PO: Pinback-Summer in Abaddon

I'm calling all you whiners out next time you purchase a Hot Topic repress of a 12 year old screamo/anthony green/blink 182 album for $20+ dollars. 

I don't disagree with you, but unfortunately that's pretty expected with Hot Topic.

It's much less expected straight from Touch and Go (no middleman) on an album that came out 10 years ago, but is still pretty readily available for 40% less than what they are asking for this HQ180 MAROON LIMITED TO 500 RELEASE.

I don't disagree with you, but unfortunately that's pretty expected with Hot Topic.

It's much less expected straight from Touch and Go (no middleman) on an album that came out 10 years ago, but is still pretty readily available for 40% less than what they are asking for this HQ180 MAROON LIMITED TO 500 RELEASE.

very true, but I meant more in terms of where the money is going. Hot Topic always has zero to do with any release they put out; the recording, the marketing/promoting, the artwork, the music on there, the mgmt of the band, the booking of shows, the finding them places to sleep on tour, and countless other things indie labels do for bands, with the exception of some shit labels. When you buy from HT, which is owned by an investment firm now...so lawyers basically, the money goes to them for making something pretty, but still being based off of someone else's hard work, the band that made the album and the label that promoted/distributed it, that they just happened to have enough money to get the rights to. If you buy something from a label directly, that money goes to them, like you said no middle man. So Pinback can go on tour and sell these and make money for the label who have, since this album came out up until their last album on TR, been the ones to put them on tour, promote their work and so on. I agree the price is a little steep for an in print album already, but to me I much prefer having my money go straight to bands rather than in the pockets of an investment firm who snatches up mall stores and tries to change their business model; same firm owns such stores as Aeropostale. 

^ to that point, mall stores employ hundreds of thousands of people, support them with benefits, etc.

We all hate corporations, I get that, but I still have a pretty good feeling that the $4 per record that HT is able to mark up on their heavily-priced licensed exclusives spreads a little thin between the multitude of people that it employs.

I am the biggest supporter of buying direct and giving to the artists, but in this specific scenario we are all simply losing as consumers regardless of who we choose to blame when the new vinyl prices are being examined.

Also, no media mail? There is no justification for that. None.

I bought it. With shipping to Australia it was $47.30 USD. lol.

Everything is more expensive to get ahold of here, but it's my favourite band and they're only making 500 copies, no one held a gun to my head and made me buy it. I hope they use of the cash they make off this album's sales/tour and come back out here.

Now, I just hope the record makes it down here without too many bangs and bumps...

You guys are funny. I bought it and frankly don't care if it's a little pricier than I'd prefer. I love this band and I'm happy to add this to my collection. It'll be nice to have 180g vinyl. I do agree that a repress of Blue Screen Life would be nice too. A 180g copy of that would be fantastic.

Damn! Last month I grabbed the standard version of this! Wish I knew this was comming out!

I really don't get why people are so dissapointed. What is so insane about $25 for a colored, 180g, ltd.500 record being reissued for its anniversary? Is it just because its from the label? So if it was through a third party it would be OK? 

Damn! Last month I grabbed the standard version of this! Wish I knew this was comming out!

I really don't get why people are so dissapointed. What is so insane about $25 for a colored, 180g, ltd.500 record being reissued for its anniversary? Is it just because its from the label? So if it was through a third party it would be OK? 

You must have not been collecting for a long time. When I started $25 was too much for even a 2LP set. I think Temporary Residence even sold some 3LP sets for $25 then. It's a wide disparity, so of course people who remember lower prices are going to be ticked by the continual increase in cost labels try to get for color editions and such.

You must have not been collecting for a long time. When I started $25 was too much for even a 2LP set. I think Temporary Residence even sold some 3LP sets for $25 then. It's a wide disparity, so of course people who remember lower prices are going to be ticked by the continual increase in cost labels try to get for color editions and such.

