Caspian - Live At Larcom Theater - 10yr Anniversary Show

Because standing and listening to the music isn't what you are supposed to be doing? I hate the fact that people think I am being disrespectful and not enjoying it, when 100% of my attention is aimed towards the band and the music they are playing. I feel bands like this require that kind of atmosphere and attention but just my two cents.

Yeah I get that. You make a good point. I just always felt like bands will feed off of the crowd's energy & lets them know they are into it. Clearly Caspian don't need help to put on an incredible show though.

I just personally find it impossible to not get into a performance so I have to jam out.

Depends on the style of show to be honest.  It'd be strange if someone stood front and center with their arms crossed for the entire duration of a punk or hardcore show, where everyone else was stage diving, jumping around, etc.  But at a post-rock show, I think it's completely acceptable.  I am far from animated at the shows I go to – the most I "get into" a show has me tapping my foot, slightly swaying in rhythm, or nodding my head in sequence with the flow of a song.  I'm basically boring, which is why I won't be front and center for a lot of energetic shows.  But for instrumental jams, I love being up close and personal, and I strongly prefer to soak in the detail of everyone playing their respective instruments.  That's what I paid to see – I can jump up and down to loud music in my living room at home, for free.

Like Bronchitis said, no one should really be expected to give X amount of energy at a show.  I'm not looking to start an argument, I just wanted to share my viewpoint.  That Larcom show was pretty special – if I was there in person, there's no denying I would've been one of those stoic individuals close to the stage, bobbing my head at most.  I don't think less of anyone else who wants to get way into the music, play air instruments, or lose themselves in the moment.  So long as it's not interfering with anyone else's ability to enjoy the show, I say go for it.

Yeah I guess I took a close-minded approach to the topic, & for that I'm wrong. But I guess I'm just different and love jamming like they do while they play. So much more fun for me. And when I see other members of the crowd rocking out, it makes it even more fun. I'm a naturally "twitchy" person though so that probably plays into my inability to stand still.

Personally, I don't know how you can listen to stuff like the bass breakdown in Procellous and NOT lose your fucking shit, or the Quovis -> Further Up -> Further In segment and not go fucking nuts.

I would have lost my absolute shit if I was there.

I saw them in Rhode Island and the sound was terrible, so that really prevented me from being able to get into the music, which was kind of a bummer.

I drove 3 hours hoping I would have a cathartic experience. I did not, at that show. It was great music, but the sound was so bad that is interfered with my ability to let go and get lost in them.

Yeah I guess I took a close-minded approach to the topic, & for that I'm wrong. But I guess I'm just different and love jamming like they do while they play. So much more fun for me. And when I see other members of the crowd rocking out, it makes it even more fun. I'm a naturally "twitchy" person though so that probably plays into my inability to stand still.

I wouldn't sweat it.  You're hardly the first person to bring up that viewpoint, and at least your stance is a pretty tame one.  I've literally read comments akin to "Wow, look at those assholes in the front row.  They probably think they're too cool to get into the show.  Those fuckers should either stay home or give up their spot if they're not going to show enthusiasm.  So disrespectful."  Uhh, what?

Personally, I don't know how you can listen to stuff like the bass breakdown in Procellous and NOT lose your fucking shit, or the Quovis -> Further Up -> Further In segment and not go fucking nuts.

I saw them in Rhode Island and the sound was terrible, so that really prevented me from being able to get into the music, which was kind of a bummer.

I drove 3 hours hoping I would have a cathartic experience. I did not, at that show. It was great music, but the sound was so bad that is interfered with my ability to let go and get lost in them.

Sorry to hear the sound ruined your experience.  Had you been to the venue before?  Did the openers sound like shit, or just Caspian?  I've only been lucky enough to catch Caspian once, but they sounded fantastic.  Not to gloat by any means, but every instrument really shined and all in all I'd say their show resembled their studio versions very accurately.  I would be severely disappointed if they sounded washed out or shoddy.  I feel like that would detract from a lot instrumental bands more-so than your average rock band.  Especially ones with such a broad dynamic like Caspian.

Yeah songs like Procellous, Fire Made Flesh, Ghosts of the Garden City, just make it impossible for me to just stand there.  I personally love closing my eyes, getting lost in the sound, and just losing my shit.  But I also am usually hesitant if no one else seems to be doing it.  Because I don't want to be the crazy guy ruining it for others.  

That sucks if the sound wasn't good when you saw them.  I've seen them 3 times now and their sound is what impressed me the most.  It's literally like a wall of sound that just crashes on top of you and you feel completely enveloped by it.  No other band I've seen live has compared to that.  That includes Russian Circles, If These Trees Could Talk, This Will Destroy You.

Got it last week but still didn't have time to watch it...hopefully tonight! :)

I think the highlight for me was the combo of ASA & Ghosts of the Garden City.  Those two songs back to back was when the whole performance really just started to take off and left me watching with a "Holy shit" feeling.

Also Phil saying "This one's for Chris..." right before Hymn was pretty emotional.

Sorry to hear the sound ruined your experience.  Had you been to the venue before?  Did the openers sound like shit, or just Caspian?  I've only been lucky enough to catch Caspian once, but they sounded fantastic.  Not to gloat by any means, but every instrument really shined and all in all I'd say their show resembled their studio versions very accurately.  I would be severely disappointed if they sounded washed out or shoddy.  I feel like that would detract from a lot instrumental bands more-so than your average rock band.  Especially ones with such a broad dynamic like Caspian.

It was the high end. The treble was so painful, every time they went into a climax is was piercing and just too loud, or the engineer just didn't know how to mix 3 guitars properly. It was weird.

I was up front for the opener, and they sounded fine... but the bass was wayyy too intense up there so I moved back for Caspian.

Perhaps if I went back up against the stage it would have been better, but I was on the left side of the stage (facing it) for most of Caspian, and any time they went to any high register part, the treble would just pierce into your skull. And not in a pleasant way. Very grating.

The drums were super low too which was kind of a bummer.

Just an overall disappointment. I'll bring earplugs next time, for sure, as well.

Just an overall disappointment. I'll bring earplugs next time, for sure, as well.

I picked up some decent reusable earplugs about six years ago and I'm still very happy with that decision.  It's nice not having my ears ringing when I get home.  Shows still sound good and they're still loud enough for me.  I really appreciate them when a show is sparsely attended and the bodies just don't soak up enough sound.