Recent purchases

How do the Depeche Mode reissues sound?  I've been thinking of picking them up.  Where did you buy them from, and how much?

I think they sound good though I don't have much to compare them to...picked them up for $18 each from Bullmoose 

Thanks for the info.  Music Direct has them for $20 each, so I may just wait for another couple weeks when the next four are released by Rhino.

I recently did an A/B of the new reissue of Black Celebration versus an old US copy. Both sound very good in their own ways and I would imagine a lot of it would depend on your personal preferences.

The US copy seems to have a wider, warmer sound. The reverb sounds superb and "airy" would be a good adjective to describe it.

The recent Rhino pressing is more "modern" sounding. Instruments sound clearer, but at the expense of stereo separation. A lot of little parts that are harder to hear on an original copy are easier to hear on the repressing, but things are less dynamic. There's more punch to the albums and it suits a lot of Depeche Mode's metallic sounds.

I would say personally I'd listen to the batch of remasters as more of a casual listening experience and the originals if I'm more interested in really experiencing the album. If you're looking for a good way to hear the album without going through the process of tracking down old copies, this is a great option. You get a high quality, heavy vinyl that's quiet housed in a glossy gatefold that replaces the original pacakaging plus new liner notes. That's easily worth $20.

Upon hearing the remasters of "Songs of Faith and Devotion", "Violator", "Speak & Spell" and "Music for the Masses", things jumped out at me I had never heard before and I'm happy to have a collection of these versions on vinyl, despite owning other copies.

They're actually the same as the 2006/2007 remasters and these new pressings share the same matrix etchings and the packing actually has the old barcodes. The srinkwrap on the outside has a new barcode over the old one and a new sticker. If you own these, you basically own those 2006/2007 pressings. I've yet to find any difference beyond the shrinkwrap. (I am speaking about the US Rhino copies. I don't know what the situation is with the UK versions.)

A heads up to anyone interested in picking these up, PopMarket recently sold the first batch of 4 for less than $50. That's something like $12.50 per record. It's possible the next group of will follow suit.

I recently did an A/B of the new reissue of Black Celebration versus an old US copy. Both sound very good in their own ways and I would imagine a lot of it would depend on your personal preferences.

The US copy seems to have a wider, warmer sound. The reverb sounds superb and "airy" would be a good adjective to describe it.

The recent Rhino pressing is more "modern" sounding. Instruments sound clearer, but at the expense of stereo separation. A lot of little parts that are harder to hear on an original copy are easier to hear on the repressing, but things are less dynamic. There's more punch to the albums and it suits a lot of Depeche Mode's metallic sounds.

I would say personally I'd listen to the batch of remasters as more of a casual listening experience and the originals if I'm more interested in really experiencing the album. If you're looking for a good way to hear the album without going through the process of tracking down old copies, this is a great option. You get a high quality, heavy vinyl that's quiet housed in a glossy gatefold that replaces the original pacakaging plus new liner notes. That's easily worth $20.

Upon hearing the remasters of "Songs of Faith and Devotion", "Violator", "Speak & Spell" and "Music for the Masses", things jumped out at me I had never heard before and I'm happy to have a collection of these versions on vinyl, despite owning other copies.

They're actually the same as the 2006/2007 remasters and these new pressings share the same matrix etchings and the packing actually has the old barcodes. The srinkwrap on the outside has a new barcode over the old one and a new sticker. If you own these, you basically own those 2006/2007 pressings. I've yet to find any difference beyond the shrinkwrap. (I am speaking about the US Rhino copies. I don't know what the situation is with the UK versions.)

A heads up to anyone interested in picking these up, PopMarket recently sold the first batch of 4 for less than $50. That's something like $12.50 per record. It's possible the next group of will follow suit.

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I'm thinking of buying the MOV version of Violator when it comes out to see if the extra $10 or so is worth it. 

Thanks for the detailed analysis. I'm thinking of buying the MOV version of Violator when it comes out to see if the extra $10 or so is worth it. 

Glad to help out! I've read that the etching on the deadwax on the MOV reads the same as the 2007 pressings, but with the old stamper number scribbled out. So my guess is it's the old master pressed by MOV, which makes me think you can't go wrong there.

If you pick up the MOV, it would be interesting to match up barcodes and runout information to this one here, the 2007 UK pressing and see what varies.

Getting back on topic, I recently found these two in a used section and I couldn't leave them behind.

jkbsp3.jpg

This Will Destroy You - Live in Iceland

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Will Smith - Big Willie Style (finally!)

Further Seems Forever / Twothirtyeight - Split 7" (also finally!)

I didn't even know Big Willie Style was available on vinyl.  That's awesome!  I jammed to that record in high school.

Flatliners - The Great Awake 
Placeholder - Nothing is Pure 
Hot Hot Heat - Make Up the Breakdown (I love this album, and it was 3 dollars) 

Compliments of the Best Buy Sale: 
Taking Back Sunday - TAYF & WYWTB
Portugal, the Man - In the Mountain..., Satanic Satanist, American Ghetto 
Bayside - Walking Wounded 
Jeff Rosenstock - I Look Like Shit x2 

Just took advantage of the Best Buy online vinyl sale.

Bayside - Shudder

Bayside - The Walking Wounded

The Beatnuts - Intoxicated Demons

Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights

El-P - Cancer 4 Cure

Jason Isbell - Southeastern

NOFX - Self-Entitled

Ray LaMontagne - Till The Sun Turns Black

Ray LaMontagne And The Pariah Dogs - God Willin' & The Creek Don't Rise

Rise Against - RPM10

Tony Sly - 12 Song Program

Preordered the Tweens record. 23 bucks shipped is too much, but I absolutely need this album because the song "Be Mean" is TOO FUCKING GOOD.

I'm hesitant to get it because I absolutely adore their demo, but part of why I like it is its rough and blown-out recording. So glad "Don't Wait Up" made it to the full-length though.

Deafheaven - Sunbather

Touche Amore - Is Survived By

Converge - Axe To Fall

La Dispute - Wildlife

La Dispute - Somewhere at the Bottom of the River Between Vega and Altair

Touche Amore/La Dispute - Searching For  A Pulse/The Worth of the World

La Dispute/Koji - Never Come Undone

La Dispute - Rooms of the House (Limited Blue)