shit people say that you can't stand

In the Pacific Northwest, we apparently have the most unabridged English of all (no fucking stupid quirks like the Southerners have or "wahrsh"), so when I hear somebody in fucking Washington fucking say "Warshington," I don't even know how to react. It's like, are you not from here or just a fucking idiot?

you wouldn't survive in massachusetts

I've replaced that with "and that's how you get ants"

Archer?

Also I get a lot of annoying stuff at my place of employment, mostly people assume since I'm a bouncer that I'm just some huge brain dead douche bag who gets enjoyment pulling their fake IDs :P

.....but at least I'm on the Dean's list and not the one who gets arrested that night :P

For the most part, I find it really rude to be critical of others for the way they speak, when it's based on dialectical differences or just different idiosyncrasies of language.

I should have been more clear - these are people I know who I know for a fact are not from out-of-state. It's not "cheeky" or "cute" to talk like you're from somewhere you're not, especially if you're saying "Warshington." It makes me livid. 

no fucking stupid quirks like the Southerners have or "wahrsh"

This, however, probably could have been said better. Sorry if I offended you.

For the most part, I find it really rude to be critical of others for the way they speak, when it's based on dialectical differences or just different idiosyncrasies of language.

This! Sure, some of the stuff people say may bother me, but in the end I could care less (but I don't feel like it).

"Chief," "boss," "bud," so on. This is stupid and always results in me saying it right back. I grew up in a military family. You don't address strangers this way. Also, "hey." If we are not familiar, you may not seek my attention with "hey" unless one or both of us is in immediate mortal danger.

"Pardon me," "excuse me," "sir," "ma'am," "miss," these are phrases adults use when addressing one another in public. Except maybe when you are talking to children.

"Chief," "boss," "bud," so on. This is stupid and always results in me saying it right back. I grew up in a military family. You don't address strangers this way. Also, "hey." If we are not familiar, you may not seek my attention with "hey" unless one or both of us is in immediate mortal danger.

"Pardon me," "excuse me," "sir," "ma'am," "miss," these are phrases adults use when addressing one another in public. Except maybe when you are talking to children.

I work in independent customer service and I use 'boss', 'brother', 'man', 'dude' all the time. Breaks the monotony and I'd like to think it makes me seem friendlier than if I woodenly called everyone 'sir'. If I'm just handing you your coffee, there's no way I'd know or care if you grew up in a military family, I'm just trying to be nice.

Every female is 'miss', though. I know that much.

I don't really have a problem with any of this stuff, but I say a lot of it sarcastically, so I'm not sure if that's worse or what. Tumblr phrases and 'literally' bug me from time to time.

Oh, another one that gets under my skin a bit are people who use 'like' several times a sentence.

I work in independent customer service and I use 'boss', 'brother', 'man', 'dude' all the time. Breaks the monotony and I'd like to think it makes me seem friendlier than if I woodenly called everyone 'sir'. If I'm just handing you your coffee, there's no way I'd know or care if you grew up in a military family, I'm just trying to be nice.

All of this. I say sir and ma'am a lot, so I switch it up occasionally. *shrugs shoulders*

I mentioned it because my upbringing was such that I learned to speak politely to people in social situations. Or, ya know, get backhanded.

I reserve familiar terms for those with whom I am familiar.

All that said, I also consider myself a very flexible communicator. If you said to me, "here's your coffee, dude," I may very well non-sarcastically say "thanks dude!" back.

I have also worked in customer service as a department manager, though. And I absolutely despised when customers would say "hey chief," to me. I was taught from a very young age not to speak to people in that manner. It seems incredibly rude, even condescending, to me.

Do whatever works for you, though. Maybe you posses such a demeanor and leave such an impression that you don't come off that way. I would, but I think a lot of people are never sure when I'm being serious, so I'm always conscious of how I communicate with others. I choose my words, and how I say them, very carefully. It is, as Ancient Greek philosophers used to say, fucking exhausting.

