Android (OS)

Yeah, I don't plan on buying any other Samsung devices until they go back. They did good with the S5. But I'm pretty sure your G3 looks tons better than mine. G3 has a higher resolution than the S5. Only thing is the S5 is a AMOLED screen. I haven't seen the G3 screen, but I've heard it looks awesome. And I didn't know that they supply them with the screens. That's weird. But I guess money is money.

Haha, it's so useful. I'm loving it.

You were using a six year old card? Daaaaamn, haha. Definitely was time for an upgrade! The 64GB is only like, $18 on Amazon. So worth it, but I did just end up going with the 128GB. Feels awesome to have so much memory, haha.

Although I've ran into a bit of a problem with it. I was trying to create a second partition on it. One of the main reasons was to download tons of apps and move as many as I could to my micro SD. My phone is only 16GB and I hate it, however I usually never use up more than half. But I've been wanting to have more games on it. I found a process to follow, but I have to burn an ISO CD/DVD and play it on my computer and all this stuff. I kind of remember how ISOs work, but all of this is because the regular partition wizard doesn't work with these bigger capacity cards. A 64GB would probably be okay, but I'm not sure. Worked fine with the 32GB I had. I am going to go through with it and do it though. It'll be worth it. Have way too much storage now, so might as well put it to good use.

Also, my new phone case feels so good on my phone. A LOT thinner than the one I used to have. Feels great. Even test dropped it about 3-4 feet and nothing happened. Not the best test, but eh. Wanted to see if they were good cases and they seem to be.

• 4 weeks later...

3gb of RAM is still really good for a smartphone, however since they're pushing VR alongside this that could impact the experience.

The other day when I was running and my phone rebooted and continued to bootloop (I was 5 miles away from home and had moved my nandroids to my PC and didn't have a back up on hand). The ROM I was running had been acting funky and finally just collapsed.

Been running a Marshmallow cyan hybrid and it's been killer. My battery is usually at 15% by now but it's at 50%. Only issue was that I couldn't import my cloud save for Fallout Shelter and it somehow got wiped. All those hours of tapping stuff wasted!

I saw this on GSM Arena, but now I've seen some reviews that day 4 GB. I do hope it's 4. Don't know why they'd make it 3.

Holy crap, that's a bad situation. I actually haven't been making Nandroid back ups lately and now I'm a bit paranoid. Might make one now. I'm just on CM13. It's been nice for me. Only bugs I have always noticed with these kinds of ROMs is the installed flashlight is buggy. Every time I have audio playing and I turn on and then turn the flashlight off, the audio crashes and I have to clear it and restart it. Fixed by just downloading a flashlight app. Also when I have low brightness, my screen gets all buggy and starts flashing random colors??? I wish I could record it. I'm actually testing battery saver and the screen is flickering. The hell. But other than that, it's fine.

Sucks that you lost your Fallout Shelter info tho.

Are you using official CM13? I ended up flashing an official nightly last night because my GPS wasn't working with Resurrection Remix. Seems fine, although my alarm app was force closing this morning when I was trying to shut it off haha. Think I'll stick with this and flash nightlies every so often.

What's your AudioFX setup? I'm enjoying how punchy the plate reverb makes the drums but not sure how good this will span across all genres.

hmh66qcl.png

Yeah, official CM13! Nightlies are the only ones available currently, so I just make sure to update them as they become available. It works pretty great. I remember you once saying you liked SwiftKey and I used it once but deleted it and now I'm back on it and I dig it. I like the auto spacing after punctuation. Makes typing a lot faster, but I keep forgetting to not manually space, lol.

I actually have not messed with this equalizer. I might have to do it now, but normally I just mess with the equalizer through Poweramp. Very good app. One of the only apps I found that allows lyrics on the screen. I don't think Google Play Music allows that and I was looking for that.

Hybrid, are you having problems making or restoring in-app purchases when using MM ROMs?

"I've noticed I can't make any in-app purchases with this ROM. I wiped my cache/davlik and flashed a newer version of GApps which didn't work, I then installed a newer apk of Google Play Services and that caused a force close issue, I wiped everything, reflashed the new version of GApps and now I'm back to square one. Not sure what I can do from this points, any ideas?"

I'm glad you got it! I don't know what Lucky Patcher is, so I couldn't really help, haha.

The G5 is looking good, but the two rear cameras have me a little... eh. Also, I don't know spending so much on a new phone. I think I just might go with the V10. Looks like a solid phone. Also I really would like to have an IR blaster. If the G5 doesn't have it, that's a bit of a deal breaker for me. I like using it.

Ha, Lucky Patcher blocks Google Play verification for apps with in-app pro unlocks. I used it with Talon (a Twitter client) because the butthole dev tried to double dip and charge users twice for a "new" version when everyone moved from KK to LL. Screw that haha, I already paid once, but Talon sucks compared to Tweetings so I stopped using it anyways.

