Vaginyl Collective Redux (Men view at their own risk).

-tess.

Huzzah! Why didn't I find this before last night?

Actually, I've been trying to cut down on buying records, and henceforth, I've been trying not to pop in here as much. Just moved into a new-ish four bedroom house, and we've still not finished unpacking!

Plus, there are so many records I still need to listen to that I bought while my turntable was in storage.

I've been trying to cut down too...these boards definitely make it difficult!! I moved too and my turntable has been packed away as well...so I'm not even able to listen to what I buy! Hah. we're on the same page

I'm bummed for Leo, but he had to know there was NO way he was winning anything against 12 Years a Slave or Dallas Buyers Club.

Both movies are SO important, stories of people that need to be told. 

The Wolf of Wall Street was great and all, but it does not stand up next to the other nominees. 

The fact that people are genuinely surprised that he didn't win kinda scares me, haha.

I mean Her and Nebraska didn't take a lot home either just because the other films were so powerful.

True!  I was so happy to learn that Jared Leto won for his role in Dallas Buyers Club.  I saw him interview on The Daily Show a month or so ago and found out that that was his first role in like 6 years and he's gotten so much praise for it.  He's such a talent.

I was more or less just curious to know if the "Leo will never win an Oscar" ordeal was going to continue.  He may have gotten snubbed in the past, but you are right - there were some super powerful films out this year and while that's not his fault, the right people took home the awards this year.

Oh yeah, obviously that wasn't like "lol why ask, Ashton, obbbbvs he didn't win." 
There are just people all over the internet that are like "I CAN'T BELIEVE LEO DIDN'T WIN, HOW CAN THEY DO THIS TO HIM." 

Siiiiiiiigh. 

Yes! I was so happy for Jared Leto and he gave that beautiful speech about his mom. 

Lupita's speech was also incredible. 

Ugh, last night was good. I'm so happy for everyone who won.

Oh yeah, obviously that wasn't like "lol why ask, Ashton, obbbbvs he didn't win." 

There are just people all over the internet that are like "I CAN'T BELIEVE LEO DIDN'T WIN, HOW CAN THEY DO THIS TO HIM." 

Siiiiiiiigh. 

Yes! I was so happy for Jared Leto and he gave that beautiful speech about his mom. 

Lupita's speech was also incredible. 

Ugh, last night was good. I'm so happy for everyone who won.

Hahaha I knew what you meant! =D

Yeah Tumblr is always up in arms about him not winning.  I guess we'll be getting at least another 12 months of it on that website lol.

I'm going to have you YouTube Jared and Lupita's speeches.  I heard they were awesome.  But again - slept through it all lol.

I was never a huge Matthew McConaughey fan because he did all those click flicks and I never watch those types of films, but holy shit when I saw him in Tropic Thunder I knew he was making changes in his career, haha.  I love that movie so much.

I have obvious issues with Jared Leto and his portrayal of a transgender woman. No applause from me.

I honestly haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't really judge on how he portrayed anything. 

But I know a big argument is that a transgender woman should have played a transgender woman, I can definitely see that side and I agree with it. 

I honestly haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't really judge on how he portrayed anything. 

But I know a big argument is that a transgender woman should have played a transgender woman, I can definitely see that side and I agree with it. 

I had no idea this was going on either. so are people also saying gay actors should take gay roles, and straight only take straight roles? that's a whole can of worms. I do understand it though, and I hope I'm not offending anyone.

It's such a blurred line with social justice issues and I try to be understanding as much as possible.

I think the difference is that being gay is so much more socially accepted than being a transgender. There are plenty of gay individuals represented in Hollywood while there are next to none that are transgender. 

I think the transgender community wanted an honest portrayal of a transgender character and as I'm reading a bit about this movie, it seems that Leto's character was just this strung out prostitute. So instead of giving a life to this character, they just turned her into your stereotypical transgender by America's assumptions. They also used her as comedic relief, which is an issue all on it's own. 

Obviously comedic relief is allowed, but when it's mocking a group of people who have done nothing but fight for their rights, it's offensive. 

