So, as some of you may have noticed, I've fallen off the grid.  The reason for my disappearance is prepping for a giant move.  As of four days ago, I'm a half resident of Washington D.C.  I officially moved all of my things there a last week and my girlfriend starts law school next week.  I'll be finishing off next semester here in Kansas, then it's D.C. for awhile.  So, I'm curious, does anyone here live in the area?  Any tips?  I checked out all the record shops while I was there.  Found a couple pretty cool bars.  I know nobody and have no clue what I'm going to do for work, but I'm super stoked.  Thoughts?

I spent 5 years living in Foggy Bottom - pretty much the heart of DC.  I'm leaving for good in 6 days though to go home to CT, so, well, hahaha,.

The cupcakes really aren't 'that' good.  The best cupcakes IMO are sticky fingers & baked and wired.  I have a huge bias due to veganism.

Where are you living in DC? I can give u more info from there!

I spent 5 years living in Foggy Bottom - pretty much the heart of DC. I'm leaving for good in 6 days though to go home to CT, so, well, hahaha,.

The cupcakes really aren't 'that' good. The best cupcakes IMO are sticky fingers & baked and wired. I have a huge bias due to veganism.

Where are you living in DC? I can give u more info from there!

I recently moved from the U st corridor. The best record shops are Smash, joint custody, and som. Crooked beat is over priced and usually all of the CB groupies get first picks on cool shit that comes in.

Yeah Baked and Wired are the best!

there is a new record store in georgetown real close to B&W that only sells brand new vinyl (not the band) and charges more for them, but the store is real cute

Yeah it's cool, but underwhelming.

I think it's rad they have some old concert prints. They had a White Stripes show poster for like $700. I'd never buy it but one of the 10,000 lawyers in DC probably will.

We live in Brookland.  I checked out all of the record shops; Joint Custody was the best overall, Som was terrible.  Overall, I wasn't too impressed.  Questions I have at this point:  

What are some places in which a singer/songwriter could talk to in regards to playing shows?  Where does local music happen?

By the time I am there permanently I will have my degree in creative writing, are there any local publications, ad agencies, places I should look for work in particular?  

All night taco places, do these exist?  There is a place here in Wichita where I can get a Colorado burrito (steak, cheese, potatoes) at all hours of the night

Is crime really that bad?  My girl is there without me right now and it concerns me that I can't be there to keep her safe.  

We live in Brookland. I checked out all of the record shops; Joint Custody was the best overall, Som was terrible. Overall, I wasn't too impressed. Questions I have at this point:

What are some places in which a singer/songwriter could talk to in regards to playing shows? Where does local music happen?

By the time I am there permanently I will have my degree in creative writing, are there any local publications, ad agencies, places I should look for work in particular?

All night taco places, do these exist? There is a place here in Wichita where I can get a Colorado burrito (steak, cheese, potatoes) at all hours of the night

Is crime really that bad? My girl is there without me right now and it concerns me that I can't be there to keep her safe.

Crime is bad mostly in places that you probably won't go anyways. (Unless you're trying to save money by living in a shitty neighborhood).

There are assholes in every neighborhood, but you'll be fine.

DC doesn't have any all night anything other than some pizza places.

Playing live. Check Sollys, the jazz place across the street from it, and Bus Boys and Poets.

Don't know about writing, I'd consider getting involved with the local improv scene, that's where a lot of the creative writers seems to center.

Som is high on my list cause Neal is a good dude. I rarely buy new vinyl from any of the stores because it's over priced. I buy a lot of used stuff from everyone.

Brookland is a quieter place. I knew of a guy getting mugged over there two years ago but it seems to be coming around. There is a great bar over there. Check out the boundary stone.

I can submit your resume for my company if you want.  Granted we aren't a writing based firm, here are open positions related to writing:

https://corporate-advisory.icims.com/jobs/search?ss=1&searchCategory=8751

I don't know brookland all that well, as I spent my entire life in the pretentious foggy bottom.

Sorry, if you are coming from Dulles, there is nothing in that area. If you are making the trek from Dulles to DC go to Adams Morgan. 18th St has Smash, Joint Custody, and Crooked Beat all right near each other on a couple of blocks.

Haha I am aware. I am making the trek because I don't want to spend 24 hours in my hotel room. Perfect! Thanks for the recommendations!

• 4 months later...

I live next to Silver Spring. There are many good restaurants in the area and probably a wider selection than Kansas. One of my favorites is Mandalay, which is Burmese.  There are more Ethiopian places than probably anywhere in the country. Roger Miller is west African and pretty good. There are many Vietnamese/Pho places and several middle eastern ones too. By the movie theaters Lebanese Taverna is great for a quick lunch/dinner. If you like Peruvian chicken I imagine you could eat a one new one everyday for a solid year.