Taylor Swift - 1989 & More Discussion

jhulud

And yeah, that's not cool. Basically #notallmen was derived from #yesallwomen.

The point of the latter is that ALL women have to deal with harassment and "bad men" but absolutely nowhere has any women said ALL men are like that. Unless you're talking about radical feminists but most don't like their ideals. Women just want to be equals. Therefore #notallmen was pointless and essientally took a movement that was about helping women and the world understand how messed up things are and made it into a self serving mockery.

Let's not forget, the #yesallwomen movement was started after the Elliot Rogers massacre.

#yesallwomen was never about men but men made it about men and that's not cool.

94% of women understand that not all men are bad...but no matter what you look like, we have been raised to clench keys between our fingers if we're in a parking lot alone.

Heres a pretty good article (written by a male) about the ordeal: http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/05/27/not_all_men_how_discussing_women_s_issues_gets_derailed.html

Regardless, what Taylor Swift said was definitely problematic but she's also probably encountered a lot of bad apples. It's really hard to gauge from a small line in an interview how she actually feels. Also, take into consideration that media has a way of spinning things AND since she is so well-known, a lot of answers could even be influenced by a PR team. "We want Taylor to come off funny and smooth, here say this:"

Just things to think about.

(Though I have mentioned before that people around here that knew here didn't care for her or her personality. So it could easily just be poor taste on her behalf. SHE DID write a line about going to tell an ex's friends that he's gay but then do a NO H8 campaign.)

((Sorry you didn't think I could defend Taylor Swift COMPLETELY, did you? ;) ))

(Though I have mentioned before that people around here that knew here didn't care for her or her personality. So it could easily just be poor taste on her behalf. SHE DID write a line about going to tell an ex's friends that he's gay but then do a NO H8 campaign.)

((Sorry you didn't think I could defend Taylor Swift COMPLETELY, did you? ;) ))

Well. When she wrote that line in the song "Picture To Burn", she was only 16 years old. So it can easily be chalked up to not knowing any better and juvenile immaturity. The album was re-released with the line changed. I believe she has even said in interviews that it was immature for her to have written it as such.

Aaaaaaand life goes on.

Well. When she wrote that line in the song "Picture To Burn", she was only 16 years old. So it can easily be chalked up to not knowing any better and juvenile immaturity. The album was re-released with the line changed. I believe she has even said in interviews that it was immature for her to have written it as such.

Aaaaaaand life goes on.

What if it was Beiber that said that though and then reversed it later, are you still having the same attitude about it?

Also as far as the Swift hating older men thing, it was taken from a paragraph that was talking about her dry sense of humor so it was most likely a joke and she doesnt think all males over the age of 15 that like her are creeps.

The last page just proved the real reason why the #notallmen hashtag exists:

Because it's at the point where men can't say anything, not even a harmless joke with zero gravity, without it turning into a whole discussion about misogyny.

I know where it came from. And I know that it was misguided in its inception, and biodigital pretty much hit the nail on the head with he everything he said there. But that whole conversation was unnecessary.

Taylor said something wrong. Not me.

I know where it came from. And I know that it was misguided in its inception, and biodigital pretty much hit the nail on the head with he everything he said there. But that whole conversation was unnecessary.

Taylor said something wrong. Not me.

That's all why we're discussing though :P. I figured that the sweet, kind persona she has everywhere that her comment about the fan seemed odd. But it seems strange to most the way the My Little Pony thing this appeals to grown men is odd.

Edit. I didn't realize you were the one who originally wrote the hashtag here. Yeah I just saw it as a joke.

Yeah but what may be harmless to you might be harmful to others. Also, you don't get to decide what is or isn't unnecessary in a group discussion.

If anyone found that comment harmful then they're just hellbent on finding reasons to be offended.

Sensitive to what? Juan asked an interesting question, asking us to discuss whether or not Taylor is aware of ~this~ portion of her fan base. Full grown men who are in touch with music who are actually into her craft. And in very little time, that discussion has tail spun into accusations of misogyny.

If anyone found that comment harmful then they're just hellbent on finding reasons to be offended.

I'm inclined to agree with this post, I think. I've chosen to stay out of this recent discussion because I'm not 100% familiar with the whole "notallmen" deal - and don't really care enough to research it - but I think I've got the gist of it thanks to the context of the thread. With that being said, and even without grasping the full idea, I could tell Ryan was joking. I feel like the hashtag made that pretty clear? Maybe I'm dense, but I'd say that 99% of a hastag's use outside of Twitter can be attributed to sarcasm or humor.

And while I'm not accusing anyone in this thread of it, what Ryan said is true – in this Tumblr age, I think a lot of people go out of their way to find offense in things that just aren't offensive. There's a gray area to this, like Ashton pointed out: if someone makes a racial slur and insists that it's "all in good fun", they aren't really in a position to assign one universal value on how offensive (or "unoffensive") their words are.

But that's night and day compared to this thread. These past few posts, to me, illustrate why no one is allowed to make a joke without walking on eggshells. It's great that our culture is more accepting and open-minded to a lot of things we previously opposed in the past... but the onslaught of keyboard warriors and Tumblr rants can be a little exhausting.

Just throwing it out there, that I didn't intend for it to go in the direction (for once). 

Even though Ry used the hashtag, I wasn't directing my comment just at him hence "everyone" in my post. 

Wasn't entirely offended. Just really fucking hate that phrase. 

That's all. 

Then I wasn't sure where Biodigitaljazz was headed with the comment made, so I just wanted to sort of spell out my stance. 

Ya digg?

Kay. Cool.

Zero venom involved. Zero tumblr heroism involved. 
Seriously.