Android (OS)

I hear you on that. I have nothing wrong to say about iPhones. They work, plain and simple. Have yet to use one where it malfunctions constantly and I tend to see a lot of lag with Android devices, so I do give kudos for iOS in that regard. It's only until I've rooted my device and customized it is where I barely see any lag or problems. Runs fantastic.

Yeah, all of the updates and apps tend to go for iPhone first before Android (one of the things I liked when I had the iPhone 4S).

Although, to be fair, I think the HTC G2 is a preeeeety outdated phone compared to the 4S, haha. The 4S is definitely tons better.

I'm not sure, actually. I don't think so, but seeing as how easily you can root these devices and run custom stuff, I could imagine you could run some iOS software on the Android phones. But don't quote me on that, haha. Rambo would be the guy to ask. Dude knows a lot more than I do.

I was always on the "I really do like both phones" side and I kind of still am.

I say if you want something simple and reliable for basic needs, cannot go wrong with iPhone. They really do work great. But if you like tech stuff and like customizing things, Android definitely is the way to go.

But I think if you used a newer Android phone, I don't think you'd be let down. Unless you're really comfortable with iOS, then you might not be super into it.

That's why I hated Android platform. I've been fighting all day to try and make my GF's android tablet work (a gift from her parents) and a Dell Windows tablet work (a gift from my parents).

I will gladly sacrifice endless modifications and customizations for simplicitic ease of use and user friendly functionability.

I don't own a computer so I've been tryin to find a way to make either of these damn tablets mirror to the TV via our Blu-Ray player since it uses miracast....fucking nightmare scenario shit with both tablets continually crashing to the point of the android tablet is stuck in a safe mode loop....and then the windows tablet does the exact same thing. Wish I had money for either a computer or Apple TV and AirPlay.

I have an 11 year old iPod (pre click-wheel) that still runs like a champ, a first gen iPod touch that still runs like a champ.

I have two non iOS tablets that have never been used that I can't get to even turn on...

I've gone through 2 ipod classics, 1 ipod touch, and a MacBook that dumped out in ways that could not be fixed. Never have I once encounter an issue on Windows or Android that I couldn't fix myself. There's millions of people who run stock Android builds out of the box and love em, guys like me and Hybrid simply enjoy manipulating the OS out of sheer enthusiasm. It's fun. If I didn't like this I'd go to some vanilla $600 Facebook machine too, but I like messing with my gadgets and none of this modification nonsense is necessary. More importantly iOS has brutal flaws, to the point where general users are legitimately scared to update their devices to modern proper builds because they usually break their own hardware with incompatible/mandatory updates.

As far as you dumping on tablets goes, I really hope you're not aiming this towards pure Android tablets like the Nexus. If you're buying a $90 Best Buy special then you're getting what you paid for. Shit, a souped up Nexus tablet is the guts to HVR's tape duplication.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you're shitting on an operating system I thoroughly enjoy without having any knowledge of it's architecture and basing your opinions off a device you personally don't use as a daily driver. It's a pet peeve really and nothing against you, but please don't barge into our proactive discussion to tear it down haphazardly. We let you guys nerd out over Apple garbage and never butt in.

Worded it how I couldn't.

BTW, I totally fixed that volume issue. Working perfectly now.

And as for Dead By Dawn, what phone are you using and what model? We'd love to help you get more life out of your phone! Maybe some info on if you recently updated it to Lollipop. A lot of users had problems when updating. I know I did, but now running a custom ROM and it's smooth as butter.

Worded it how I couldn't.

BTW, I totally fixed that volume issue. Working perfectly now.

And as for Dead By Dawn, what phone are you using and what model? We'd love to help you get more life out of your phone! Maybe some info on if you recently updated it to Lollipop. A lot of users had problems when updating. I know I did, but now running a custom ROM and it's smooth as butter.

I am Bladie, yo. Also, a ZTE Grand X. Old outdated phone from 2012. Would restoring to factory settings help? Honestly, this thing has never updated, I think I have Jellybean.

I've gone through 2 ipod classics, 1 ipod touch, and a MacBook that dumped out in ways that could not be fixed. Never have I once encounter an issue on Windows or Android that I couldn't fix myself. There's millions of people who run stock Android builds out of the box and love em, guys like me and Hybrid simply enjoy manipulating the OS out of sheer enthusiasm. It's fun. If I didn't like this I'd go to some vanilla $600 Facebook machine too, but I like messing with my gadgets and none of this modification nonsense is necessary. More importantly iOS has brutal flaws, to the point where general users are legitimately scared to update their devices to modern proper builds because they usually break their own hardware with incompatible/mandatory updates.

