Want to Know More: Fender P-Bass 70s era bootleg bass

so i've got this bass, it was my friends dad who bought it in the 70s. its got a natural finish, its glossy, even on the neck. both the fretboard and the neck are maple. only thing is the head stock says "fender jazz bass" and yet its a p bass neck and body. so its obviously fake, also on the back of the neck the screwplate has "made in japan" engraved on it. no stamping on the neck anywhere, nor the insides. it has a black/red/orange swirl pickguard that i think is marketed as "lava" and has a single lipstick looking pickup. looks a ton like  the neck pup on a tele. it originally came with a pickup cover and thumb rest which i have removed (i play with a pick). it sounds very warm and all around a great bass but i want to know more about where this came from! can anyone help?

Back in the 60s-70s there were bootlegs being made in Asia because people couldn't afford American Fenders and there weren't any being made in Mexico. Google "lawsuit era Fenders". This could be one of those.

ive tried but everything is so garbled and hard to sift through. its just funny because the headstock says jazz bass when this is pure p bass haha

It could be a legit bass with a new neck. People used to put tele necks on strats and vice versa 

This. A Frankenstein maybe. I have a Lefty 57 P Bass Reissue that was Crafted In Japan (as opposed to the 90's and earlier MIJ one.) I bought most of the parts from one seller on ebay and then had it assembled with a Black Warmoth pick guard, Badass Bridge, and Duncan Quarter Pounders. 

It could also have parts from companies like Warmoth. People sometimes have custom pieces made by Warmoth and then they have someone slap a Fender logo on it. 

A serial number would be a giveaway.

http://www.vintagerocker.com/fender/serial_numbers.html

http://www.guitarrepairbench.com/guitar-dating/fender-serial-number.html

If you can't trace the serial number for parts, it probably is an aftermarket part with the Fender decal slapped on. You may have to take it apart.

Did your friend's dad buy it new or used in the 70s? Any better pics of the headstock and neckplate?

It is definitely a Japanese Fender copy from the 70s, can't comment on the specific brand though. It may or may not have come from the factory with the Fender decal, as I believe some of the companies left the headstocks blank, and then people would just apply their own Fender decal, regardless of which kind of bass it was (hence the new/used question). The trussrod cover leads me to believe the neck is the original.

I used to have a Univox Precisely bass, which was a p-bass clone, but it had a slightly different p-bass pickup and said Univox on the headstock. I have a 63 p-bass and a 75 j-bass, and can say the Univox felt just as great. Basically I just love old basses, so let me close by saying killer axe!

Did your friend's dad buy it new or used in the 70s? Any better pics of the headstock and neckplate?

It is definitely a Japanese Fender copy from the 70s, can't comment on the specific brand though. It may or may not have come from the factory with the Fender decal, as I believe some of the companies left the headstocks blank, and then people would just apply their own Fender decal, regardless of which kind of bass it was (hence the new/used question). The trussrod cover leads me to believe the neck is the original.

I used to have a Univox Precisely bass, which was a p-bass clone, but it had a slightly different p-bass pickup and said Univox on the headstock. I have a 63 p-bass and a 75 j-bass, and can say the Univox felt just as great. Basically I just love old basses, so let me close by saying killer axe!

pretty sure he bought it new, and yeah i have no idea, but indeed, i love my bass

I can't quite tell from the photo but it could be a legitimate Frankenstein, because I think the J-Bass's necks were like that from '70 to '76, before they advanced the rear pickups a 1/4" or however far it was, but I'm not scholar on boot Fenders.

All in all, boo on using a pick. Finger master race.