I have been buying music for many many years as well. Everything has gone up in price and I dont feel that compairing the price of a current new release with something that happened years ago is valid. Im not trying to argue with you, im just curious as to why there is a big deal being made about this release, yet there is no problem with spending $40+ on a Mars Volta album.

I have been buying music for many many years as well. Everything has gone up in price and I dont feel that compairing the price of a current new release with something that happened years ago is valid. Im not trying to argue with you, im just curious as to why there is a big deal being made about this release, yet there is no problem with spending $40+ on a Mars Volta album.

i just made a bad assumption, but I'm not in the MV camp either. Though one of its excuses is being an import since it's MOV. I don't think it necessarily excuses that release's price either though. Hopefully for those people the band is actually doing their own release, like it sounded like they were planning. And getting into the mess of price over years, there is a valid conversation to be had there regarding inflation vs income rates, but I really don't want to talk about the economy.

I can proudly say that I'm bummed about this price and I also did not purchase Mars Volta MOV reissues (because I got the OG pressings at a fraction when they were first released...hell, the 4xLP FTM was only like $50 upon release from GSL) nor do I buy any of the insane nostalgia reissues that are hitting $25 for single LPs from SRC, Epitaph, etc.

I vote with my dollars in regards to this pricing structure. If I didn't already own this Pinback record, I would still go buy the OG black pressing for $15.

I support lots of bands and labels, but once they start price gouging, I'm out. If everyone did this...they would stop.

I can proudly say that I'm bummed about this price and I also did not purchase Mars Volta MOV reissues (because I got the OG pressings at a fraction when they were first released...hell, the 4xLP FTM was only like $50 upon release from GSL) nor do I buy any of the insane nostalgia reissues that are hitting $25 for single LPs from SRC, Epitaph, etc.

I vote with my dollars in regards to this pricing structure. If I didn't already own this Pinback record, I would still go buy the OG black pressing for $15.

I support lots of bands and labels, but once they start price gouging, I'm out. If everyone did this...they would stop.

You said it better than me.

yeah malls nationwide as a whole employ hundreds of thousands of people, but Hot Topic? No....I think its more like 3 thousand employees, probably not including corporate office though. And yeah health insurance is nice, luckily Obama hooked it up so I can remain self-employed, and goth kids need somewhere to work for their minimum wage, which is in the bracket to allow them free health care from the gov't as is, but records are not the only thing they sell. I can dig that you don't like the price, but its hard to compare Touch and Go to a company that netted 741 Million dollars in 2012, couldn't find recent numbers but I'm near positive they've gone up since.

Anywho, Pinback is one of that hardest working bands in the biz. They've had 2 albums chart, starting with this one, have never been on a major label, and are continuing to tour constantly every year. They are traveling to 25 different locations across the country, leaving their families behind, and spreading the 10 year legacy of the album that shot them into the view of a wider audience, with 2 music videos promoted nationally on this album. Even if you don't buy this release, still buy a copy of the black cheaper version for $10 cheaper and support the same label that has put out, generally debut, releases from such masters of their craft as Slint, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Don Caballero, Jesus Lizard, Calexico, Butthole Surfers, TV On the Radio, Rollins Band, Shellac, Big Black, and so on and so on. I'm happy that my money is supporting the band/label that has continued to support and allow monumentally industry altering artists release their material, and thats how I choose to spend it. Support the label still and buy a black copy of this album if you don't own it. 

I suppose I should've been clear that I do also already own nearly every Pinback vinyl release (and CDs! Remember those?!) except for the 10"...so this is the first and only one I am backing out of voluntarily. AND I got my BSL for retail when it was released.

Also, LOL at anyone who thinks that HT is still "goth"

I suppose I should've been clear that I do also already own nearly every Pinback vinyl release (and CDs! Remember those?!) except for the 10"...so this is the first and only one I am backing out of voluntarily. AND I got my BSL for retail when it was released.

Also, LOL at anyone who thinks that HT is still "goth"