Vaginyl Collective Redux (Men view at their own risk).

-tess.

am i the only girl in here who does not wear makeup? never have, makes me feel weird.

i only wear eyeliner. my mom even hired a makeup artist to do my makeup (and my sisters, and some of the other girls in the bridal party) for her wedding since she didn't want a disaster on her hands.

I will never forget the first time I got my hands on blue eyeliner in 6th grade.

I didn't know how to apply it and my sister was at college. I just kinda drew all over my eyeballs and then it was a bad brand that smeared easily.

My mom came downstairs before I left for school and was like "are you wearing makeup????"

I yelled no and ran out the door.

It's common to hire a makeup artist for weddings, no?

probably 3/4 of the weddings i shoot (i'm a photographer), the bridesmaids end up doing each other's makeup. or a friend who isn't a bridesmaid comes over and does it. then again, high end weddings aren't really my thing, so i suppose it's more common for people who aren't as poor as me, haha.

95% of the time they have someone do their hair, though.

I'm so shitty when it comes to makeup.  I only wear eyeshadow and mascara (I couldn't remember the word so I almost put lash lacquer) when I 1. have time and 2. I feel its a special enough occasion.

360 days a year I wear nothing on my face except my glasses and probably chapsick.

I lol'd at the almost lash lacquer

my mom got me this shellac nail kit with a mini UV lamp and everything. my nails have been on point for the last year or so. I love it so much. and it’s so easy to do.

probably 3/4 of the weddings i shoot (i'm a photographer), the bridesmaids end up doing each other's makeup. or a friend who isn't a bridesmaid comes over and does it. then again, high end weddings aren't really my thing, so i suppose it's more common for people who aren't as poor as me, haha.

95% of the time they have someone do their hair, though.

My stats are the opposite.  3/4 of the wedding's I've shot there is always a makeup artist and a hairdresser that's hired to come in.  Either that, or we're told to go to the salon and shoot there while they're getting ready.  I hate shooting at salons.

Whaaaaat I want that!

Also most of my sister's money comes from weddings. I guess it just depends?

Ugh, we have mirrors behind the shelves at work and I pretty much have to close my eyes when grabbing anything from them.

I think out of all the things I deal with, body dysphoria is easily the worst.

I try not to talk about it often but it's been really bad the past two days.

I lol'd at the almost lash lacquer

my mom got me this shellac nail kit with a mini UV lamp and everything. my nails have been on point for the last year or so. I love it so much. and it’s so easy to do.

That nail kit sounds amazing.  I love having my nails painted, but I have to keep them sort otherwise they break. :(

Also, I will say PA weddings are a lot more low key. The weddings I've shot in PA have been no hair or makeup people and anything out of state is always both.

The one bride did her own make up and was like "why would I hire anyone to do my makeup, I went to school for this."

And her eyeliner was uneven and all over her face. Her friends fixed it but just. Wow.

That nail kit sounds amazing.  I love having my nails painted, but I have to keep them sort otherwise they break. :(

I have pretty hard nails, but between doing them I will use a nail care top coat. I don't know if it works but my nails are always pretty long and healthy.

the shellac is awesome. it dries instantly and makes your nails super shiny. it truly last for 2 weeks without chips, and stays just as shiny as the first day.

it's really the one cosmetic thing I've tried that actually was better than the hype it got. I will never go back to regular nail polish.

haha, I never realized how passionate I felt about it until now.

I feel like such a tomboy sometimes. My laziness overpowers my ladylikeness. 

I was a big tomboy. I always swore I’d never dye my hair or wear makeup. then I became a little rebel in high school and dyed my hair different colors and wore dark eyeliner.

now I am where I am, and I’m not sure what it is but it’s fun. I’ve really enjoyed getting into makeup/nails/clothes. but I still like all the weird things I did when I was a tomboy, so I'm not sure where I fit.

i've had my nails done by a professional exactly one time, and that was, you guessed it!, for my sister's wedding.

the lady asked me whether i wanted rounded or square and i looked at her like she had 16 eyes. my sister was sitting next to me and realized that i was doing the stare and blink at the poor lady and answered for me.

any time i paint my nails they are chipped in literally less than an hour. my mom even paid extra to get us all the gel manicures and i still had mine messed up before the wedding the next day. my hands are always a wreck because of all the art i do.

Also, I will say PA weddings are a lot more low key. The weddings I've shot in PA have been no hair or makeup people and anything out of state is always both.

The one bride did her own make up and was like "why would I hire anyone to do my makeup, I went to school for this."

And her eyeliner was uneven and all over her face. Her friends fixed it but just. Wow.

I think it has more to do with the budget than geography.  I've shot weddings in PA, NJ, and NY and they're usually boutique style where they go all out for the "perfect" wedding.  Usually with mom & dad's money.

i prefer to shoot more DIY weddings. i generally like the kind of people better, and i charge less than i should because it's not my main source of income and i just really enjoy doing it.

i've second shot with some big shot wedding photogs in MD and DC and those people usually have hired people to do everything under the sun for them.

I was a big tomboy. I always swore I’d never dye my hair or wear makeup. then I became a little rebel in high school and dyed my hair different colors and wore dark eyeliner.

now I am where I am, and I’m not sure what it is but it’s fun. I’ve really enjoyed getting into makeup/nails/clothes. but I still like all the weird things I did when I was a tomboy, so I'm not sure where I fit.

You just summed me up in a paragraph haha.

Yeah I work for a couple studios that is boutique style through and through and it's just not what I want to be doing.  But it's quick money and it's money I need, plus I dig the guys I work for.  I'm starting to work with a friend of mine from college who is all natural light (which is my style when it comes to lifestyle portraits/weddings) so I'm excited about that.  I have my own weddings, too, which are more of the DIY type you're describing.

i only wear eyeliner. my mom even hired a makeup artist to do my makeup (and my sisters, and some of the other girls in the bridal party) for her wedding since she didn't want a disaster on her hands.

I rarely wear makeup. I can't stand to wear it unless I have to, but I like to keep it simple. A natural powder, mascara and blush. Easy peasy. 

i think the last time i wore makeup was for the formal night of the three day prom we had as a junior in college...so... a decade or so ago? i wish i could find a picture.

3 day prom sounds torturous 

oh my god it was incredible. first night was famous couples, and me and two friends went as a fork/knife/spoon. second night was gangster night so everyone dressed up in like 1930s gangster style. then the third night was formal night, what you'd think of as a prom. add copious amounts of alcohol with all your best friends and you have an amazing three days.