PO: Ryan Russell Continental Obscura Photo Book + 7" MIB + MO

https://store.nosleeprecords.com/product/7109/continental-obscura-from-birmingham-to-bellingham

First 50 pre-orders receive a 4 - 6" x 4" print set for free. All pre-orders include a free Poster, and a PDF of Continental Obscura. There is no digital download of the 2 songs included, they are vinyl only.

"Ryan is one of the greatest photographers working today.” - Ben Gibbard (Death Cab For Cutie)
“Ryan is an exceptional talent.” - Hayley Williams (Paramore)

Celebrated rock photographer Ryan Russell has announced plans to release his first travel photography book, “Continental Obscura: From Birmingham to Bellingham,” on April 8th via No Sleep Records.

Known best for his ability to brilliantly capture timeless photos of some of rock’s biggest acts, from Death Cab For Cutie and Against Me! to Paramore and Blink-182, Russell recently tackled a different subject entirely for “Continental Obscura: From Birmingham to Bellingham.” In the summer of 2013 he embarked on a life-changing, cross-country journey, moving from his native city of Birmingham, AL to the Pacific Northwest town of Bellingham, WA. Russell documented his trip, capturing the back roads, ghost towns, national parks and historical sites of America with stunning photos of everything he saw.

“Continental Obscura: From Birmingham to Bellingham” will also include an exclusive 7” vinyl record featuring rare unreleased B-sides from Manchester Orchestra and Minus the Bear, two bands that Russell has shot extensively over the last several years.

"Ryan is one of those rare photographers that can truly put you at ease while he takes superb and entirely honest photos,” says Cory Murchy of Minus the Bear. “A master at capturing the most fleeting and candid of moments, we always look forward to working with him so we were extremely honored to be asked to be apart of this project."

Follow Russell at http://instagram.com/ryanrussell and continentalobscura.com for more information regarding the release of “Continental Obscura: From Birmingham to Bellingham.”

First 50 pre-orders receive a 4 - 6" x 4" print set for free. All pre-orders include a free Poster, and a PDF of Continental Obscura. There is no digital download of the 2 songs included, they are vinyl only.

Vinyl Pressing Information

vinylrecord.png
First Edition

20 Test Pressing (Black)

100 First Edition w/ Beastmode Blue (Minus the Bear Exclusive)

100 First Edition w/ White (Manchester Orchestra Exclusive)

800 First Edition w/ Sonic Blue/White Haze

Note: The Bonus 7" that accompanies the Book is NOT included in the 2014 Vinyl Subscription

Would be curious to know how/when those /100 versions will go on sale.   

I feel like I'm in the .0000000000000001% that does not dig this dude's work.

I like his work and his style. He's certainly found a look that works for him. I think it's funny how people fawn over every single shot he posts on Instagram though. He could post a pic of a urinal and there'd be 20 comments on how amazing it is. 

I like his work and his style. He's certainly found a look that works for him. I think it's funny how people fawn over every single shot he posts on Instagram though. He could post a pic of a urinal and there'd be 20 comments on how amazing it is. 

Style is where it falls short for me.  I don't see anything original or different about what he does.  I look at his live shots and most of the time  you have to squint to find any sort of definition or detail that distinguishes it from any other wide angle contrasty black and white image on flickr.

Style is where it falls short for me. I don't see anything original or different about what he does. I look at his live shots and most of the time you have to squint to find any sort of definition or detail that distinguishes it from any other wide angle contrasty black and white image on flickr.

True. I do wish he'd post some that didn't look like they were run through a handful of snapseed filters.

Style is where it falls short for me.  I don't see anything original or different about what he does.  I look at his live shots and most of the time  you have to squint to find any sort of definition or detail that distinguishes it from any other wide angle contrasty black and white image on flickr.

you don't have to be 'original' or 'different' to be a good photographer. do things that are outside of the norm tend to attract people initially? yeah. but being consistently good at what you do is just as important. his landscape/outdoorsy type photos are so good, imo. though admittedly i tend to be drawn more towards things that i am not so good at doing. (i consider landscape Ansel Adams type photography to be one of my weaker styles to shoot)

not saying you have to like the dude stylistically or think he's breaking aany new ground, but you have to admit that he's good at what he does.

you don't have to be 'original' or 'different' to be a good photographer. do things that are outside of the norm tend to attract people initially? yeah. but being consistently good at what you do is just as important. his landscape/outdoorsy type photos are so good, imo. though admittedly i tend to be drawn more towards things that i am not so good at doing. (i consider landscape Ansel Adams type photography to be one of my weaker styles to shoot)

not saying you have to like the dude stylistically or think he's breaking aany new ground, but you have to admit that he's good at what he does.

I never said he wasn't a good photographer.  I just said I don't dig his work like others do.  I mean, hundreds of photographers do exactly what he does (and sometimes do it better) but are never recognized for it.  So when one experiences a certain level of exposure, you tend to wonder what gives them the edge.

Landscape is my weak point, too.

I never said he wasn't a good photographer.  I just said I don't dig his work like others do.  I mean, hundreds of photographers do exactly what he does (and sometimes do it better) but are never recognized for it.  So when one experiences a certain level of exposure, you tend to wonder what gives them the edge.

I agree yeah he is good but nothing special, just a run of the mill photographer. His live shots looks just like mine and mine aren't anything special. And I agree completely I think his level of exposure has more to do with who he knows than his talent level. 

i wonder that about 95% of the successful artists/bands i see too. work ethic? connections? sometimes i want to punch people when i see some of the artists selling their work for exorbitant amounts of money and i know i'm more talented than they are, haha.

I'm a big fan of photobooks, but I feel like a journey like this would be very hard to make into a full scale book.  I could see it being an awesome zine.  Photo zines are great for adventures like this, keep the cost down, and you can pretty much get what you expect out of a cross country america photo capture, haha.

I just got my first Rob Hornstra book in the mail from "The Sochi Project" he's been doing for the last 4 years.  If you want to see some crazy photojournalism with amazing writing to go along with the beautiful pictures, check out his stuff!

• 1 month later...