Taylor Swift - 1989 & More Discussion

jhulud

my when how and why:

an after party with just about all of my closest friends where everyone was absolutely hammered... and started singing love story. i just sat there with my mouth agape wondering "what the fuck is happening and why am i the only person here who doesn't know this song, let alone every word?"

about a month or so later, it was my friend's going away party as he was moving across the country, and we celebrated with some love story karaoke. not only was i in the loop this time, but i lead the damn charge.

Got caught up and watched the VMAs performance. I thought it was fun and pure pop. That part in the middle where she stopped and wasn't going to jump off was a nice and amusing break. Points to her goofiness. Was she on key the entire time? Nah. A few notes fell flat sure, but I wouldn't be saying that it was horrible because of that. I'd rather watch a band or artist or musician make a few flubs here and there when performing. Shows that they're human and not perfect and not some auto-tuned lip-synching heartless machine. 

didn't think her isolated track sounded that much worse than beyonce's. not to say that taylor sings nearly as well, but they both seemed to be equally affected by choreography.

Damn, now I'm wracking my brain to figure out how and when and why. Damnit.

My "when I discovered I liked Taylor Swift" is waaaaaay less cool.

I was in Old Navy waiting for my girl. WANGBT came on in the store, and at that point it wasn't on my radar but it was catchy as hell, so I fired up Shazam on the phone, and... huh. Taylor Swift. so I went home and checked out Red, and, welp, that was that.

this must have been last spring sometime? I remember not too long after this happened was when those red ACM promo records dropped.

I don't even recall how I got into Swift's music. I don't listen to any radio. I sure as shit don't watch MTV or VH1 or any channels that may still play music videos. Just one day I checked her out a while after her self-titled had come out...maybe a few months before Fearless dropped.

Damn, now I'm wracking my brain to figure out how and when and why. Damnit.

I call bullshit, no one likes her first album. :)

I got into her right before Fearless. I saw the debut of Love Story video on TV when channel surfing and thought it was decent for pop country. Listened to her first cd at the store I worked at the time and found it pretty weak. Got an advance of Fearless and really enjoyed it.

I call bullshit, no one likes her first album. :)

I got into her right before Fearless. I saw the debut of Love Story video on TV when channel surfing and thought it was decent for pop country. Listened to her first cd at the store I worked at the time and found it pretty weak. Got an advance of Fearless and really enjoyed it.

Her first album is the bees knees! I think Speak Now is the best but I'm usually on my own in that thinking

an after party with just about all of my closest friends where everyone was absolutely hammered... and started singing love story. i just sat there with my mouth agape wondering "what the fuck is happening and why am i the only person here who doesn't know this song, let alone every word?"

Haha, my story of getting into Taylor Swift is kind of similar.  It's 2008 and I'm in grade 9.  My 3 friends and I play Halo 3 for hours on end every god damn day.  My one friend would always be singing along to Taylor Swift songs, since Fearless had just dropped.  Anyways, I checked out Love Story, loved it, and we started singing it into the mic every once in a while to piss off our friends.  Now it's one of the most nostalgic songs I can think of.  It will always bring me back to being in junior high playing Xbox in my room blasting T Swift.

Something I've always wondered and thought about. Does Swift have zero regard for any and all of her (non-gay) male fans and auidence? I udnerstand the creepoid-type of guys, but it seems that likely, since dudes are not her "target audience", she dismisses any and all male fans.

Discuss.

Last year, she did an interview and was part of a piece written for New Yorker magazine. There was a portion and comment by her that just got under my skin for some reason:

Swift is a homebody. Even when she’s touring, she tries to sleep in her own bed, picking the shortest distance to one of her three residences and flying home in her private jet after shows. “It’s not a bad gig,” she deadpanned. You might not know it from her public persona, but Swift is funny; she has a dry, ready wit. I told her about the strange man who was seated next to me at the concert the night before. He looked to be in his early forties and was wearing a Taylor Swift T-shirt covered with Taylor Swift pin-back buttons. He announced that he was alone and had driven to Nashville from Oklahoma for the show; he filmed the whole concert on his phone, mouthing every word to every song with unnerving intensity. “He’s probably in a file somewhere,” Swift said.

Link to complete piece: http://www.vulture.com/2013/11/taylor-swift-reigning-queen-of-pop.html

For Logan to try to abolish the #notallmen is humorous, yet picks at a larger issue that Juan touched on.

Not too sure what you're trying to say here but I do 110% agree with what issue Juan pointed out.

A fan shouldn't be put into a creepy stereotype just because of gender/age. The 'not all men' stance has NOTHING to do with that.

If you need an explanation why, a quick google search of why that phrase is ignorant will yield many great sources to read.

Not too sure what you're trying to say here but I do 110% agree with what issue Juan pointed out.

A fan shouldn't be put into a creepy stereotype just because of gender/age. The 'not all men' stance has NOTHING to do with that.

If you need an explanation why, a quick google search of why that phrase is ignorant will yield many great sources to read.

I was mostly laughing at your choice of disposal for the meme. I'm glad you agree with what juan had to say.

I googled it and found the funny memes and stuff but it seems like even that comes from a stereotype of Fedora wearing and tipping, chivalrous gentle sir lords in the friendzone trying to distance themselves from the men who only want to be near women for sex. Which yeah, is different than the grown man driving to another state alone for a Taylor Swift concert. Being 21 and single mostly my own life, I always figured what I loved about Taylor was that she almost represented something that I lacked in my life: women actually making an effort or having interest in men and relationships. When I went to the Red tour I had a girlfriend whom I essentially took to the show- I bought tickets and drive and stuff. I kind of laugh when I told everyone that I dragged my girlfriend at the time at the show. Would I have been viewed differently if I'd told people I went alone? Probably even though I'm not in my 40s. Taylor's comment is funny because she has to know those fans exist- Shes possibly the biggest star in the world, and she does meet and greets like every day or so. I feel like she tried to make a joke or tell the magazine what they wanted to hear.

I've never made a not all men meme but I would say sometimes I've been affected by the generalization of men into sex starved pigs, but boo hoo- that's far from my main problem anyway.