just moved to detroit

Anybody out here?

I'm also new. My name is William Bevan. I have been digging for records years... At least since I was 15. I'm 28 now. I have decided to start a whole new collection here. Detroit seems to be a great place to collect ... The garage sales are insanely good from time to time. (I have only been here 30 days!)

Anybody out here?

I'm also new. My name is William Bevan. I have been digging for records years... At least since I was 15. I'm 28 now. I have decided to start a whole new collection here. Detroit seems to be a great place to collect ... The garage sales are insanely good from time to time. (I have only been here 30 days!)

Howdy, I live a bit north of Detroit. Some decent record shops can be found in Royal Oak and Ferndale

I'm from Saint Clair Shores, a suburb of Detroit, but currently live in Ann Arbor for school. There are a few great shops in downtown AA: Underground Sounds (My favorite shop, new releases), Encore Records (A lot of used stuff), and Wazoo (My least favorite shop, used stuff, very small selection).

UHF in Royal Oak and Dearborn Music in Dearborn are two great shops, as well.

I was looking the other day and you can buy 3 bed 2 Bath houses in decent shape for like 15k-20k. INSANE

The 4 bed 2 bath house I rented in Michigan was listed online at like 25k. Cheap cheap living there.

I'm from Saint Clair Shores, a suburb of Detroit, but currently live in Ann Arbor for school. There are a few great shops in downtown AA: Underground Sounds (My favorite shop, new releases), Encore Records (A lot of used stuff), and Wazoo (My least favorite shop, used stuff, very small selection).

I'm pretty sure I just picked up Michigan Nightingales on champ at UHF for a buck.

What high school did you go to? I grew up in shores and went to lakeview, class of '04. Never left. Live on 10 mile canal now.

This should become the official Detroit area thread.

If people are into those huge houses in Detroit, cool, but not for me. The suburbs have plenty of relatively cheap housing (under $100k), and the fire department actually shows up when your house is on fire. Your car insurance goes up in Detroit, those giant houses are so old that they bleed heat and cool air in the winter/summer.

And obviously, the crime rate.

I love metro Detroit and go downtown a lot, but moving into those neighborhoods wouldn't cross my mind if given a 5 bedroom home.

And on record stores, car city records used to be the shit. Closed up, though. You can see it in the movie "band called death."

Record time closed up too. East side doesn't have much anymore. Doesn't really bug me though. My record purchasing is 1/10 what it used to be and the few records I do buy are mail order.