I get that, but just because someone doesn't like it, it doesn't mean they aren't talented.

Of course...

When I personally say a band sucks, it has nothing to do with their talent level, and everything to do with how that talent is being utilized (poor sonngwriting, cheesy lyrics, tired riffs, etc.). I get that not everyone shares that outlook though.

FO REAL. I don't know how some of you can survive under the crippling weight of your own pedantry.

I don't like when people refer to music or bands as "relevant." Relevant to fucking what? If it's being discussed on this board, it's probably not relevant to popular culture, politics, or world issues*, and it's not like your personal taste in music determines whether a band is "relevant" or not (again, to what?). 

* Unless it's some type of overtly political music, but Brand New and Kanye West don't fit that mold.

Usually this just means their music has been outpaced by their contemporaries & followers, and what they bring to the table no longer has significant creative or cultural worth. Generally the arbiters of relevance skew young, as that's where the money is and that's who defines popular culture, so the older an artist is, the more danger they are in of becoming irrelevant. So you can still be rich, famous, and successful without being relevant, since there is an inexhaustible market for nostalgia and/or bad taste (this board is becoming a monument to that fact). Safe examples include Barbra Streisand, Smash Mouth, Creed, a good 80% of the Christian music industry, etc.

All that said, I also consider myself a very flexible communicator. If you said to me, "here's your coffee, dude," I may very well non-sarcastically say "thanks dude!" back.

I guess I've been lucky to work in a loose environment where most people wouldn't mind if I were familiar with them - if you come up with a complaint or something serious, my demeanor changes pretty quickly. I'd like to think I can refer to you as 'boss' and still be polite, but I guess it depends on the situation and where you are.

I get that, but just because someone doesn't like it, it doesn't mean they aren't talented.

That doesn't negate my right to call them terrible. I say that knowing it's an opinion you can ignore.

Guest joshjenk99

yes it does. its common knowledge that if more than 2 people in the world dislike a band or artist then that artist or band has no talent at all in the musical realm of life.

FO REAL. I don't know how some of you can survive under the crippling weight of your own pedantry.

Usually this just means their music has been outpaced by their contemporaries & followers, and what they bring to the table no longer has significant creative or cultural worth. Generally the arbiters of relevance skew young, as that's where the money is and that's who defines popular culture, so the older an artist is, the more danger they are in of becoming irrelevant. So you can still be rich, famous, and successful without being relevant, since there is an inexhaustible market for nostalgia and/or bad taste (this board is becoming a monument to that fact). Safe examples include Barbra Streisand, Smash Mouth, Creed, a good 80% of the Christian music industry, etc.

ALL OF THIS!

Of course...

When I personally say a band sucks, it has nothing to do with their talent level, and everything to do with how that talent is being utilized (poor sonngwriting, cheesy lyrics, tired riffs, etc.). I get that not everyone shares that outlook though.

Agreed. What I'm trying to say, for example, is that my brother will argue with me to the ends of the earth that The Beatles suck. Even though I'm not an avid fan, I recognize that they are very talented and changed music forever. But nope, they just suck/are bad/awful/"gay"

I also can't deal with the constant barrage of "clever" portmanteaus to replace perfectly functional words that we already have.

Or the names of basically anything on the menus at quirky, cutesy, fun restaurants like Applebee's. I can't deal with it.

I also don't want to "build my own" anything off of the menu. For some reason, using that phrase makes the food seem unappetizing to me.

http://youtu.be/x5haDL78AJE

Agreed. What I'm trying to say, for example, is that my brother will argue with me to the ends of the earth that The Beatles suck. Even though I'm not an avid fan, I recognize that they are very talented and changed music forever. But nope, they just suck/are bad/awful/"gay"

It is cool to hate The Beatles nowadays, so I don't take those opinions seriously, especially since they can never back it up with an actual band that matters to that level.