Annoying remarks on Discogs/eBay

nico

My Ride the Lightning that I ordered on Discogs came today...

This is how it was described to me:

mvpzsm.png

When it came, cover was fine, better than I expected really, but the record itself was visibly scuffed and scratched, skipped on two tracks and had actual dirt on it. (and no warp that I noticed.) I'd rather have a slightly warped but still listenable record than one with skips and shit. I just assumed he didn't know how to grade a record due to the grade and description given. Fuck this guy. Don't buy from him as he obviously lies about the record he is selling.

I know people who would play an album in this state and still say it "sounds good". No excuse about the skipping/scratches though. I wouldn't buy anything graded as Good on Discogs though, certainly wouldn't spend more than £5 absolutely maximum.

I know people who would play an album in this state and still say it "sounds good". No excuse about the skipping/scratches though. I wouldn't buy anything graded as Good on Discogs though, certainly wouldn't spend more than £5 absolutely maximum.

It was vg before he "played it" for me to check. Then he said it had a slight warp and dropped it to g. Still said no skipping or scratches though.

It was vg before he "played it" for me to check. Then he said it had a slight warp and dropped it to g. Still said no skipping or scratches though.

can you tell if the skipping is brought on by a scratch or by something else?

I have salvaged records before that had skips caused by "gunk" in the groove. Maybe a good cleaning could help?

can you tell if the skipping is brought on by a scratch or by something else?

I have salvaged records before that had skips caused by "gunk" in the groove. Maybe a good cleaning could help?

It's definitely a scratch. He said there were "no visible scratches" but there are at least 15 significant visible scuffs and scratches. There was also a good smudge of gunk across side B that I cleaned off. I think he just straight up lied to me.

I messaged him, he's been pretty nice so far. Said just send it back and he'd refund my money. I told him I would if he also paid return postage.

If he says no to that I'll just file a paypal claim SNAD.

It's definitely a scratch. He said there were "no visible scratches" but there are at least 15 significant visible scuffs and scratches. There was also a good smudge of gunk across side B that I cleaned off. I think he just straight up lied to me.

I messaged him, he's been pretty nice so far. Said just send it back and he'd refund my money. I told him I would if he also paid return postage.

If he says no to that I'll just file a paypal claim SNAD.

If the scratches cause skipping that grading should be below G. either F or P...and that makes it worth a lot less than $18

Based on the information and Goldmine Grading standards, this record is probably in G shape.

It was definitely a g graded record. The problem is, he said it was g, but then told me it had no scratches, no noise, no skips, which led me to believe that it was not a g grade record.

If this dude makes you pay $3 to ship the record back, you should file a claim with PayPal, contact the Better Business Bureau, text his fiancé photoshopped pics of the dude with another woman, and threaten to murder his dog.

Nah, he's been pretty solid actually since I complained. He's going to pay the return postage.

Do you have a way to play it on another TT? If you play it twice, it skips both times, then just demand a refund. There's no fixing a skip from a scratch. And he said there were no skips, regardless how he graded it. Just send it back. Lose out on the $3 to take a chance at getting a deal. But get tracking. He'll inevitably say it didn't arrive if you don't get tracking.

Edit:

You posted that before I typed my response.

I hope things work out.  This kind of stuff is heartbreaking.  People suck at grading records.  I bought a record off discogs recently and it was graded at VG+.  It was more like visually G, but after cleaning it, it plays pretty quiet, so I didn't complain. I don't fuck with anything less than VG+.

I hope things work out.  This kind of stuff is heartbreaking.  People suck at grading records.  I bought a record off discogs recently and it was graded at VG+.  It was more like visually G, but after cleaning it, it plays pretty quiet, so I didn't complain. I don't fuck with anything less than VG+.

Yeah, that's the thing. If it had been visually a g, but played fine like he said I would have just kind of gritted my teeth and kept it/enjoyed the sweet tunes, but unfortunately it looks all scratched up and plays like shit. So. Y'know it's headed back and I'll just use that money for something else I guess.

Most skips in records, even damaged ones, are due to improper turntable setup or something that is removable from the groove, not actual damage to the record. 

right, he says the skips in this record were from scratches.... I asked about removable "gunk" already in an earlier post.

Regardless, the Gemm grading scale sucks.

It does, but him saying that there were no scratches on it, then it arriving scratched to shit got my ire up a little bit. He also admitted that he only listened to the A side and the skips were all on the B side, but A had some significant scratches and scuffs as well that just didn't skip.

He's been pretty a pretty stand up dude after I complained, I just worry that he'll try to dispute my refund once he gets the record back?

He sent me the money though, so it's a start. The record is going back to him within the hour.