Newbie looking for equipment advice

Hello, first post!

I'm a newbie in terms of turntables, and I'm finally looking to buy one after my vinyl collection has grown large enough that they are demanding to be played regularly :)

From my understanding, people typically have a dedicated system for vinyl playing; however, in my case, that is not really feasible at this point.  I currently have surround sound speakers built into the walls in my family room with no current receiver hooked up (we had an old crappy one that we discarded when we upgraded our TV... now we run sound out of the TV).  Thus, what I would like to do is get a new receiver that can accommodate surround sound for the television and accommodate a (not yet purchase) turntable.

For the turntable, I'm just about sold on the Audio-Technica AT-LP120.  My budget is going to be $1000 - $1500 USD, but that will include the turntable, a receiver, and wireless speakers (Sonos?) so that I can listen in another room as well as a subwoofer for the TV.

Thus, given this situation, what I'm looking for is the following:

1. Is the Audio-Technica AT-LP120 a good choice for a turntable?  I have looked at some other sub-$500 turntables, and it seems to be the best choice.  I don't mind spending up, but I need to keep the overall budget in mind.

2. Can anyone recommend a receiver?  I'd like to find one that can use what I think is called "zoning" in which I can play music through one set of speakers (in another room) while someone is watching TV in the family room (sound through the same receiver).

3. Would I need a preamp to improve the sound with the receiver in #2 above?  I've read about people switching off the Audio-Technica AT-LP120 amp and using an external preamp with good success.

4. If I want to play vinyl in one room and sit in another (i.e. while I am working), would Sonos speakers be a good choice?

I know this question is convoluted... I'm basically wanting to get a turntable, be able to listen to it at work, be able to listen to it in the family room when not working, and use the receiver to also drive our TV's audio.

Great stuff, thank you!!!  By RPM are you referring to the Rega RP1?  I actually had considered that but have a hard time finding favorable vs unfavorable reviews.

That link provides a bunch of great info.  This has already helped me narrow the turntable selection.

Also, can anyone comment on using Sonos wireless speakers?  I have friends that love them but they all listen to digital music through them.

He was referring to Pro-Ject's RPM line: http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?list=rpmline&cat=turntables〈=en

My advice for the table would be the Pro Ject Debut Carbon DC. If you can swing it, maybe the Carbon DC Esprit SB, depending on how much of the budget is left after the other pieces. For the difference between the two, check this: http://turntablelab.com/pages/the-difference-between-pro-ject-debut-carbon-debut-and-carbon-dc-turntables

There are lots of receivers to choose from, I'm partial to Marantz and Denon. Tons of places have the Marantz SR7007 for half off, but that's still $900 and eats up a big chunk of your budget. It's definitely worth it though. 

Not sure what performance you want out of your wireless speakers, but for casual listening from time to time, any Sonos model will do. If your after proper stereo experience, you're looking at upwards of $1k for speakers alone.

to expand on my 5.1 vs 7.1 etc question...

I just went through a similarish decision when I upgraded my AV setup.

If you have a 5.1 setup (front left/right, center, rear left/right) I recommend looking at the Marantz sr5008. It supports 7 channels total which allows you to assign 1 channel as a zone 2. It does not have a phono input, so you would need to factor that in. This is the route I ended up going (for AV only) I picked up a refurb from accessories4less for $400.

If you have a 7.1 setup, you should consider the sr6008. it has a total of 9 channels which would allow you to do 7.1 and assign the additional channel to zone 2. It also includes a phono input. I priced these and you can get a used/refurb for around $650.

You could also step up to the 700x level but that is Marantz's flagship model and that usually means $$$ as Slinch mentioned above.

The beginners guide plus a lot of the posts on here refer to the AT120 vs Project / Rega / Orbit options and their pro's and cons.

Have a search of the posts on here for AT120 and you will find more than enough info to answer most if not all of your questions.

Hey thanks for the help guys.  I have a 5.1 setup (it came with the house).  Just to confirm... without a phono input I will need a preamp, correct?  Newbie question I know, but I'm learning :)

Thanks a ton!!

Yes you will and a lot of the on board phono's on the lower end AV receivers like the on board one on the AT120 are not particularly good 

I am using the Sonos Control:Amp along with a Denon DP300f and Wharfedale diamond 10.1. That way I can listen to records throughout the house without it being stupid loud from the source. I can also play digital music in the office as well. My system sounds really good, but I could see where a dedicated record playing setup would be better. In all honesty Sonos is pretty expensive if all you want to do is expand your music from one room to the next as you are going to need 2 sonos devices to do that, and neither is cheap. 

Office - Connect Amp connected to turntable

Living Room - Connect Amp connected to home theater

Kitchen - Play 1

Dining Room - Play 5

Master Bath - Play 1

This summer I have plans to set up outdoor speakers by the pool with another Connect Amp. I personally do not like the sound of the Play 3, and haven't thought of any reason to have one of them. 

what is a 2m blue?

This: http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-2M-Blue-Phono-Cartridge?sc=9&category=-109

But that's more of an "upgrade down the road" type of purchase, the 2M Red that comes with the Carbon table is very solid.

As for the preamp, a good starting point is this one: http://www.needledoctor.com/Cambridge-Audio-Azur-551P-Phono-Preamp?sc=2&category=35249

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, I've finally found a good local store that sells turntables, and they specifically only sell Rega in the lower price range as they have had several people do side-by-side comparisons and apparently the RP1 is head and shoulders above the Pro-Ject Carbon.  I realize this goes contrary to this thread, so I did some searching but didn't find really any good explanations.  I'm going in this weekend to talk to the guys in this store, but I'm curious if anyone here has specific reasons as to why they prefer one over the other?  

From what I can tell, it looks like all the Pro-Ject has going for it (vs the Rega) is that it comes with a carbon arm whereas the Rega is built for upgrading over time.  It also looks to me like they are quite similar, but the dude at this store when I called swore that I would be able to tell a difference.

Any thoughts?

Given the choice I would go Rega every time and mainly because of the Rega arm.

The Rega RB250 and 300 have been the industry standard tonearm for a very long time and as far as the two decks go they are both pretty basic things but the stand out differentiator is that arm, the Carbon does have an acrylic platter which is always good but this is pretty easy fixed with the Rega.

Also as the guys in the shop are telling you there is a lot more upgrade room with the Rega

Do an image search on some of the better high end turntables of the last 30 years and you will see a lot that people have fitted an RB250, 300 or one of it's variants to, I doubt you will see many with a Project arm.

I'm not saying Project don't produce a nice product and nice arms but you have to go a fair way up their particular food chain before you get an arm as fundamentally good.