Road Trip - November 15-23 (Nashville/Memphis)

I made a thread about this a while back, but I accidently put it in the wrong forum and I didn't get any help anyway. Also, at that time I thought we were going west instead! Anyway:

In a few weeks, my girlfriend and I are going on a week long road trip (Nov 15-23). We're from SouthEast Texas about 90 miles east of Houston. The plan so for for the trip is Austin to go see Primus on the 15th, and then make it to Memphis the next day (possible stop in little rock) and spend a few days and then Nashville for a few days before we head home. Weve got absolutely no solid plans so far but some of the places we want to visit are Graceland, Sun Records and Johnny Cash museum. We dont know a whole lot at all about the area, so any tips would be cool!

We're looking for tips for any shows, food, bars, record stores, museums or plain ol' touristy stuff.

I made a thread about this a while back, but I accidently put it in the wrong forum and I didn't get any help anyway. Also, at that time I thought we were going west instead! Anyway:

In a few weeks, my girlfriend and I are going on a week long road trip (Nov 15-23). We're from SouthEast Texas about 90 miles east of Houston. The plan so for for the trip is Austin to go see Primus on the 15th, and then make it to Memphis the next day (possible stop in little rock) and spend a few days and then Nashville for a few days before we head home. Weve got absolutely no solid plans so far but some of the places we want to visit are Graceland, Sun Records and Johnny Cash museum. We dont know a whole lot at all about the area, so any tips would be cool!

We're looking for tips for any shows, food, bars, record stores, museums or plain ol' touristy stuff.

Nashville bars/venues should visit the Exit Inn. The whole strip where the Exit Inn is has nice food joints and cool little shops. I like Murfreesboro myself, its about 20 minutes away from Nashville cool little college town full of record shops and bars. Head three more hours to east Tennessee and come visit me at thE Rhythm Section in Gatlinburg.

In Nashville:

Food: Blue Bird Café (breakfast), Gabys Burgers (lunchla), Rose Pepper (dinner)

Record Stores: Grimey's, Third Man Records, The Groove, Found Object

Tours: The Ryman

I'll add to this as I know there is stuff I am missing.

The Rose Pepper defiantly, I eat there every time I'm in town, and don't forget about Jenny's all natural ice cream across the street. Theres usually a line(depending on time of day) and well worth the wait.

I also second Grimeys, probably the best record store ever. Also McKay's for used/new vinyl, CDs, video games, comic books.

And lastly The great escape for everything pop culture/geek. They have all the above plus action figures and collectibles mostly from the eightees and nineties. Good luck and have fun!

Best one in Tennessee by far. I have been to many in Memphis and Nashville and this is at least my favorite! Many people have recorded live there and there's a bitching venue downstairs. They actually have two buildings side by side.. one for all new records, one store for all used stuff and some books. Grimeys too has a coffee/bagel shop too.Post on here after your trip and let us know how it went for you.

Third Man records is super cool.  Very tiny little shop full of some very amazing stuff.  little on the expensive side (heads up)

Hatch Show Prints is also really cool and very near by Third Man, walking distance even.

great spot for cool art and old gig posters from some amazing concerts of decades past.

if you have the opportunity to catch a concert in town I would recommend that too.  doesn't matter who you see, just a great vibe all around.

if you are stopping into new orleans during the day, there is an amazing haunted cemetery tour that is def worth checking out.

if you are stopping into new orleans at night, the last time i was there we found a really cool metal / hell themed bar called Front Of The Dungeon.  Waitress was a snarky and hilarious purpled haired woman that gave my group some very entertaining verbal abuse.  Super cool decor 

have fun!

In Memphis, definitely check out Sun Studios and the Rock n' Soul Museum. I've only driven past Graceland, but my wife is from Memphis and claims it's overrated and not as ridiculous as you'd hope. 

Shangri-La Records is a must. I found so much cool stuff there, like some original Replacements LPs for not that much money. Also, stop by an Interstate Barbecue and get some BBQ Spaghetti. 

I haven't spent much time in Nashville, but Third Man is neat and worth a stop. Also, get some hot chicken at Bolton's

Gus' Fried Chicken in Memphis

Central BBQ in Memphis (only thing worth a damn at Interstate is the BBQ Spaghetti)

ARDENT STUDIOS down the street from Shangri-La

Goner Records in Memphis

Get in touch with Chase Wilson at AMPMBooking in Nashville if you're looking for shows to attend (tell him I sent you his way). Guarantee he knows anything worth going to in Nashville. He can throw you to Vegan/Vegetarian places to eat in Nashville. Eat at The Pharmacy while in Nashville. Don't miss Grimey's.