Vaginyl Collective Redux (Men view at their own risk).

-tess.

Juan posted a great article about big bang theory a while back. wish I could find it again. I've only seen the show a handful of times but always felt off about it and couldn't understand why I didn't like it. that article was fantastic.

She's portrayed as a clothes obsessed, ditzy, heartbreakingly pathetic, flirty, drug addicted prostitute. I think the only stereotype that isn't played on is that she looks like a lonebacker in a dress.

Also, instead of being part of this story that is based on truth, she's completely fictional. So it's not like she was BASED on someone. This entire personality is a fabrication, and it's honestly just insulting. I've told my girlfriend I don't care if she watches the movie, but not to expect me to be sitting with her when she sees it. I've seen enough clips to really know when to not see a movie that gets laughs out of a gun being pointed at a trans woman's genitals and she's told she can have the sex change she's always wanted.

Sorry. I don't need to feel less than human more than I usually do.

Yeah, that's really troubling. 

If anything, know that this small role might lead to more people standing up and creating movies about real life transgenders. 

Honestly, look at people in other races. It's taken a reaaaally long time for people of any other ethnic descent to get proper recognition. Even so, it's still shaky. With these things coming to light and winning awards, there's a more chance people will be "brave" and start giving these stories recognition. 

I mean, even with Laura Jane Grace. Think about the stories that will develop from her story alone. There's a positive movement happening. Unfortunately, there is going to be a lot of offensive/troubling things before it happens. 

Just wanted to hop in this thread and say that I'd +2 this post were it possible. Terrible show for a multitude of reasons. Really disheartening to see it adored by everyone and anyone I interact with, in person.

My Grandpa watches it and I'm just like GRANDPA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. 

While the first stereotype can be directed towards women (or prostitutes) in general, the 'comedy' in the gun being pointed at her genitals is absolutely not acceptable.  Being anything but a straight, white, mentally stable American is NOT something to laugh at.  Ever.

What Logan said is definitely looking on the positive side of things.

a gun being pointed at a trans woman's genitals and she's told she can have the sex change she's always wanted.

while i do not find this funny at all, i feel that it's probably something that may actually happen in real life, and is a real (and terrible) issue that shouldn't be shied away from just because it's awful and uncomfortable to think about.

i haven't seen the movie, so i can't really speak to any of the content, but without seeming heartless or offending people (which i am most definitely not trying to do), i don't see the problem with jared leto playing a transgendered woman. it's acting. that's what it is. while i may take issue with the way that character is portrayed and written in the movie, i don't see why it's a huge issue that she is played by a non-transgendered person. like madie said earlier, all gay characters don't have to be gay, etc. i think it's a measure of one's acting skills to portray something so far from what they actually are in their every day life.

i will say that it's pretty cool that laverne cox was chosen to play a transgender character in orange is the new black.

(again, i'm not trying to offend anyone, and i am admittedly not well versed on this subject matter.  i respect everyone's lifestyle choices. unless you're killing kittens. then you can gtfo.)

while i do not find this funny at all, i feel that it's probably something that may actually happen in real life, and is a real (and terrible) issue that shouldn't be shied away from just because it's awful and uncomfortable to think about.

i haven't seen the movie, so i can't really speak to any of the content, but without seeming heartless or offending people (which i am most definitely not trying to do), i don't see the problem with jared leto playing a transgendered woman. it's acting. that's what it is. while i may take issue with the way that character is portrayed and written in the movie, i don't see why it's a huge issue that she is played by a non-transgendered person. like madie said earlier, all gay characters don't have to be gay, etc. i think it's a measure of one's acting skills to portray something so far from what they actually are in their every day life.

i will say that it's pretty cool that laverne cox was chosen to play a transgender character in orange is the new black.

(again, i'm not trying to offend anyone, and i am admittedly not well versed on this subject matter. i respect everyone's lifestyle choices. unless you're killing kittens. then you can gtfo.)