As far as you dumping on tablets goes, I really hope you're not aiming this towards pure Android tablets like the Nexus. If you're buying a $90 Best Buy special then you're getting what you paid for. Shit, a souped up Nexus tablet is the guts to HVR's tape duplication.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you're shitting on an operating system I thoroughly enjoy without having any knowledge of it's architecture and basing your opinions off a device you personally don't use as a daily driver. It's a pet peeve really and nothing against you, but please don't barge into our proactive discussion to tear it down haphazardly. We let you guys nerd out over Apple garbage and never butt in.

Riiiiight, at least the other person addressed my points. Additionally I don't have Facebook. Apparently we've had radically different luck with Apple products. None of the updates are forced....just like android's non-rooted platform you choose when to upgrade/update.

The sparking off point with Bladie stating the 2012 Android devices is crapping out......I'm running a 2011 iOS device without any issues other than I managed to crack the front screen.

Agree that both tablets were probably cheap and shitty buys. That's kind of also part of my point....android and windows platforms don't really have QC on their lower price-point devices.

As far as the other guy's point about using a less outdated Android. I don't hate my Girlfriend's Galaxy 4 (I think it's a 4?), but none of the touted features that were supposed to work actually work. She has apps that force close repeatedly on her. She's gone through 3 batteries trying to get one that would hold a charge. She uses my 4s to take pictures because she has a hard time getting hers to focus most of the time.

Only single app that has ever crashed on my 4s is Afterlight, and it started when I upgraded to iOS 8. I realized that it couldn't handle one aspect of larger photos and work around that now with ease.

As for staying out of the discussion? If you wanted to have a private discussion the PM system still works on the board, I believe.

I feel it necessary to say that I'm not even an apple fanboy or iSheep....I've had two different Windows desk top computers one which ran Wjndows 98 until it shat out and the other XP which went through 3 different hard drives because they kept corrupting. During the time of the XP device I was using the schools editing labs with Macs and thoroughly enjoyed how few extra steps it took to do something as simple as printing or saving files. I've never owned an apple computer. I owned an android before an iPhone and didn't like much of anything about it except that it was a smartphone. I owned an earlier brand of MP3 player before my now 11 year old iPod that I still use and it was horrible to use. Do I have issues with iOS devices? Hell yeah. I want to trash the majority of the apps that come pre-loaded on iOS. I simply put them all in a folder and move it off of my home screen so I don't deal with them. I have just had less issues with the iOS device than I have had with android devices

I completely understand wanting to and enjoying mods. I'm horrible at software engineering or writing code/editing. But I throroughly enjoy modding guitars and amplifiers...physically taking things apart and rebuilding. My 11 year old iPod's battery wasn't holding a charge for more than an hour or so, so I replaced it. My girlfriends iPod nano's screen got cracked while working out one day, so I replaced it.

My real issues with Android/Windows/iOS or Mac are incompatibility issues with each other

One of the biggest differences between the two when it comes to system versions is that Google has segregated the Services aspect to a standalone application, meaning that when there are significantly upgrades the system apps like Maps, Keyboards, stock browsers, email clients, etc. any user with a Jellybean or higher device can get them without moving to the newest version of Android, Apple still holds those upgrades behind a system update. I feel like people tend to overlook huge blunders Apple has done, like releasing the 4 with an antenna issue making it unusable with your left hand, or their Map feature sending people to the middle of the ocean. At least your girlfriend has the option to easily try new batteries when he's goes out and doesn't need to have you dismantle her device to replace it.

As far as Blade's device goes (and no offense to him), but it wasn't a flagship powerhouse device when it was released, so it's not really far to hold that to comparison.

Of course you're welcome to join in the discussion, but it didn't seem like you had anything positive to say which is why I questioned your input. It's not a big deal, but we've never shat on Apple or really even discussed them in this thread at all prior.

In a perfect world Apple would allow you to multi-rom any of their OSs, but they're extremely protective of it. I too wish they were more universal instead of reactionary. That whole 5c thing seemed like a flop and something Steve Jobs wouldn't have ok'd. I feel like the same applies to their Watch which also wasn't a big hit and this supposed car they're working on. That company has changed drastically since his death and not in a cutting-edge/trend setting way. It's bizarre.