I completely agree about the dual cameras on the G5, it's a dumb feature but not something I'd feel pressured into using. I'm debating getting the G5 with the VR headset when I upgrade in June, but I'm not sure if I'm going to stay on Sprint or go back to Verizon. Might wait until the new iPhone is out because my wife is a die-hard iOS user and I'm not buying her two phones in one year lol.

Ohhh, that's interesting! Wow, that's a bit of a scumbag move. Screw that. I actually need to look for a Twitter client. The official app is so buggy for me. Constantly force closing on me when I click on profiles.

Yeah, I like the fact that the V10 has dual front facing cameras. That makes a little more sense and would be a tad more useful for me.

I haven't been able to use a VR headset, but that's what people are talking about lately. Would be a cool addition.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot all about this, but you got one for $3? What a steal, haha. I do want one, but I'm wondering how often it will be used.

Also, I've been thinking about not upgrading to a new phone. My S5 is completely fine right now. No damage to it and everything is working fine. Only thing I've been skeptical about is battery life, but it's actually very good. I'm just a power user, haha. Normally lasts me 4-ish hours, but that's with nonstop use.

My sister is the one that has a damaged screen and her buttons don't work, but yet she still doesn't want an upgrade. She sticks with a cell phone until it's completely broken and then she gets a new one.

I haven't decided yet.

So I don't know if my phone is finally breaking on me, but it's been doing something weird lately. I had gone back to Lollipop, because I wanted to try something out, so I did that and it was just acting really weird. I might have used the incorrect GApps. CM12.1 I figured was 5.1 Lollipop. Idk. Anyways, flashed back to Marshmallow and now I've been noticing that my phone will randomly shut off. When I boot up and it shows the boot menu, it will go completely black. The phone is on because when I touch the menu buttons, I can feel the feedback. I just had to remove battery and now it's working fine, but I might have to just start fresh with a stock firmware and see if that works.

Did you clean flash the MM ROM/GApps? Have you tried to re-download either zip and give it another shot? Formating you system in the Advanced TWRP menu helps when moving from one big base build to another. Reverting back to a stock/rooted image should be a last ditch effort.

I ended up reverting back to LL because I wanted to play this Miitomo game and use TVP with my Chromecast the other day. Gonna go back to CM13 hybrid soon because I miss the killer battery life I was getting.

Yeah, I did an advanced wipe before and everything. But I'm starting to think it was maybe a theme I installed. I was having no issues prior.

Battery life is pretty great on MM. I only noticed it when I was sick and barely used my phone. It had battery life all day with basic use.

However I now just realized a new issue with my phone. A while back I noticed my phone was doing some weird flickering when I had low brightness and I always thought it was AOSP ROMs that did it. Just now being on stock firmware, I just realized it doing the flickering. Apparently this issue is common with the S5 and others because of the AMOLED screens and less common with LCD screens. So this sucks. Wondering what to do. Thinking about just selling it while I can get some decent money for it and I might end up going for the G5 after all.

I can get a sweet deal upgrading both my wife and I to S7s. Debating whether or not I want to though. I guess the Edge would be worth the extra $100 for the bigger battery and screen size. My biggest issue is that rooting either S7s will trip Knox and disable Samsung Pay. Not that I really want to use my phone to pay for stuff or take the time to explain to a clerk what I'm doing when I have a dedicated debit card in my back pocket that will work every time at every store, but I don't like giving up features just so I can do shit to my phone that I should be able to in the first place (ad removal, app backup/import, root exploration, etc.).

My wife will be jumping ship from iPhone back to Android. She hated it before but she had a Droid 2 or 3 and that thing just sucked in general haha. She blames me for her poor Android experience, saying I messed up her phone when really all I did was remove bloat. I'm concerned about her switching back but if she's down to then I think I'll just take the upgrades. Gonna adjust my plan and save some coin as well. I pay like $180 for 20gb shared and we use maybe 8gb a month. Fuuuuuuuck that.

Haha, yeah that's one thing that's annoying about Knox. It's dumb. But from what I've heard, there's only a root method for the international models of the S7/S7 Edge. All of the Exynos models. The Snapdragon models all have a locked bootloader as far as I know. I'm not sure if they can eventually bypass this, but I haven't heard of anything yet. The phones are fantastic though and the Edge would be the better choice. I've heard the Edge features are a lot better this time around compared to the S6 Edge. And yeah, better battery is nice. I've heard it has great battery.

YES, I hope she comes back! I could see how she had a bad experience when she had a phone like that, haha. That's what I've been telling friends and people who are mainly iOS users that Android was rough back in the day, but all of the current flagships are outstanding. You really can't go wrong right now.

$180 for two lines? Damn, that seems pretty steep. I still have a grandfathered plan with T-Mobile, so I'm not getting rid of that any time soon, lol.