local shop and check the price. I personally like tom w/the e st band. Nobody can beat steve on those songs, but toms tone and style add something new and different. A lot of fan reviews ive read so far dont seem to feel the same though.

I say this as a HUGE Bruce fan who probably saw him 6 times on the Magic/Working tour alone, and owns every single record from Greetings through Tunnel (along with a LOT more CDs of course):

This album is a GIANT FLAMING TURD.

I love Bruce. I love Rage. I love Morello in RATM. But I can't take an entire album of Morello in "Rage" mode butchering tracks that were already out there in live versions, and infinitely better that way.

Or to put it a different way: Van Halen and Bruce became popular within a few years of each other. Eddie's guitar on those early VH records is the stuff of legend. Never ONCE did I think, "You know what would've made The River even better? Eddie Van Halen soloing over 3/4 of the album." 
The Bruce of the 70s and the 80s would've agreed with me. The Bruce of now? Not so much.

Bull moose is showing the retail price for this at 38.98, its 35 something though on the website. If this thing is realy forty bucks im going to have to pass.

Lately bull moose has been having odd prices on vinyl. Most stuff they are dollars under, but more and more they are selling some things that you can find for 5 bucks or so cheaper.

I say this as a HUGE Bruce fan who probably saw him 6 times on the Magic/Working tour alone, and owns every single record from Greetings through Tunnel (along with a LOT more CDs of course):

I love Bruce. I love Rage. I love Morello in RATM. But I can't take an entire album of Morello in "Rage" mode butchering tracks that were already out there in live versions, and infinitely better that way.

Or to put it a different way: Van Halen and Bruce became popular within a few years of each other. Eddie's guitar on those early VH records is the stuff of legend. Never ONCE did I think, "You know what would've made The River even better? Eddie Van Halen soloing over 3/4 of the album." 

The Bruce of the 70s and the 80s would've agreed with me. The Bruce of now? Not so much.

Couldnt agree more. I absolutely love everything that Morello has done and Bruce is one of my favorite musicians of all time, but the two do not go together at all. Tom's solo stuff shows that he can write and play a great song that isnt all tricked out and if he was like that on this album it would work, but nope, he is back to trick mode.

If you've seen so many shows recently, then you've seen Nils going nuts with solos on Prove it all Night, Because the Night, and maybe a couple more. He's practically been doing a Morello impression the past few years. And he somersaults during it. Not saying I like that either (or the Morello addition all the time), but to act like there isn't precedent for this is wrong.

And the Bruce of the 70s and 80s would have agreed with you? What the hell does that even mean? No two Springsteen records even sound alike so how do you even define what style is his? Plus, he soloed like crazy throughout the 70s and 80s and before the E Street Band was in pretty heavy hard-rock bands that jammed a bit. Point being, you don't have to like it (and as I've said in this thread already, I can leave most of it too), but don't suppose that it doesn't fit into the Bruce discography any worse than many of his other records.