I am Bladie, yo. Also, a ZTE Grand X. Old outdated phone from 2012. Would restoring to factory settings help? Honestly, this thing has never updated, I think I have Jellybean.

It'll help, but the best advice I can give you is to just upgrade already! Haha, you can probably find a high-end lightly used device released last year on Craigslist or something similar. I love my LG G3 and it's technically outdated at this point but runs like a dream.

Apple Watch is the most superfluous gadget I've ever witnessed. Had that came out a decade r more ago maybe it would've had a bigger impact. But a modern day Dick Tracy watch? Who actually NEEDS that? Regardless of price-point it's absolutely ridiculous.

If given one it would suffer (almost) the same fate as these damn tablets I'm pissed about (with exception being I could actually resell the apple watch with ease).

Agreed that iPhone 4 antenna problem was actually kind of funny and 5c was as useless Apple Watch.

But, also....I mean android and window users alike scoffed and heavily mocked iPads when they came out until they started selling and companies on Android and Windows platforms had to scramble to throw one together.

I still think tablets are silly. I've still only seen very few practical applications for them (most of which seem to only be available in iOS). I still think of them as a way to shut up your kids on car rides.

For the record, I've been following this thread quietly just because software engineering I think is interesting regardless of how incapable my brain is at comprehending it.

I just wouldn't ever want to purchase a product that I had to rely on (I don't have a computer....my smart phone is quite a lot of things for me....MP3 player, pocket calendar, email, Internet, phone calls, text message, photography, ect) that I immediately needed or felt obligated to mod the software....that might not end with the functionality that I need. I've seen a decent amount of this part of this mod didn't work going on here. Hell, even if I did want that, no computer to do so anyways.

Bigger question I suppose.....if Apple made their iOS software a little more open source or completely open source like android would you stay on Android? I can safely say that the only mods I would make for my phone to better suit my needs would be getting rid of the pre-loaded apps for the tiny bit of space they take up and so I didn't have every link I click on automatically open in Safari. Those are the entirety of my gripes.

I would 100% stay on Android as my daily driver, I wouldn't be opposed to having a secondary iOS enabled device for messing with (let's say I was able to multi-rom my Nexus to boot into iOS). Hell, if I could run iOS on my PC like how you can run Android via Bluestacks I wouldn't be against using it for exclusive games and whatnot. My experience with an ipod touch made it very clear that it wasn't for me, I didn't think it was bad but I needed more control over my device. Same applies to OSx, once our MacBook took a dump I decided to go back to Windows because it suited my interests better. iPod classic is still a fantastic device, I just couldn't justify paying hundreds of more dollars on a third device when at this point my phone could do the same thing.

I do use an ipod shuffle every day for podcast listening. This thing has been run through the washer at least 5 times and still works fine.

Also the "get what you pay for" thing.

I didn't pay for either of my phones nor the tablets.

The HTC G2 was left at my old job and sat in lost and found for two months without a battery and nobody ever came to claim it. So I purchased a battery and a charger for it because it was a T-Mobile device and I was still using a Motorola RAZR. I got it charged up. Fired it up and realized it belonged to a guy that had been on a business trip, all of his contact info was still on there, using the recent google maps search I could see which hotel he had stayed in. Sent him an email explaining. He said it was a work phone and he already had another to just wipe it clean and do whatever with it. So I factory reset it, loaded my SIM card and used it. I didn't even have a data plan for the first year plus I used it....just hopped on WiFi when it was available. I went through three batteries in it total and became more an more frustrated with using it the more I used my first gen iPod touch. Something as simple as playing mp3s was a bit of a hassle on the HTC device.

That device took its first tumble ever almost three years into using it and apparently it was basically a perfect drop. Screen broke and from there everything started to stop working....starting with Internet and then down to other apps and finally texting/phone calls (all within 24 hours). So I plugged it into the wall charger and tried to restart it and it stuck in an endless reboot cycle. Googled it, tried everything and couldn't get it to stop. Took it to TMobile where they basically laughed at me and said "you're lucky this lasted this long". So I was out of a phone for a few weeks...still had a computer though.

Finally a coworker said, "I've got an AT&T iPhone 4s you can have.....buuuut, the front and back glass are shattered". So I gambled and replaced the glass got him to get it unlocked from AT&T and then set it up for TMobile. I can honestly say I was sold almost immediately with ease of use and over all functionality.

