Vinyl/CD Hybrid Disc Series: Jason Lytle, Scott McMicken (Dr. Dog), R Stevie Moore, plus 19 more!

piaptk

Hello everyone, 

I've got a new series of CD/Vinyl Hybrid singles that I call CD-Records.  They play on your turntable and in your CD Player. Same song in analog and digital format.  Available as a set or individually. Includes a custom center-spindle adapter.

I'm releasing 50 of each (they are all limited to 100-300 copies) ahead of the official pre-order to try to gauge interest in the lesser known artists before my PR campaign launches later this month. The line up is pretty incredible, in my opinion. 

Scott Mcmicken (Dr. Dog),

Jason Lytle (Grandaddy),

Circulatory System,

Little Wings,

Wooden Wand,

Simon Joyner,

Money Mark (Beastie Boys),

Howe Gelb (Giant Sand),

R Stevie Moore,

Benoit Pioulard,

Julian Gasc (Stereolab),

Spaceface (mem of the Flaming Lips),

The Blank Tapes,

This Frontier Needs Heroes,

Juston Stens,

Great Lakes,

Cory Gray,

Briana Marela,

Assateague,

LABRYYYNTH,

American Monoxide,

Graves.

v200_CDR_Series_Postcard_copy.jpg

www.PIAPTK.com 

The difference between the VinylDisc singles (the Anberlin and Mars Volta singles) is that those are CDs and 5" vinyl records glued together. It sounds like these CD-Records are CDRs with the digital song burned onto the CD side and then the analog song lathe cut onto the other side.

I'm concerned what kind of wear this would cause the stylus since the CDR is made of polycarbonate and not PVC. (And yes, I know this is more of a novelty item instead of something that is to be played regularly.)

The difference between the VinylDisc singles (the Anberlin and Mars Volta singles) is that those are CDs and 5" vinyl records glued together. It sounds like these CD-Records are CDRs with the digital song burned onto the CD side and then the analog song lathe cut onto the other side.

I'm concerned what kind of wear this would cause the stylus since the CDR is made of polycarbonate and not PVC. (And yes, I know this is more of a novelty item instead of something that is to be played regularly.)

These will not harm your needle.  I drop test (up down up down) and play records through all day long, in two shifts, so, literally 12 hours a day, playing these and my polycarbonate cuts, and I only have to replace my needle once a year or so, and that is with the needle being physically dropped onto the disc 200+ times a day.   Polycarbonate is no harder than PVC, and the playback needle doesn't know the difference anyway... it's not trying to cut anything, it's just skating over the top of a plastic... Your tonearm weight and anti-skate should really set pretty light and neutral anyway for best life from your needle. 

These are lathe cut, vs. pressing, but they sound pretty damn good for lathe cuts (CDs use a very high quality polycarbonate), and I've gotten much better tracking results... still no guarantee for really shitty old players or $60 crosleys, but I test them on those too, and don't have many problems. 

These will not harm your needle.  I drop test (up down up down) and play records through all day long, in two shifts, so, literally 12 hours a day, playing these and my polycarbonate cuts, and I only have to replace my needle once a year or so, and that is with the needle being physically dropped onto the disc 200+ times a day.   Polycarbonate is no harder than PVC, and the playback needle doesn't know the difference anyway... it's not trying to cut anything, it's just skating over the top of a plastic... Your tonearm weight and anti-skate should really set pretty light and neutral anyway for best life from your needle. 

These are lathe cut, vs. pressing, but they sound pretty damn good for lathe cuts (CDs use a very high quality polycarbonate), and I've gotten much better tracking results... still no guarantee for really shitty old players or $60 crosleys, but I test them on those too, and don't have many problems. 

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered two singles. Looking forward to checking them out.