Nirvana - Bleach Colored LP (2x Newbury Comics /750 & /750)

Complain all you want. As long as stuff like this keeps my local independent record store and Sub Pop in business, I'll be happy. 

Nobody is forcing you to buy these. I mean, maybe some of you should be happy it's expensive. It's another record you don't need to spend money on. 

I don't think people are pissed because they're forced to buy these. They're pissed because they love collecting records and before the New York Times, Tiger Beat & every other form of media wrote the "VINYL IS MAKING A COMEBACK" article, all of these would have cost 1/4 as much. It's fucking frustrating. I'm not buying it even if it was reasonable but yeah it pisses me off how quickly the price of vinyl skyrockets the minute they realize someones interested. If records went from $10 to $15 dollars people wouldn't care but this is blatantly greedy.

I wish Nirvana put all they're stuff out on SST. $13 black records FTW.

Doesn't matter. ORG would still take it and make it sound great but way too expensive like they did with Sonic Youth. What we really need is a repress of Sister and Evol again. Not more of the already easily available Bleach.

I don't think people are pissed because they're forced to buy these. They're pissed because they love collecting records and before the New York Times, Tiger Beat & every other form of media wrote the "VINYL IS MAKING A COMEBACK" article, all of these would have cost 1/4 as much. It's fucking frustrating. I'm not buying it even if it was reasonable but yeah it pisses me off how quickly the price of vinyl skyrockets the minute they realize someones interested. If records went from $10 to $15 dollars people wouldn't care but this is blatantly greedy.

So, you really think record prices are skyrocketing because Tiger Beat wrote an article? 

Here's the reason things get more expensive: people pay for it. Supply and demand. 

A lot of this just seems like petty whining. I don't plan on buying this and I agree that it's too expensive. But I want Newbury Comics around. I want Sub Pop around. I want records around. So who cares? 

People on this board obviously failed economics

So the popularity of vinyl goes up, sales go up, demand goes up, but you expect the price to stay the same? And the same time, if it wasn't for the boom many of the same records you all look forward wouldn't have been made

Don't like the price? No one is forcing you to buy it, but continue bitching because businesses want to capitalize on a booming market

but continue bitching because businesses want to capitalize on a booming market

Since it's an open forum where we're all allowed to voice our own thoughts and opinion, I think I just might.  Thanks.

[edit]

As to avoid being a totally negative nancy, I will say that the new variants look pretty awesome.  Especially after Newbury's latest tame streak of solid translucent colors.  This and the new Wu-Tang press look like they'll turn out nicely.

Since it's an open forum where we're all allowed to voice our own thoughts and opinion, I think I just might.  Thanks.

[edit]

As to avoid being a totally negative nancy, I will say that the new variants look pretty awesome.  Especially after Newbury's latest tame streak of solid translucent colors.  This and the new Wu-Tang press look like they'll turn out nicely.

I'm not saying don't bitch about it, everyone has their right to do so. I'm also expressing my right to point out how stupid the complaining is about prices is in 2014.

Yeah I know, everyone on here is an economics major whenever someone gets pissed when a record is overpriced. It's not "supply & demand" it's straight up taking advantage of peoples naivety. Some will buy it but I certainly won't. $35 is way too goddamn much for a 25 yr old record with absolutely nothing new on it.

Let me be completely honest. This release is for young kids with their parent's credit card & hair trigger impulses. RSD is coming up and this shit will sell like hot cakes but it doesn't make it okay. 

Yeah I know, everyone on here is an economics major whenever someone gets pissed when a record is overpriced. It's not "supply & demand" it's straight up taking advantage of peoples naivety. Some will buy it but I certainly won't. $35 is way too goddamn much for a 25 yr old record with absolutely nothing new on it.

Let me be completely honest. This release is for young kids with their parent's credit card & hair trigger impulses. RSD is coming up and this shit will sell like hot cakes but it doesn't make it okay. 

