PO NOW: Make Do and Mend - Don't Be Long

alogical

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't heard many recent thoughts on this record. I just gave this my third or fourth listen and...

I really like the songs, but dude's voice sounds wrecked to me. Some songs I find myself thinking, "Was that really the best vocal take they got in the can?" I realize they're going for a more "raw" and "stripped down" sound because people hated on the last record (I liked it almost as much as EMM, for the record) but sometimes the vocals sound just... off. Any other thoughts on this record now that it's had time to sit?

I love this record, and his voice on it. I think the problem with not seeing much about it is the "scene" fans who loved EMM either hated EYEL so much that they don't care or have just moved on from a lot of those bands in general. Plus they went off the grid for quite awhile, that didn't help.

Saw this at a local joint the other day and thought about getting it, but wanted an opinion on it first. I have End Measured Mile and love it, never heard Everything You Ever Loved or whatever. The shop also had that in as well. Should I snag em both, or a particular one?

A lot of fans thought Everything You Ever Loved was overproduced or too mainstream or too slick or polished or whatever. I agreed at first but eventually came to love it- listened to it this morning instead of the new one, actually. If you find yourself sensitive to that sort of thing (as in, you think Caution was too slick like many people did), I'd say the new album would be more to your liking.

I love this record, and his voice on it. I think the problem with not seeing much about it is the "scene" fans who loved EMM either hated EYEL so much that they don't care or have just moved on from a lot of those bands in general. Plus they went off the grid for quite awhile, that didn't help.

couldn't agree more. 

I love the record, feels like a terrific middle ground between the two previous LPs. I would really say any fan of the band should pretty much be into it.

My thought exactly. I really digg this new record, but then again I love all of their records. I didn't have a problem with the change of sound on EYEL, imo it felt like a more mature record, but with that being said then EEM is still my favorite MDAM record with a small margin. But both Don't Be Long and EYEL are great records as well. I'm really sad about the current state of the band, I so hope they will stay together and there will be more records and tours to come in the future.

• 3 weeks later...