It absolutely is something that can and will happen. I've even thought of doing it to myself when my depression and Dysphoria decide to double team me. It's not an enviable position.

I should also state that I am not a fan of Jared Leto anyway. At all. The only reason I own a copy of Requiem For a Dream is because Ellen Burstyn is amazing. I would even probably be willing to accept ANYONE else in this role and not despise it as much. But it's HIM.

Also, Loganeatsdirt, I don't mean to be nitpicky, but trans/transgender is an adjective and not a noun. Please don't use "transgenders." Most people probably wouldn't care, but meh.

I have to go get misgendered all day at work. Thank god my legal name change is Wednesday and I won't have to wear this stupid sports bra to work anymore. It hides too much. :(

Laverne Cox's casting is the most perfect thing ever.  I was amazed when I found out her twin played her character before her transition in the show.

whaaaaaatttt. I hadn't heard that before. Very cool.

i am constantly worried about accidentally offending people by using the wrong pronouns. one of my friends from high school whom i had known as a female (albeit a gay one) for my whole life decided recently to be referred to with male pronouns. when trying to tell my parents, who are cool with such things, but get confused sometimes, haha, i took forever to choose my words and wound up just using my friends name instead of pronouns. i never know if it's ok, when explaining to someone like my parents, to say 'she is now being referred to as a he'. because i don't know how else to say that, BUT i don't know if referring to him as a 'she' in the past tense is acceptable or offensive.

i'd stick with using "he" exclusively, even in the past tense.

my problem is saying 'he wants to be referred to with male pronouns from now on' to my parents (who knew this person as a female for the past 15 years). like i said, they are cool with things like this, but would have no idea what i was trying to say about my friend.

Oh, a few weeks ago, I got my first NEW, not bought at a discount store dress. There were some other things I wanted, but my wife an I both agreed that the $40 I was spending was enough.

Our girlfriend comes over with her fiancé later in the day, and presents a bag with the two other items for me. I'm lucky to have both of them in my life. :)

Ugh. I just bought a new box of pads a few weeks ago and I only used maybe 5 out of a 48 count box. 

Suddenly we only have one left and my sister has no clue where they went.

GIRL YOU'RE THE ONLY OTHER PERSON THAT USES THEM UNLESS MY BROTHER IS BUILDING A PAD FORT IN THE BASEMENT.

If they knew your friend before then to explain while using old pronouns, I feel, is fine. The thing is to not out people as trans by using the wrong pronouns to people who didn't know them before.

That's my take, and input.

thank you!

yeah, i wouldn't refer to him as anything other than 'him' from now on, nor would i discuss that with anyone else (mostly because i feel like it's a non-issue? i mean, i don't go around telling people about what i used to do with my life or in relationships). but yeah, i just wanted to let my parents know because they've known my friend for a long time, and i want to be as correct/non-offensive as possible!

did you get to pick out shoes? i feel like getting a new dress means you should also get new shoes.

YES. though anytime is a good time to get new shoes!

Ugh. I just bought a new box of pads a few weeks ago and I only used maybe 5 out of a 48 count box. 

Suddenly we only have one left and my sister has no clue where they went.

GIRL YOU'RE THE ONLY OTHER PERSON THAT USES THEM UNLESS MY BROTHER IS BUILDING A PAD FORT IN THE BASEMENT.

oh man. totally building a pad fort now.

actually, i could totally see my godson doing that hahahaha.

Also, Loganeatsdirt, I don't mean to be nitpicky, but trans/transgender is an adjective and not a noun. Please don't use "transgenders." Most people probably wouldn't care, but meh.

Yeah, when I wrote that I was like "this doesn't seem right at all" but I just kept overthinking it and left it. 

But I'll remember that from now on! 

I have a few gender neutral friends who don't like pronouns and prefer 'their.' I think that's been the hardest transition for me as far as pronouns just because it gets grammatically confusing. I realized recently that almost all my friends are in the LGTBQA side of things and so every time I'm with them I learn something new. 

I'm still dealing/learning about my sexuality too. 

What a weird thing.