Stupid kids! Get off my lawn! 

Maybe posting a little harder on the internet will help those poor, naive kids and they're poor, naive, rich parents from helping keep independent record stores and labels in business by paying for overpriced vinyl that you'd buy in a heartbeat if it were fifteen bucks cheaper. 

I'm also expressing my right to point out how stupid the complaining is about prices is in 2014.

Very fair point.  I'm not going to get defensive against anyone who's all about these represses and their price points.  Just wanted to get in my two cents and read how others feel.

Spot on.  These presses won't last long at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if a quarter of them were pinned directly onto dorm room walls.

The funniest thing to me is that I guarantee half the people complaining in this thread will turn around and justify paying way too much money in another thread because it's a new and/or more limited release. 

I ordered a double LP earlier this afternoon — limited variant on 180 gram.  One album and an entire 12" dedicated to unreleased tracks / demos / etc.  Accompanied by a large 12-page booklet of liner notes, photos, and what have you.  That whole package - after shipping and taxes - was barely $28.  Now that's a cool story.

Newbury Comics & Sub-Pop were both around way before they had the balls to charge $35 for a bare bones repress. I don't get it, do you think $35 is a reasonable price for one album or are you sticking up for the people that do? Nobody is whining here, we're talking about the audacity of some labels nowadays. Look around, it's totally justified. 

Stupid kids! Get off my lawn! 

Maybe posting a little harder on the internet will help those poor, naive kids and they're poor, naive, rich parents from helping keep independent record stores and labels in business by paying for overpriced vinyl that you'd buy in a heartbeat if it were fifteen bucks cheaper. 

Do you honestly think the future of independent music retail is in banking on charging too much for pointless cash grab reissues? Are you excited about that vision of the future? And yeah, I'd buy it if it were 15 bucks cheaper. THAT'S THE POINT. I have nothing against an indie chain teaming up with labels to do something special. That's cool. It's when they don't even try to hide that this is all about money for them, they clearly don't care because they'll sell through the pressing even if it means putting a bad taste in some potential customers' mouths. It's certainly not a sustainable model.

And let's look at the labels involved with Newbury so far: Sub Pop, Jagjaguwar, Asthmatic Kitty, Fat Possum. Big labels with big valuable catalogs that don't need to sell 1500 more copies of a top-seller (Bleach is PLATINUM, motherfucker) in order to keep the lights on. Honestly, it really just reflects poorly on them that their releases are being sold at such an inflated cost when you can get the black version for less than half what Newbury is selling them for.

The funniest thing to me is that I guarantee half the people complaining in this thread will turn around and justify paying way too much money in another thread because it's a new and/or more limited release. 

Nah

Newbury Comics & Sub-Pop were both around way before they had the balls to charge $35 for a bare bones repress. I don't get it, do you think $35 is a reasonable price for one album or are you sticking up for the people that do? Nobody is whining here, we're talking about the audacity of some labels nowadays. Look around, it's totally justified. 

Someone is winning. Newbury Comics and Sub Pop are winning because they're charing a price for an album that people are going to pay. 

No, I don't think it's a reasonable price. I just don't understand the point about complaining about it on the internet ad-nauseam. 

Newbury Comics and Sup-Pop have been around for a while, but that doesn't mean they're rolling in millions. Newbury sold CD's for years and nearly closed several stores when people simply downloaded music rather than purchase it. Vinyl has given them a shot in the arm. For that, I'm happy, and if stupid people pay for this record and it helps keep them in business? I'm happy about that and I do benefit from that. 

I do not get why this is so difficult for anyone to understand.

Keep in mind that, regardless of price, this is still a HUGE, internationally popular band with an equally huge fanbase that will shell out the $ for this stuff. That alone will keep it in print, while the hobbyists keep the price up.

I got the white 2xLP 20th Anniversary from SP and it was cheaper than this so I guess I did okay. *shrugs shoulders*