I'd like your opinion on headphones...

I recently bought a pair of HiFiMan FE-300 (they're on sale for 50% on Audioadvisor.com), which replaced a pair of Grado SR60i's.  They're a bit darker than the Grados.  They sound more similar to the Grado SR80's but more comfortable.  I'd have no problem recommending any of these headphones.  

Just to counter the beats bashing - the latest model apparently has decent sound (according to Tyll at Innerfidelity) and I would trust that guys opinion on headphones given his experience.

Out of curiosity, why not go for an open headphone, particularly since you are keen to use them for gaming - you will get a better soundstage with open - m50s wont give you that sense of immersion.

I own the m50xs and they are fantastic for listening to music and I use them as my portables, but I think other models would edge them out in the gaming arena

http://time.com/74886/best-headphones/

scores based on:

a ) 75% expert reviews from tech-oriented publications like CNET, Wired, PC Mag

b ) 25% specs and features like frequency and noise canceling ability

01. Shure (90)

02. Grado (89)

03. Klipsch (84)

04. Pioneer (83)

05. Sony (80)

06. AKG (79)

07. Sennheiser (78)

08. JVC (75)

09. Audio-Technica (74)

10. Panasonic (74)

11. Apple (74)

12. Bose (73)

13. Philips (72)

14. Creative (68)

15. Koss (68)

16. Skullcandy (62)

17. Beats by Dre (58)

18. Plantronics (57)

I'm sorry, but this list is completely useless. So is the linked article for that matter.

It hurts my head just how many things are wrong with this, but I'll point out just a few of the most obvious ones.

- score is based on "expert" reviews by publications like CNET, Wired, PC Mag... If those are the ones they mention, I don't even want to think about which other sites they took as reference. Seeing that those three mentioned are some of the worst places to go for audio advice, period.

- score is partially based on specs... wait, what? Not only do specs have close to zero correlation with audio quality, the specified numbers are rarely even true. Oh, and let's not forget the noise cancellation ability, the pinnacle of fidelity in all top end products.

- apparently budget is irrelevant, meaning every manufacturer that makes a good product in one price range makes a product of the same value in other ranges as well. And vice versa.

But yeah, what I got from that article is that if I want to spend $200 on an open-back set of headphones I can settle for "sounds good" with a pair of sennheisers or audio-technicas, or I can jump two classes higher and go "supersonic" with klipsch.  :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but this list is completely useless. So is the linked article for that matter.

It hurts my head just how many things are wrong with this, but I'll point out just a few of the most obvious ones.

- score is based on "expert" reviews by publications like CNET, Wired, PC Mag... If those are the ones they mention, I don't even want to think about which other sites they took as reference. Seeing that those three mentioned are some of the worst places to go for audio advice, period.

- score is partially based on specs... wait, what? Not only do specs have close to zero correlation with audio quality, the specified numbers are rarely even true. Oh, and let's not forget the noise cancellation ability, the pinnacle of fidelity in all top end products.

- apparently budget is irrelevant, meaning every manufacturer that makes a good product in one price range makes a product of the same value in other ranges as well. And vice versa.

But yeah, what I got from that article is that if I want to spend $200 on an open-back set of headphones I can settle for "sounds good" with a pair of sennheisers or audio-technicas, or I can jump two classes higher and go "supersonic" with klipsch.  :rolleyes:

So let's say you're right...what is a reliable source for creating a similar list that doesn't go by what you're referring to above and still provides as accurate as possible a list to go by? Didn't word that well but you catch my drift... :)

Although a very narrow selection, this photo posted by Derek on the first page is a really solid "bang for buck" guide. It doesn't really take into consideration different listening/sound signature preferences, but for what it is it's a solid guide.

For earphones/IEMs, this is the list of all lists. Granted, it's still just a subjective point of view, as will every list be, but you can certainly see the effort, and more importantly, the abundance of experience that went into it.

For full size headphones, this one is really great (it covers IEMs as well though). The info on each model isn't as in-depth, but it covers the most notable attributes.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a pair of open back Senns. Sound stage is incredible, and for rock or anything in into at realm, they can't be beat.

Only time I catch myself wishing had closed backs is when I'm listening to something deep and dark like Burial, the sound stage is a bit too open because I like to feel more "trapped" or enclosed with that kind of music.

Just bought a pair of Hifiman HE500s with a Magni/Modi stack. Did a lot of research on different pairs on head-fi and went with the HE500 after trying my friend's HE 400s. Before these I've been using Logitech UE 6000s, which are nice, but these HE500s give way more detail and I'm sure the amp/dac stack will bring out an even better sound.

Just bought a pair of Hifiman HE500s with a Magni/Modi stack. Did a lot of research on different pairs on head-fi and went with the HE500 after trying my friend's HE 400s. Before these I've been using Logitech UE 6000s, which are nice, but these HE500s give way more detail and I'm sure the amp/dac stack will bring out an even better sound.

I pretty much did the same with a pair of DT990 250ohm and a Asgard / Modi stack. Sounds incredible.