On the HTC devise I had made it a point to go in and change where all the contacts saved to my simcard and imported contacts previously stored on the phone.....I don't know how or when it happened, but over half of my contacts ended up being saved on the phone only and when I dropped the simcard into the iPhone I was missing the vast majority of my contacts...I can only assume I either incorrectly imported them to the simcard or some update that I downloaded reversed my settings. Either way that alone was frustrating enough.

My girlfriend has had issues with her Samsung Galaxy several times saying it can't recognize her SIM card and we have to completely dismantle her phone and put it back together to get it to work properly.

For me and my personal experiences the apple products and iOS software seems more stable and more reliable. (Currently knocking on wood that this phone will continue to hold up as I have no money for anything new).

So for a free device on each platform, I've had much better user experience with the iPhone.

Also both tablets seem to be dead now. Let them stay in their loops until the batteries ran out, have had then plugged up and neither will power on.

All I want to do with one or both of them is miracast Alabama football games to my TV via my BluRay player because I don't have cable. I was very close to getting it to work yesterday, but after minute of getting it to work the windows tablet crashed and went into recovery mode. And despite being the only "user" on the tablet, somehow I'm not the "administrator" so my password doesn't work to even get into it in recovery mode to try to fix the damn thing. Why wouldn't the only user on a system automatically be made the administrator? Really frustrating dealing with windows more so than android

So I looked at my device's root storage and I see two files: "newrecovery.img" and "oldrecovery.img". Don't know what these are or if I'm allowed to delete them. Don't want to potentially mess up my phone.

Edit: I think these popped up after I started flashing different ROMs. Or my guess would be when I did a Nandroid back up to my device and it made these files. Ever since, I've been saving them to my SD card.

So I looked at my device's root storage and I see two files: "newrecovery.img" and "oldrecovery.img". Don't know what these are or if I'm allowed to delete them. Don't want to potentially mess up my phone.

Edit: I think these popped up after I started flashing different ROMs. Or my guess would be when I did a Nandroid back up to my device and it made these files. Ever since, I've been saving them to my SD card.

How big are the files? If they're not taking up any useful space I'd leave them be. Sounds like it could be some residual junk given it's just in your root storage folder and not any system container.

How big are the files? If they're not taking up any useful space I'd leave them be. Sounds like it could be some residual junk given it's just in your root storage folder and not any system container.

Oh. Well...they're gone now lol. EVERY MB COUNTS

I really want to get a new phone just so I won't have a 16GB phone anymore. It's so frustrating. I mean, I never run out of space. Usually have around 7GB left, but that's because I don't download all the games I've purchased and when I try to transfer to the SD, only about 30MB go to the SD and the rest of the 1.09GB or some bullshit stay.

Dafuq

There's root methods to force installs on your SD card, I'm sure Google can point you in the right direction. I've never messed with them but I usually only play 1-2 games on my phone and they're tiny dumbass puzzle games like TwoDots, Drop 7, Threes, etc. I do scoot over image/video files regularly but it's more out of preference than necessity.

Just Googled and found a method. Will read it over well, but I've also heard Link2SD is a good way to do this. Might purchase it. Only about $2.50.

If it does what you want it to and won't cause you to have to do anything I'd just buy it. Lemme know how it is, might have to try it out myself!

PS: download Google Rewards if you're not already using it. You get Play Store credit for doing little surveys. It adds up quick and is prefect for sporadic buys like this.

Holy shit, that was so worth it. I had GTA: III on my phone and when I regularly tried to move it to the SD (as most phones allow you to, with certain apps) it would only move about 2 MB into my SD and I still had the 1 GB plus on my phone still. Now all of it is on my SD card and the game works flawlessly. Def a must buy if you want to have multiple big file games like those on your phone.

You can also link all the files when you're progressing in the game to the SD card.

Also, thanks for the heads up on that app! Have $1 so far, haha. Don't know how frequent the surveys are, but it's almost been a full day and haven't seen another. It's still good though.

Okay, I had moved every single file to my SD card. It said 100%, so I think that's what the problem was. Tried it again, but just left some files on the internal memory and nothing disappeared. Well, did it for Clash of Clans and around 95% is in the SD card, so that's a win on its own, I'd say.

I'll re-download GTA: III and see what happens.

Beta tester! Be sure to let the dev know in an app review or email. Google Reward surveys are super random. Some weeks I'll get several over a couple days in a row, then nothing for a while. Also try and lie haha. I noticed the more time you spend doing a survey the higher the reward. Like when it asks a yes or no question just answer yes then select open ended answers to prolong the process.