Android (OS)

Troubleshooting on Project Fi is always, I wouldn't say a nightmare, but challenging. I get to troubleshoot to figure out whether or not it is the ROM nightly build or the service or the wifi or the app(s) that is causing me problems.

Currently trying to trouble shoot MMS via three different apps too. So ROM x Apps x Signal = me annoyed. So far I only have SMS and MMS fully working via Hangouts which is Hangouts and SMS integrated. Don't really like Hangouts that much, but I'll give it a try. I'm tired or trying so I'm using this until another build comes out. Haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Gave up on Xposed after failing. I'll probably try again, but I just wanted it to get a WiFi tether app. I always thought these would work by using your actual phone signal, instead of the hotspot signal. I messaged the developer of the WiFi Tether Router app and we couldn't find a solution. Kind of bummed. I use my hotspot a lot and I hate that I'm limited. In other countries they don't limit you, so wtf murrica.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally flashed a CM based ROM on my LG. Resurrection Remix (Marshmallow). Tossed a smoke glass theme on it with lower DPI. So far so good. I was able to mimic the LG double tap on/off feature with Apex gestures and an app from the Play Store. Plus you were right about these Audio EQ mods. Makes a huge difference. Like with all CM ROMs I'm expecting random freak outs over the next 48 hours. The only funky thing so far is a persistent Domestic Roaming notification in the pull down bar, but it's not too bothersome. Also i'm gonna be running a secondary device's alarm clock in case this randomly powers down in the middle of the night.

That sounds pretty awesome. I'm running unnoficial CM13 Marshmallow. So far so good. It had some bugs back when I tried it about two weeks ago, but now it works pretty great. Have noticed it freezing up on me and I've had to remove the battery once though, but it's been mainly smooth.

And yeah, having those EQ mods are awesome. Unfortunately there's none for 5.1/6.0 for Viper4Android. Developer hasn't been working on them, but hopefully some day he can. Was a really awesome EQ.

• 1 month later...

Oh, for fuck's sake. I just found out why I was having the issue with my mobile data being slower with YouTube.

Okay, so I'm on T-Mobile and recently they've started to do this thing that all video streaming will be free for their customers (or something along the line). It's called "Binge On". I was about to pay my bill online (don't like doing it over the phone) and while I'm looking at my account, I can see the lines on my plan, but I see "Binge Now" right under my line with a description and a link to turn it on or off. I click the link and find that it's in fact turned on. Now, I'm already paying for unlimited everything, so I just asked myself why this is even selected. I switch it to "off" and it says under the on/off button that it would take around an hour for it to take effect. The whole day passes by and I'm on my phone and I notice that I've been having full bars all night. Usually it's one or two less throughout the day, especially in my room. So I go on YouTube.

All of my streaming works great now. YouTube loads perfectly without issue. It's like the problem never happened. I was still having this issue just yesterday, so I doubt the service got better in my area overnight.

I just think it's a little ridiculous that the option was forced onto my account without my authorization, because this seems to have been what was slowing down my Internet speed.

Matt, I gave Pure Nexus a good 48 hour run, but I flashed back to Chroma 6.0.1 last night. The new radio I flashed seems to have boosted my signal strength in several spots where previously my reception was ultra shitty though, so thanks for that link!

Oh, yeah? What is your opinion on it? What made you switch back? I like Pure Nexus because it is very basic (where it gets its name). I like that there isn't a lot going on, but opens it up to let me do what I want, and not be weighed down by a lot of intrusive stuff I don't. I like my phone to be pretty minimalistic so it isn't bogged down (in terms of memory, and aesthetics). I used to use CM back in the day, but it became a little too *much* for me.  

And that's good to hear. Band 12 definitely comes in handy. Have you used your phone in any buildings yet where you had bad service? Cause you should notice an improvement (because of the LTE 700 that is now supported - which is supposed to travel through walls easier).

Oh, yeah? What is your opinion on it? What made you switch back? I like Pure Nexus because it is very basic (where it gets its name). I like that there isn't a lot going on, but opens it up to let me do what I want, and not be weighed down by a lot of intrusive stuff I don't. I like my phone to be pretty minimalistic so it isn't bogged down (in terms of memory, and aesthetics). I used to use CM back in the day, but it became a little too *much* for me.

