I'd like your opinion on headphones...

Did some searching through this forum and was looking for headphones advice...(If there was a larger headphones advice thread, I apologize, couldn't find it). I did see in one thread a few recommended these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-429-Headphones-Smartphones/dp/B009HQTORS

Here's what I'm looking at: I don't know much, but I think I want surround sound, because I want to use it to plug into my turntable and also my computer and playstation. (I've looked into gaming headphones too, but I don't play anything that requires a microphone, so that's useless to me) Wireless is nice, but not necessary. I know beats are shitty, I wanted them at one time cuz, colors! ooohhh, that must mean quality...

Thanks for your help one and all!

Top would be around 200 I'd say.

In that case, I can't say enough good things about Audio-Technica ATH-M50s.  I've had my pair for a few years now, and once they burn in they sound magnificent.  I've used them for gaming, movies, casual iTunes jamming, and vinyl.  The MSRP is $200 but they're usually on sale between $90 and $130 at any given time on Amazon.  The straight-wire version is even cheaper, too.

You can see how they stack up to the competition with this sweet graphic, which I found a while back and instantly saved for future headphone ideas.  You may even be more intrigued by something else on there.  And as an aside, the two gripes with the M50s on that graphic aren't exactly agreeable on my end.  While burning in my M50s I "stretched" them out a bit by allowing them to sit over the top of my computer chair for an extended period of time.  They can get a little bit warm, I guess, but any closed headphone has that "issue".  For being as large as they are, they really are comfortable.  They do a great job at avoiding any pinching or pressure points with extended use.  And I personally think they sound just fine for gaming, but I have no doubt there are better options that will either cost you extra or sacrifice other strengths that the M50 excels at.

http://time.com/74886/best-headphones/

scores based on:

a ) 75% expert reviews from tech-oriented publications like CNET, Wired, PC Mag
b ) 25% specs and features like frequency and noise canceling ability

01. Shure (90)

02. Grado (89)
03. Klipsch (84)
04. Pioneer (83)
05. Sony (80)
06. AKG (79)
07. Sennheiser (78)
08. JVC (75)
09. Audio-Technica (74)
10. Panasonic (74)
11. Apple (74)
12. Bose (73)
13. Philips (72)
14. Creative (68)
15. Koss (68)
16. Skullcandy (62)
17. Beats by Dre (58)
18. Plantronics (57)

In that case, I can't say enough good things about Audio-Technica ATH-M50s.  I've had my pair for a few years now, and once they burn in they sound magnificent.  I've used them for gaming, movies, casual iTunes jamming, and vinyl.  The MSRP is $200 but they're usually on sale between $90 and $130 at any given time on Amazon.  The straight-wire version is even cheaper, too.

You can see how they stack up to the competition with this sweet graphic, which I found a while back and instantly saved for future headphone ideas.  You may even be more intrigued by something else on there.  And as an aside, the two gripes with the M50s on that graphic aren't exactly agreeable on my end.  While burning in my M50s I "stretched" them out a bit by allowing them to sit over the top of my computer chair for an extended period of time.  They can get a little bit warm, I guess, but any closed headphone has that "issue".  For being as large as they are, they really are comfortable.  They do a great job at avoiding any pinching or pressure points with extended use.  And I personally think they sound just fine for gaming, but I have no doubt there are better options that will either cost you extra or sacrifice other strengths that the M50 excels at.

Thanks! In my research, I came across these and they look killer, my current top choice, thanks for the recommendation!

scores based on:

01. Shure (90)

02. Grado (89)

03. Klipsch (84)

04. Pioneer (83)

05. Sony (80)

06. AKG (79)

07. Sennheiser (78)

08. JVC (75)

09. Audio-Technica (74)

10. Panasonic (74)

11. Apple (74)

12. Bose (73)

13. Philips (72)

14. Creative (68)

15. Koss (68)

16. Skullcandy (62)

17. Beats by Dre (58)

18. Plantronics (57)

This is awesome as well, thanks dreamover!

scores based on:

01. Shure (90)

02. Grado (89)

03. Klipsch (84)

04. Pioneer (83)

05. Sony (80)

06. AKG (79)

07. Sennheiser (78)

08. JVC (75)

09. Audio-Technica (74)

10. Panasonic (74)

11. Apple (74)

12. Bose (73)

13. Philips (72)

14. Creative (68)

15. Koss (68)

16. Skullcandy (62)

17. Beats by Dre (58)

18. Plantronics (57)

That's an interesting read, albeit a bit expected, I think.  Skullcandy and Beats By Dre are garbage, and most anyone who cares about the way their music sounds can attest to that.  (With Skullcandy, at least, you're getting what you pay for.)  I hear that most everything put out by Grado is killer, but at the cost of being open cans which can be compared to strapping speakers over your ears – just not practical for public use or any instance where you'll need to be considerate with your volume.  (But to be fair, I never take my M50s out in public.)  I'd still like to try out a pair, someday.

And yeah, it goes without saying that good Klipsch and Shure models are going to sound phenomenal if you've got the $700 - $2,000 to burn.  But if that's the case, don't forgot about Denon, Beyerdynamic, or HifiMan.

Thanks! In my research, I came across these and they look killer, my current top choice, thanks for the recommendation!

Let us know what you decide to roll with.  I don't know how much you buy into burn in - since some people swear by it, and others insist it achieves nothing - but there are some great "white noise" sites out there that make for ideal burning.  I personally think it really helps, and I have friends who've noticed a considerable difference right out of the box.

scores based on:

01. Shure (90)

02. Grado (89)

03. Klipsch (84)

04. Pioneer (83)

05. Sony (80)

06. AKG (79)

07. Sennheiser (78)

08. JVC (75)

09. Audio-Technica (74)

10. Panasonic (74)

11. Apple (74)

12. Bose (73)

13. Philips (72)

14. Creative (68)

15. Koss (68)

16. Skullcandy (62)

17. Beats by Dre (58)

18. Plantronics (57)

Awesome list.  Thanks, Dreamover.

I think that ATH-M50s are a good buy around $100 (set up an alert at slickdeals.net).

I have a pair and used them pretty frequently until I picked up a pair of AKG-Q701s.  They can be had for around $150-$200.

I found the M50s would get uncomfortable after a while but I can wear the AKG Q701s all day.  Partly due to the headband design and partly because they are open back and breath much better.

Another set to check out are the HE-300s that have been on clearance for $200 lately.

Let us know what you decide to roll with.  I don't know how much you buy into burn in - since some people swear by it, and others insist it achieves nothing - but there are some great "white noise" sites out there that make for ideal burning.  I personally think it really helps, and I have friends who've noticed a considerable difference right out of the box.

Pretty sure I'm going to get the ATH-M50's

Awesome list.  Thanks, Dreamover.

full disclosure: i work for shure :D

pretty cool when i found that article and shared it with the company

And yeah, it goes without saying that good Klipsch and Shure models are going to sound phenomenal if you've got the $700 - $2,000 to burn.  But if that's the case, don't forgot about Denon, Beyerdynamic, or HifiMan.

Shure headphones, although we have some high-end pairs, aren't necessarily that expensive. Our current line has fantastic over-ear headphones in the $100-$200 range (probably cheaper on amazon). We also have some of the best in-ear buds ever. 

Our current over-ear headphones: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones

I have a pair of the 840's at my desk and they're fantastic for the price.

as far as in-ear buds: http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/se-earphones

I use the SE535's, but all my friends use the SE215's and they're incredible for what they are. 

Plus, we have one of the best warranties in the business.