I haven't seen this film nor am I a transgender, so I can't say that I'm at all right with this? Feel free to yell at me if I'm wrong. But that's my understanding of where people are coming from.

I had no idea this was going on either. so are people also saying gay actors should take gay roles, and straight only take straight roles? that's a whole can of worms. I do understand it though, and I hope I'm not offending anyone.

This is what I thought at first, too.  I think the idea of stereotyping people is what it comes down to.  The same can be said for straight actors who play gay characters, but I guess when you compare gay people/characters to transgender ones, there is less the everyday person knows about the latter than the former.  Which would then lead to misrepresentation of a group of people.

It's such a blurred line with social justice issues and I try to be understanding as much as possible.

I think the difference is that being gay is so much more socially accepted than being a transgender. There are plenty of gay individuals represented in Hollywood while there are next to none that are transgender. 

I think the transgender community wanted an honest portrayal of a transgender character and as I'm reading a bit about this movie, it seems that Leto's character was just this strung out prostitute. So instead of giving a life to this character, they just turned her into your stereotypical transgender by America's assumptions. They also used her as comedic relief, which is an issue all on it's own. 

Obviously comedic relief is allowed, but when it's mocking a group of people who have done nothing but fight for their rights, it's offensive. 

I haven't seen this film nor am I a transgender, so I can't say that I'm at all right with this? Feel free to yell at me if I'm wrong. But that's my understanding of where people are coming from.

This.

What you just said is why I don't understand why more people aren't offended/against The Big Bang Theory.  There really is so much misrepresentation in the media of so many different points of view and it's really upsetting.

You have to understand that the vast majority of people see other people as sterotypes...the awkward and sexless nerd/geek, the overly flamboyant gay man, the "every hispanic person is Mexican" point of view, etc.

Mainstream media has to cater to the LCD because they are the majority...lame, but true. That said, I didn't watch the Oscars because I really don't care for awards shows...it is all just fashionista fodder imho.

You have to understand that the vast majority of people see other people as sterotypes...the awkward and sexless nerd/geek, the overly flamboyant gay man, the "every hispanic person is Mexican" point of view, etc.

Mainstream media has to cater to the LCD because they are the majority...lame, but true. That said, I didn't watch the Oscars because I really don't care for awards shows...it is all just fashionista fodder imho.

I feel all of this.

oddly enough I spent the evening with my friends watching rupauls drag race and then a tyler perry movie. no cable for oscars anyway.

also not to sway the subject too much, but according to facebook today is national 'hug an engineer day'. have an e-hug from me st. james. :)

Yeah, I understand that which is why I try not to be too offended by it. 

Of course, to most I'm just a privileged straight white female...so technically media doesn't victimize me. 

Until they start making shitty movies about asexuals, my opinion is pretty invalid and I respect that.

I'd also be lying if I said I didn't watch the Oscars just to look at pretty dresses. 

(Pharrell auctioned off his famous hat for charity. Arby's won the auction. I'm so happy.)

There is a serious issue with diversity.  You would think that in 2014 we would have moved along a little more than we have.

My main issue with TBBT, stemming from my other post, is that Sheldon's character clearly has Asperger's Syndrome, and instead of identifying it and creating awareness around it, they use him as the butt of too many socially-autistic based jokes.  It just makes me upset, lol.

She's portrayed as a clothes obsessed, ditzy, heartbreakingly pathetic, flirty, drug addicted prostitute. I think the only stereotype that isn't played on is that she looks like a lonebacker in a dress.

Also, instead of being part of this story that is based on truth, she's completely fictional. So it's not like she was BASED on someone. This entire personality is a fabrication, and it's honestly just insulting. I've told my girlfriend I don't care if she watches the movie, but not to expect me to be sitting with her when she sees it. I've seen enough clips to really know when to not see a movie that gets laughs out of a gun being pointed at a trans woman's genitals and she's told she can have the sex change she's always wanted.

Sorry. I don't need to feel less than human more than I usually do.