And that's good to hear. Band 12 definitely comes in handy. Have you used your phone in any buildings yet where you had bad service? Cause you should notice an improvement (because of the LTE 700 that is now supported - which is supposed to travel through walls easier).

I think it just came down to being already familiar with Chroma, and Pure Nexus not giving me anything I didn't already have. Chroma is already pretty clean, and I strip away anything I don't want...PN just didn't have enough "newness" to keep me.

This radio though, is kicking ass. I'm currently in a store with my work client - this place is built like a damn Faraday cage, and last time I was here I got no service at all...now I'm getting 4 out of 5 bars.

Damn Hybrid, and I thought Sprint was always fucking me over haha. You should call their 'end service' CS line and rip their ass for throttling your data speeds, tell them you've already spoken to Verizon about buying out your plan and you're going to do it unless they compensated you. See if you can squeeze a credit or free upgrade out of them.

Damn Hybrid, and I thought Sprint was always fucking me over haha. You should call their 'end service' CS line and rip their ass for throttling your data speeds, tell them you've already spoken to Verizon about buying out your plan and you're going to do it unless they compensated you. See if you can squeeze a credit or free upgrade out of them.

I just might! Because wow, man. Would've at least liked a message saying it's been activated or *something*.

I'm just glad my service is back to normal, hah.

Anyone know of a good place to buy micro SD cards from?

Looking for a 128GB (preferably Samsung) and wondering if there's somewhere where I can find some cheaper ones.

Sandisk would be fine, but I've heard of people having no problems with Samsung, whereas they've had *some* problems with Sandisk.

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, I usually have to buy it from the manufacturer on Amazon, but I've even seen people receiving fakes. And I don't even want to talk about eBay, although I know of a legit seller with the current SD card I have.

I've been ripped off before. Bought it from China. Yeah, don't do that.

I had figured out how to turn it off myself, then realized Max Lee (High On Android) had made a video on it as well.

I see what T-Mobile was doing, but for everyone? A simple email or a text to let me know of the service being activated or *where* I can activate it would have been a lot better. I have unlimited Internet, so I don't see why I even needed to have it on.

Been thinking about purchasing the LG G3 since it's so cheap right now, but I think they're announcing the G5 in late February and that they might drop prices on the G4, so I'm probably going to wait for that. I mainly want it for the bigger internal memory. The extra gig of Ram would be nice too. I'm assuming the phone runs faster with more RAM? I'm not sure, haven't looked into it.

Yeah, I've heard rumors about the new Samsung devices having a removable battery and expandable memory again, but I really do not want a phone without at least those two. I just don't know if I should sell this phone and go for the G3, since this Galaxy S5 works great. Nothing wrong with it at all.

See, just having that extra gig of RAM makes me want to go for it.

I couldn't find this thread from the name change, haha.

I plan on selling this phone and buying a new phone. I would like the G4, but the only real improvement I see is just on the front and rear camera. Would be sweet.

I do like this S5, but the waterproof flap at the bottom has become a big annoyance. Not to mention the USB 3.0. It does charge pretty quick though. Last time I checked it, I charged it up to around 60% in about forty minutes. Isn't bad at all. The flap has just slowly become annoying as I have to carefully unhinge it, since I've broken one in the past. It is easily replaceable though. I just never put my phone near water, sooooo. It's useless for me. Ya homeboy can't even swim.

I did buy a new phone case that I'm getting today. Went with a Cruzerlite.

Also, Google is sweet. Been using the 'OK, Google' function and it works pretty flawlessly. Been using it to play music and it works every time. Haven't had an issue yet. Need to see what else I can have it do.

My cousin picked up a G4 last year, it's screen is awesome. However, amazing screens is usually Samsung's gig (they supply Apple with the screens for the iPhone, which is funny given they're smartphone competitors). I'd switch back to a Samsung device if they didn't lock down their bootloaders and went back to supporting SD cards and battery swaps.

I too use the hell out of Google Now. It's perfect for taking quick notes, setting reminders, alarms, and sending a voice-to-text message while driving. I'm freely giving Google so much info it's disgusting haha.

You inspired me to upgrade my micro SD to a 64gb card. My wife bought me a camera recently that needed a card, so I popped my 32gb card in there and upgraded my phone's. It's so much faster it's ridiculous. I bought that older card with a Droid X like 6 years ago, the performance difference is crazy.